XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-06-2019, 11:51 PM   #1
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: X5m E70|PP Performance Tune|DP

x5 e70 android screen - sound output configuration

I've read and watched enough about the installation and configuration of the Android screen (whether it is AVIN or 4x4 Shop Canada). It's all the same, minor differences here and there.

The installation is done, I LOVE IT. I got the Android 9 Version; has an upgraded interface, inputs for mic and separate GPS (for those who want to). It's awesome.

That being said, sounds to me like the audio has some issues which have caused some speculation on how well I did on the installation part.

To be more accurate, I feel like the sound is more "center" than stereo (side speakers and twitters work, they're just not "full" of sound).
Also, the subwoofers(?) under the seats are not functioning, I guess? I'm not too sure. I just don't feel their presence as I used to.

Has anyone experienced this before? maybe I should use a better AUX cable? I'm not so sure...

Suggestions on how to tackle this matter would be much appreciated.

Note: For those of you who are attempting to DIY this, I haven't seen any video showing how hard it is to put back the original stereo with all the cables behind it. Be patient. That's all I can say.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 08:38 PM   #2
nistech11
Rep
Drives: 10' X5M

It took me forever to play with the settings of the Factory AUX, equalizer and then the settings on the Android side of things. Even still I am disappointed with the quality of Bluetooth audio. I primarily bought the unit to use spotify so its a moot point i guess.

I understand what you are saying. I find myself playing with the fader/balance, its hard to explain. Ive never really been blown away with the audio in the car anyways I just needed my music haha.

That part of the install was the worst. I ended up attaching a piece of string to the big square connector and running the string down by the gas pedal. I pulled down on the string while pushing the original stereo in to fish the connector to the left side of the console. Aside from that it was straight forward.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 12:55 AM   #3
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nistech11 View Post
It took me forever to play with the settings of the Factory AUX, equalizer and then the settings on the Android side of things. Even still I am disappointed with the quality of Bluetooth audio. I primarily bought the unit to use spotify so its a moot point i guess.

I understand what you are saying. I find myself playing with the fader/balance, its hard to explain. Ive never really been blown away with the audio in the car anyways I just needed my music haha.

That part of the install was the worst. I ended up attaching a piece of string to the big square connector and running the string down by the gas pedal. I pulled down on the string while pushing the original stereo in to fish the connector to the left side of the console. Aside from that it was straight forward.
Yeah I hear you. I'm no expert in any way, but the issue here may not be a "quality" issue as much as it is an output issue. Not saying the quality is the best out there (doesn't come close tbh) but.. I've been putting my ears around the car trying to figure out what's going on.

So far, the front left and right speakers seem to be spitting volume out extremely low. The center speaker is too loud. the subwoofers under the seats are simply not working.

I'm going to try and use a different aux cable and even do the whole "aux hack" so I don't have to worry about that.

Let's see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 02:41 AM   #4
nistech11
Rep
Drives: 10' X5M

Hows the sound when playing through the CIC unit still? Does the Radio/CD player still work okay? I used the supplied AUX cable, Honestly I wish i had of used a different one after reading through the many pages. Mines not too bad, the stereo unit was such a PITA to put in I dont know if i Want to pull it just yet haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nistech11 View Post
Hows the sound when playing through the CIC unit still? Does the Radio/CD player still work okay? I used the supplied AUX cable, Honestly I wish i had of used a different one after reading through the many pages. Mines not too bad, the stereo unit was such a PITA to put in I dont know if i Want to pull it just yet haha.
So I did a quick test to see what's happening with the sound. Went to the original car menu and shifted the sound to the front entirely. My front left/right speakers are definitely not working (that includes the subs under the seats). You think it's an aux issue or should I recheck the wiring? Need to red flag this issue!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #6
pjfox23
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35i, X5M

The output is different. It's not the aux chord. Playing through the aux disables the factory DSP; that's why the subs are not working. No amount of switching and testing will help, in my experience.

Of course, if you find different, please report.

I have gone back to using the Avin as only a screen and using the factory iPod integration.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 12:39 AM   #7
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjfox23 View Post
The output is different. It's not the aux chord. Playing through the aux disables the factory DSP; that's why the subs are not working. No amount of switching and testing will help, in my experience.

