XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-24-2020, 12:02 PM   #1
winjury
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 n55/ 2012 e70 n63

JB4 bs ESS

So I am done with the JB4 piggyback on my e70 n63, its just nothing to write home about. My buddy has the ESS on his e70 n63 and that thing responds, shifts and moves must faster then mine ever did so I am considering going to the N63 E-Flash ECU Performance Software offered by esstuning. I have seen it first hand, but does anyone else have any experience or reviews on this product? thanks in advance!
      08-24-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by winjury View Post
So I am done with the JB4 piggyback on my e70 n63, its just nothing to write home about. My buddy has the ESS on his e70 n63 and that thing responds, shifts and moves must faster then mine ever did so I am considering going to the N63 E-Flash ECU Performance Software offered by esstuning. I have seen it first hand, but does anyone else have any experience or reviews on this product? thanks in advance!
I have the tune and love it, completely transforms the truck. Dropped my 0-60 down into the low 4's. It will basically make the 50i as quick as a stock M with the 91 octane stage 1 tune. They will give you a stage 2 tune also If you request it but requires 93 octane.

I actually visited their shop as they are local and it's impressive, these guys know what they are doing and will even customize the tune to what Mods you have done. Highly recommend them.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 05:34 PM   #3
winjury
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
I have the tune and love it, completely transforms the truck. Dropped my 0-60 down into the low 4's. It will basically make the 50i as quick as a stock M with the 91 octane stage 1 tune. They will give you a stage 2 tune also If you request it but requires 93 octane.

I actually visited their shop as they are local and it's impressive, these guys know what they are doing and will even customize the tune to what Mods you have done. Highly recommend them.
Thanks so much for the review on your first hand experience! Was the install difficult? I know I have to hook up my computer, hoping it works on a mac or i may have to borrow something. Last question, any ill effects on the truck sense it has been tuned? I am guessing this increases the hp a descent amount and I am not naive to the fact that these engines are ticking time bombs in stock form.
      08-24-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks so much for the review on your first hand experience! Was the install difficult? I know I have to hook up my computer, hoping it works on a mac or i may have to borrow something. Last question, any ill effects on the truck sense it has been tuned? I am guessing this increases the hp a descent amount and I am not naive to the fact that these engines are ticking time bombs in stock form.
Install was super easy, they send you a cable (not sure if it works on Mac, email them before purchase to make sure) and a USB be with software. You MUST hook up a battery charger that outputs at least 10amps as the next step requires about an hour to do the initial backup (turn on your running lights so the car computer doesn't go into sleep mode just to be sure). After the backup, you email them this file. Within about 24 hours they will email you back the tune you requested customized to your x5.

Hook back up your PC and load the new tune (only takes about 5 to 10min to load the tune, it's just the initial backup that takes forever). Even though loading it up is fast, I recommend always using a battery charger when loading anything to your DME, low voltage during the write process can ruin it so best insurance policy there is.

You can load back the original factory tune anytime you want or change to between stage 1 and stage 2.

As for how it changes the feel, it is like having a different engine, hard to explain, so much more responsive and the when you go past half throttle it just keeps pouring on the power. They claim 100+hp increase and I believe it. Stock 0-60 was around 6.7 seconds when I bought the truck with nearly 100k on it. After fixing transmission issues and carbon cleanup on the valves, it was 5.6 seconds which is what a new 50i did. After tune it dropped it to 4.4 seconds (4.2 with 1foot rollout) on my draggy. I do have downpipes too. But the 5.6 to 4.4 times only change was the tune. With a custom intake I am building, the exhaust cutouts I just added, Aplina Intercoolers I installed, and stage 2 tune I will load when it cools down plus XHP tune for transmission (when it comes out), I am hopeful for a 3.5 second 0-60 and high 11's, maybe mid. Will add jb4 and meth stacked on tune if needed.

I noticed the boost increased from stock which varied from 10 to 13 psi depending on temp to 15 to 18psi depending on temp along with timing and can advance and fuel mapping changes.

Be ready to order new plugs and coils though, I'd yours are weak then you will get misfire codes. I replaced mine before loading the new tune and have had zero issues.

