XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > X5 Photo/Video/Audio Gallery

07-30-2020, 08:24 AM   #1
SkypirateX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Skypirate's return to the E70 chassis. 2012 MCB X5M build "Monte"

After 5 years with my M3 I once again began to crave a larger more road trip friendly (read practical) vehicle. The E70 X5M has always had a soft spot in my heart after owning a 2011 M Sport prior to the E92.

I casually perused the market for almost 2 years before I finally sold my M3 and picked up a mint 2012 MCB X5M.
It had almost none of the options that were "must haves" for me nor was it a 13' which at one point was all I was looking for.
The MCB/SS color combo & relatively low miles were enough to justify a second look, which ultimately lead to me flying across the country and buying it. Despite being a North East car it is likely one of the cleanest examples in the USA. A lot of people claim their vehicles have "never seen snow" but this was beyond evident & to top it off the car was clearly garaged all its life.

Since I purchased "Monte" almost a month and a half ago, I've driven it from its previous home in New Jersey down to my friends shop in Nashville, German Motorworks.

Monte is currently undergoing round one of a "mid life refresh" and some "starter mods" as follows:
-Replacing the various vacuum & crank case lines that are known to go bad
-Front & Rear differential + transfer case fluid's (Transmission was fully refreshed just before I bought it)
-New Spark Plugs & Coil Packs
-Latest revision oil pump
-Latest revision expansion tank
-90° thermostat
-New TPMS
-Solid thrust arms
-1.2" H&R springs with new dust boots & M5 competition bump stops
-BPM tune
-XHP stage 3 transmission flash
-AA downpipes w/ high temp coating & PTP lava wrap
-PTP turbo blanket
-"OEM Exhaust Mod" with the addition of an X pipe before the muffler
-3.5" dry carbon exhaust tips
-90mm wheel stud conversion w/ titan race nuts
-15/20mm spacers
-a laundry list of vehicle coding
-all of the gloss black & color matched exterior goodies IND has to offer

I'm probably forgetting a few other things, stay tuned for the finished product.
Attached Images

07-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #2
SkypirateX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Downpipes, new o2 sensors & PTP Blanket installed
Attached Images

08-04-2020, 07:04 AM   #3
SkypirateX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Synchro Design Works solid thrust arms and H&R's are in. Should have everything wrapped up at the end of this week.
Attached Images

08-04-2020, 07:11 AM   #4
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

What drop did you get and using the links in the back? What does thrust arms do?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 07:25 AM   #5
SkypirateX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick View Post
What drop did you get and using the links in the back? What does thrust arms do?
I did the 1.2" with the rear links set at 65mm. Combined with M5 competition bump stops I shouldn't experience the harsh ride you commonly read about.
I'll be back with the results on that. If the ride sucks I'll run the links up a turn & rinse and repeat until it's comfortable.

The solid thrust arms will tighten up the front end. As the OEM units wear you will start to hear a clunk if you stab the brake pedal. These trucks will start to pull / float side to side as you drive once the OEM rubber deteriorates and the fluid leaks out. In theory I won't have to worry about replacing those bushings ever again. They are twice the price of OEM but if I keep the truck over 40-50,000 more miles they will pay for themselves. There is a chance they will add a tiny bit of NVH and a little more road feel to the wheel.
      08-04-2020, 09:36 AM   #6
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Nice work, look forward to your reviews. Thanks for sharing.
      08-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #7
SkypirateX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Suspension is all finished. Just waiting on the last of the cosmetic bits, alignment, software, spacers & studs.
Attached Images

08-04-2020, 03:08 PM   #8
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Hey, is the hood in a maintenance position or is it something else?? If the former show pic of the hinge...
      08-04-2020, 03:31 PM   #9
SkypirateX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
Hey, is the hood in a maintenance position or is it something else?? If the former show pic of the hinge...
Yeah and then the hood strut is secured with a lock so it doesn't inadvertently slide down
      08-05-2020, 03:09 PM   #10
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
first of all congrats, awesome car

that's a lot of maint/mods to begin with on top of the great condition of the car from the previous owner Tup, I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years to come, especially there are plenty of other cool mods for u to do in the future (like LED headlights - you wanted them in 2013 right? powerdome hood, etc, etc,...)

once again congrats and enjoy!

u never mentioned the mileage and the price you paid (u don't have to say the price if u don't want to but I assume mid 20k)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 07:49 PM   #11
SkypirateX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post

that's a lot of maint/mods to begin with on top of the great condition of the car from the previous owner Tup, I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years to come, especially there are plenty of other cool mods for u to do in the future (like LED headlights - you wanted them in 2013 right? powerdome hood, etc, etc,...)

u never mentioned the mileage and the price you paid (u don't have to say the price if u don't want to but I assume mid 20k)
Thanks man!

In terms of lights I'm thinking about going with something custom. For less than the price of OEM LED's I could send mine off to Bavgruppe or one of those companies.

Powerdome hood is for sure on the list of second round modifications.

Mileage was just over 53k when I bought it. As far as price goes I'll just say I got a pretty good deal considering the color combo, condition & all of the goodies that came with it.
      08-05-2020, 09:27 PM   #12
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkypirateX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post

Thanks man!

In terms of lights I'm thinking about going with something custom. For less than the price of OEM LED's I could send mine off to Bavgruppe or one of those companies.

Powerdome hood is for sure on the list of second round modifications.

Mileage was just over 53k when I bought it. As far as price goes I'll just say I got a pretty good deal considering the color combo, condition & all of the goodies that came with it.
fair enough! great milage as well!

would love to see how the custom headlights will turn out, I saw many but not on E70 X5M, as for LEDs u def don't want to pay dealer prices, I sourced mine of eBay for more than half the price of OEM but it was few years ago, I assume prices have come down even more now (yes I was one of the "lucky" ones who got 2013 without LEDs) but that was fixed!

love the SS interior another option I didn't have on my mcb, another plus for urs!

good luck and keep us updated
Appreciate 0