Of course, if you find different, please report.

I have gone back to using the Avin as only a screen and using the factory iPod integration.
Would you mind elaborating on that? I've heard of some people using a workaround for not using the aux. Have you tried that?

Also, I'm not sure my car has ipod integration; CCC variants don't have that I guess. don't take my word for it!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 02:25 AM   #8
KmanOz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E70 3.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherArchitect View Post

The installation is done, I LOVE IT. I got the Android 9 Version; [/I]
Any chance you can supply a link? I am looking to buy and am trying to make heads and tails of the units available.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 12:32 AM   #9
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmanOz View Post
Any chance you can supply a link? I am looking to buy and am trying to make heads and tails of the units available.

Cheers
Damn Man I'm probably too late.. but umm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303...chweb201603_53

This is the exact model I got.

I have a second run to do for "fitment" and finding a solution for the front speakers; other than that its an amazing system.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 03:06 PM   #10
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Quote:
Damn Man I'm probably too late.. but umm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303...chweb201603_53

This is the exact model I got.

I have a second run to do for "fitment" and finding a solution for the front speakers; other than that its an amazing system.
I bought the same one from the same seller.

There was no manual but most things were fairly straight forward. Camera 12v can drive the camera power directly which is nicer than what some of the older units required.

I did have the center speaker connected incorrectly back into a Fl 1/Fl 2 label that effectively disabled it.

Do you happen to know if your Fl1/Fl2 wires are connected together? I just changed it last night and the center works on the factory radio but my aux audio is now dead. I am not sure if it is because i left those disconnected or if a wire came loose when I buttoned everything up (before testing like a moron).

I didn't have any aux input issues, the unit from this seller connects the aux lines in the harness. The external aux input they provide is just spliced into that. As far as I can tell if aux audio is bad it would have to be due to something else in the car also driving the aux (or pulling it to ground, etc). I bet that people who need the aux input connected just connected a dummy wire it would work... Aux inputs sometimes just disconnect everything when a plug is inserted which I think would be enough based on the unit's wiring.

-Rich
      09-05-2019, 05:50 PM   #11
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryantaz View Post
I bought the same one from the same seller.

There was no manual but most things were fairly straight forward. Camera 12v can drive the camera power directly which is nicer than what some of the older units required.

I did have the center speaker connected incorrectly back into a Fl 1/Fl 2 label that effectively disabled it.

Do you happen to know if your Fl1/Fl2 wires are connected together? I just changed it last night and the center works on the factory radio but my aux audio is now dead. I am not sure if it is because i left those disconnected or if a wire came loose when I buttoned everything up (before testing like a moron).

I didn't have any aux input issues, the unit from this seller connects the aux lines in the harness. The external aux input they provide is just spliced into that. As far as I can tell if aux audio is bad it would have to be due to something else in the car also driving the aux (or pulling it to ground, etc). I bet that people who need the aux input connected just connected a dummy wire it would work... Aux inputs sometimes just disconnect everything when a plug is inserted which I think would be enough based on the unit's wiring.

-Rich

Could be the same issue here; I'll reopen it next week. It's such a hassle to reopenand put it back together though...

I'll update once I have some tangible info.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 04:45 PM   #12
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
Quote:
Could be the same issue here; I'll reopen it next week. It's such a hassle to reopenand put it back together though...

I'll update once I have some tangible info.

Cheers
It is in and seems to be working great.

My static issue was something dumb when I was in a hurry, it got on AM radio instead of AUX. Once I got it back on AUX it was fine.

I am using the original hands free Bluetooth for calls and have the unit's bluetooth off.

I use an app on my phone to turn on its wifi tethering when I connect to the car's bluetooth.

I bought a 16ft GPS male to female extension cable for the antenna that I ran down the drivers side to the factory GPS antenna which cost me $10.50 on amazon.

My car doesn't have NAV and only used the GPS for roadside assistance module (which is a feature that isn't active anyway)... Strangely it did give an SOS error when I disconnected the factory antenna. I was going to split the antenna with a Fakra Y cable but decided that I just need a weak signal (enough to avoid no signal errors) to the original roadside assistance module so I connected the antenna provided with the android head unit to it and just stuck that above the car amplifier (so far that works just fine, no more SOS startup warning). For my setup that gave a nice clean antenna connection for the best possible signal to the Android unit..