If you have more then 60k on your plugs/coils then just do I now before you load the tune and save yourself the headache. Use Eldor coils from ECS tuning and Bosch 8165 plugs which are the latest design for the S63/n63 engines.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:03 PM   #5
winjury
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Install was super easy, they send you a cable (not sure if it works on Mac, email them before purchase to make sure) and a USB be with software. You MUST hook up a battery charger that outputs at least 10amps as the next step requires about an hour to do the initial backup (turn on your running lights so the car computer doesn't go into sleep mode just to be sure). After the backup, you email them this file. Within about 24 hours they will email you back the tune you requested customized to your x5.

Hook back up your PC and load the new tune (only takes about 5 to 10min to load the tune, it's just the initial backup that takes forever). Even though loading it up is fast, I recommend always using a battery charger when loading anything to your DME, low voltage during the write process can ruin it so best insurance policy there is.

You can load back the original factory tune anytime you want or change to between stage 1 and stage 2.

As for how it changes the feel, it is like having a different engine, hard to explain, so much more responsive and the when you go past half throttle it just keeps pouring on the power. They claim 100+hp increase and I believe it. Stock 0-60 was around 6.7 seconds when I bought the truck with nearly 100k on it. After fixing transmission issues and carbon cleanup on the valves, it was 5.6 seconds which is what a new 50i did. After tune it dropped it to 4.4 seconds (4.2 with 1foot rollout) on my draggy. I do have downpipes too. But the 5.6 to 4.4 times only change was the tune. With a custom intake I am building, the exhaust cutouts I just added, Aplina Intercoolers I installed, and stage 2 tune I will load when it cools down plus XHP tune for transmission (when it comes out), I am hopeful for a 3.5 second 0-60 and high 11's, maybe mid. Will add jb4 and meth stacked on tune if needed.

I noticed the boost increased from stock which varied from 10 to 13 psi depending on temp to 15 to 18psi depending on temp along with timing and can advance and fuel mapping changes.

Be ready to order new plugs and coils though, I'd yours are weak then you will get misfire codes. I replaced mine before loading the new tune and have had zero issues.

If you have more then 60k on your plugs/coils then just do I now before you load the tune and save yourself the headache. Use Eldor coils from ECS tuning and Bosch 8165 plugs which are the latest design for the S63/n63 engines.
thanks for the added info, very cool. question- you say you are buidling a custom intake, please elaborate this is something i am working out plans for. The only hitch I am trying to figure out is the MAF sensors, i have no idea who to turn to in order to address this.
Also what is stage 2?
      09-04-2020, 12:30 PM   #6
beetle6986
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi, E70 X5 50, 04 Cobra

Quote:

I was thinking about getting a JB4 as the MHD/JB4 runs pretty good on the 335. However, it seems the n54 is their area of expertise. They have pretty much stopped doing anything with the n63. Looks like ESS tuning might be the way to go. I also considered Dinan, but I don't know much about them. My X5 has around 105,000 miles on it, but the engine only has about 10,000 miles.

Does the ESS tune allow for data logging?
2016 Mustang GT Roush Phase 2 with VMP 767 HP kit.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 10:50 PM   #7
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Then you have it set wrong. You can also take it a step further and run "stacked" which means you're running JB4 and a flash tune. Unfortunately most "tuners" for this vehicle are basic canned tunes, nothing special, just copy and paste. JB4 will allow you to push it even further, control meth, data logging, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 10:51 PM   #8
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle6986 View Post
I was thinking about getting a JB4 as the MHD/JB4 runs pretty good on the 335. However, it seems the n54 is their area of expertise. They have pretty much stopped doing anything with the n63. Looks like ESS tuning might be the way to go. I also considered Dinan, but I don't know much about them. My X5 has around 105,000 miles on it, but the engine only has about 10,000 miles.

Does the ESS tune allow for data logging?
Unfortunately MHD won't touch our platform. We run MHD on the GF's 535 and it made a world of difference.

