XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-25-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
Konradical6
Private
Rep
Drives: E70

Power steering pump

Hello,

I recently took my 2013 35i to the shop to replace a leaking valve gasket and oil housing gasket. The shop informed me I also have a leak from the power steering. The pump is a whopping $1500. I told them not to fix for now as it was my first time to the shop and I wasn't sure if it was something that will need replacing eventually as opposed it needs to be done right away.

1) Could someone point me to how I can check the leak to make sure whether it is the pump that's in fact at fault? I don't see any fluid on the garage floor
2) I saw fcpeuro has $250 refurbished pumps but they are for the old models, are there cheaper options for the e70 that are not $1500 if I do need a replacement?
3) I was also told I should replace the airbags springs in the back soon. Will I start seeing the rear sag to know when I need to replace these?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 12:23 PM   #2
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

Hopefully someone else with more info can chime in, but the first thing I would check is the power steering reservoir just because it's easily accessible. You should be able to see if there is fluid leaking down the outside of the lines.

The pump itself looks really robust and I haven't really heard of the pump as a common issue. That doesn't mean it doesn't fail, but may make buying used a good option if it is the pump itself. Have you checked the reservoir level at all to confirm you are actually losing fluid?

Also where did you find the shop from? Being in NY i'm sure there are a ton of shops recommended in the regional forum. Unfortunately based on so many horror stories my first assumption is that most shops are trying to take advantage of people.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 02:33 PM   #3
Konradical6
Private
Rep
Drives: E70

Yes I checked the reservoir and it seems ok. I can't really see the pump itself is it under the alternator? (Circled in pics)

I don't hear any noise or feel the steering being heavier as well

The shop was bimmer group in Astoria
Attached Images

Appreciate 0