Non connections:

Speaker 1 Fl 1
Speaker 2 Fl 2
Name:  android unused wires.jpg
Views: 7643
Size:  86.3 KB
X1 key
One of the CAN wires
Rear Camera DET (I think this is for the 360 camera instead of the Rear Camera)
Aux Out
Mic In

-Rich

Last edited by rbryantaz; 09-09-2019 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 08:16 AM   #13
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
It is in and seems to be working great.

My static issue was something dumb when I was in a hurry, it got on AM radio instead of AUX. Once I got it back on AUX it was fine.

I am using the original hands free Bluetooth for calls and have the unit's bluetooth off.

I use an app on my phone to turn on its wifi tethering when I connect to the car's bluetooth.

I bought a 16ft GPS male to female extension cable for the antenna that I ran down the drivers side to the factory GPS antenna which cost me $10.50 on amazon.

My car doesn't have NAV and only used the GPS for roadside assistance module (which is a feature that isn't active anyway)... Strangely it did give an SOS error when I disconnected the factory antenna. I was going to split the antenna with a Fakra Y cable but decided that I just need a weak signal (enough to avoid no signal errors) to the original roadside assistance module so I connected the antenna provided with the android head unit to it and just stuck that above the car amplifier (so far that works just fine, no more SOS startup warning). For my setup that gave a nice clean antenna connection for the best possible signal to the Android unit..

Non connections:

Speaker 1 Fl 1
Speaker 2 Fl 2
Attachment 2138506
X1 key
One of the CAN wires
Rear Camera DET (I think this is for the 360 camera instead of the Rear Camera)
Aux Out
Mic In

-Rich

Rich, I cannot thank you enough for this info! and I LOL'd hard about the AM mis-hap! it happened to me, but I could tell it switched to the radio because it landed on some station (sn: glad to know I'm not the only one with the switching channels issue)

I'm visiting the shop this Thursday for some regular maintenance; while that is going on, I'll delve into the wires and see what's what.

I'm removing the supplied mic and getting back on the car's bluetooth for phone, even though I like the "system" on the android screen better (from a usability POV)

Would you mind sharing photos of the fit and finish of the screen you have installed? mine doesn't seem to be "clean" enough.

Have a great day!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #14
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
Quote:
Rich, I cannot thank you enough for this info! and I LOL'd hard about the AM mis-hap! it happened to me, but I could tell it switched to the radio because it landed on some station (sn: glad to know I'm not the only one with the switching channels issue)

I'm visiting the shop this Thursday for some regular maintenance; while that is going on, I'll delve into the wires and see what's what.

I'm removing the supplied mic and getting back on the car's bluetooth for phone, even though I like the "system" on the android screen better (from a usability POV)

Would you mind sharing photos of the fit and finish of the screen you have installed? mine doesn't seem to be "clean" enough.

Have a great day!

Cheers

Fit and finish looks pretty good. The trim looks like it might scratch fairly easily but it blends pretty well. Worst case I can add the 3M carbon wrap like the wood trim.

-Rich

Name:  android 1.jpg
Views: 7538
Size:  111.4 KB

Name:  android 4.jpg
Views: 7219
Size:  85.0 KB

Name:  android 3.jpg
Views: 7221
Size:  81.7 KB

Name:  android 5.jpg
Views: 7272
Size:  119.8 KB

Name:  android 6.jpg
Views: 7388
Size:  85.0 KB
      09-16-2019, 12:11 AM   #15
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Fit and finish looks pretty good. The trim looks like it might scratch fairly easily but it blends pretty well. Worst case I can add the 3M carbon wrap like the wood trim.

-Rich

Attachment 2139058

Attachment 2139059

Attachment 2139060

Attachment 2139061

Attachment 2139062

The plastic trim they added doesn't fit "flush" with the ac vent; I thought that may have been a problem on my end when installing it.

Either way; I delayed the visit to the shop on Thursday because my panoramic roof trap got stuck and I'm getting it fixed instead.

I'll get to the screen in the days to come.... hopefully...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 06:49 PM   #16
Awesomeo2000
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70

Hello all. I am a newby here and am loving all the great advice and information. I have recently purchased a 2008 X5 E70 4.8i and am loving it with the exception of the lack of connectivity of the CCC. My last car had CarPlay and I am missing that considerably. Had a quote from Bimmerretrofit for a full NBT Evo retrofit with CarPlay but with the conversion costs, Im in Australia, Was staring down the barrel of $3600!!!!! Love the look of these android units and from all accounts they work fantastically, however I am big on my music while driving and all of the audio concerns have me worried. I saw a vid on youtube that they guy ran a high quality aux cable from the head unit to the centre console plug. Has anyone tried that? Short of this audio issue I'm ready to pull the trigger.
Thank you all in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 05:47 AM   #17
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomeo2000 View Post
Hello all. I am a newby here and am loving all the great advice and information. I have recently purchased a 2008 X5 E70 4.8i and am loving it with the exception of the lack of connectivity of the CCC. My last car had CarPlay and I am missing that considerably. Had a quote from Bimmerretrofit for a full NBT Evo retrofit with CarPlay but with the conversion costs, Im in Australia, Was staring down the barrel of $3600!!!!! Love the look of these android units and from all accounts they work fantastically, however I am big on my music while driving and all of the audio concerns have me worried. I saw a vid on youtube that they guy ran a high quality aux cable from the head unit to the centre console plug. Has anyone tried that? Short of this audio issue I'm ready to pull the trigger.
Thank you all in advance.
Congrats on your purchase! Be sure to remove any unnecessary M badges

You'll love the unit, no doubt. Nbt is overrated.

The audio issues can be easily solved in several ways, one of which is the audio. If you're big on music, like I am, this will probably the best purchase you make for the car.

Just be sure you do it with the help of someone who knows what he's doing. Other than that, it's a steal.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #18
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
Quote:
The plastic trim they added doesn't fit "flush" with the ac vent; I thought that may have been a problem on my end when installing it.

Either way; I delayed the visit to the shop on Thursday because my panoramic roof trap got stuck and I'm getting it fixed instead.

I'll get to the screen in the days to come.... hopefully...
I don't think that gap is that bad. Most would never notice it.

The factory gap at the top of the glovebox in the dash is worse if you look up at it...

-Rich
      10-03-2020, 01:48 AM   #19
mister_swede
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71

Garage List
2012 BMW X6  [0.00]
I got my from Andream on ALI and all is good but this supplier has not center speaker Cable in the harness. So when i use navi in adroid it uses aux. If i use oem radio and Android navi the navi will not speak. Is there any solution?
Does the 2 wires for center speaker solve this?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 02:06 AM   #20
mister_swede
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71

Garage List
2012 BMW X6  [0.00]
This is the wire i am talking about

5, If your car with the middle speaker for GPS, then you need to connect below 2 cables to the middle speaker. (if the car without the middle speaker, then no need to connect) 16, The connection of the middle speaker (one is input and one is output)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 11:42 AM   #21
christoepurrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

For those of you with factory bluetooth audio/combox, how is the sound quality?

Looking to update to one of these android units, although don't really want to compromise sound quality. From what I've read, I am able to use the android for the screen/carplay capabilities and connect to the factory CIC/bluetooth to play music.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 12:41 PM   #22
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoepurrr View Post
For those of you with factory bluetooth audio/combox, how is the sound quality?

Looking to update to one of these android units, although don't really want to compromise sound quality. From what I've read, I am able to use the android for the screen/carplay capabilities and connect to the factory CIC/bluetooth to play music.
FWIW, I think the sound is much improved from units a few years ago. It is a step down compared to the OEM sound system. I have a post (#148) in my thread about android sound and have been attempting to find an alternative that provides exceptional sound...but I've been distracted and have not gotten back to that challenge since the summer..will get around to testing a new dac and different Q5 amp sometime soon....

Edit: there is another member here that was successful in improved sound using a DAC, but I've not gotten details from him yet how he connected and the extent to how it is used.

Last edited by argento; 10-20-2020 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0