No, ESS is nothing more than a software flash. JB4 is the only thing you're gonna be able to use for data logging.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2020, 01:16 PM   #9
beetle6986
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think realistically you might be able to get mid to high 12s. It's not going to hit 11s. An X5M with more HP can't run those times. I would expect my 335 with 500 HP to break into the 11s, but that is super light compared to a X5.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 04:16 PM   #10
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think realistically you might be able to get mid to high 12s. It's not going to hit 11s. An X5M with more HP can't run those times. I would expect my 335 with 500 HP to break into the 11s, but that is super light compared to a X5.
Getting it to 11's is guaranteed for me, wether I can do it on the stock internals with 155k is is the real question. I will need 650+ at the crank to push a 5300lb tank to those speeds.

I am already matching stock x5m power levels however the intake has to be completely reworked, beyond even what the M has (which sucks too) and larger turbos plus meth and right around 24-27psi will do the trick to reach my 11 second goal. Again will the stock cast pistons, rods, crank last for even a few runs at that level? Only one way to find out. A forged bottom end maybe the only way, will be interesting to see how far it can be pushed.

I am working on the intake now, a have few ideas to increase the effectiveness of those baby turbos the n63 has. Weeks away from being done. But none of this makes a difference until XHP comes out with a tune for the transmission and removes the torque limiters which I am hitting even now at just 15psi.
Appreciate 2
m5james429.00
TTV8M113.50
      09-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #11
beetle6986
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Getting it to 11's is guaranteed for me, wether I can do it on the stock internals with 155k is is the real question. I will need 650+ at the crank to push a 5300lb tank to those speeds.

I am already matching stock x5m power levels however the intake has to be completely reworked, beyond even what the M has (which sucks too) and larger turbos plus meth and right around 24-27psi will do the trick to reach my 11 second goal. Again will the stock cast pistons, rods, crank last for even a few runs at that level? Only one way to find out. A forged bottom end maybe the only way, will be interesting to see how far it can be pushed.

I am working on the intake now, a have few ideas to increase the effectiveness of those baby turbos the n63 has. Weeks away from being done. But none of this makes a difference until XHP comes out with a tune for the transmission and removes the torque limiters which I am hitting even now at just 15psi.
Aftermarket turbos and 650 could do it. I thought you were hoping for that with basic mods like downpipes and a tune. What are you using to datalog? How do you know you are pushing 15 LBs of boost with the ESS tune?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 12:32 PM   #12
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Aftermarket turbos and 650 could do it. I thought you were hoping for that with basic mods like downpipes and a tune. What are you using to datalog? How do you know you are pushing 15 LBs of boost with the ESS tune?
Nah, mid 12s is about best one could hope for with just pipes and a tune. Using JB4 to datalog. None of this matters though until XHP releases tune for the transmission. It's already pulling boost In most gears at the level I am at right now. I am most likely making a bit more power then what it would normally with just a stage 1 tune and pipes as when I had the heads off, I did a mild port and polish job on them.

The datalog shows it pull boost, especially in 3rd and 6th as torque limits are set lower in those gears and I can watch it in real time. I 3dprinted a dual guage mount and added a boost gauge for each bank.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 09-25-2020 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 02:26 PM   #13
beetle6986
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nah, mid 12s is about best one could hope for with just pipes and a tune. Using JB4 to datalog. None of this matters though until XHP releases tune for the transmission. It's already pulling boost In most gears at the level I am at right now. I am most likely making a bit more power then what it would normally with just a stage 1 tune and pipes as when I had the heads off, I did a mild port and polish job on them.

The datalog shows it pull boost, especially in 3rd and 6th as torque limits are set lower in those gears and I can watch it in real time. I 3dprinted a dual guage mount and added a boost gauge for each bank.
Looks like a decent setup. I guess I'll just assume the ESS tune is dialed in. I'm installed the XHP transmission tune tonight.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:02 AM   #14
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

How does ESS tune compare to Dinan tune?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:07 AM   #15
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Unless you're somehow still under the factory warranty and/or trying to cater to fanboyz at resale, $$Dinan$$ is notoriously tame compared to everyone else so there's no point. I'm running an HCP flash and I'd still say ESS > $$Dinan$$.

Last edited by m5james; 10-28-2020 at 12:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:20 AM   #16
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Unless you're somehow still under the factory warranty and/or trying to cater to fanboyz at resale, $$Dinan$$ is notoriously tame compared to everyone else so there's no point. I'm running an HCP flash and I'd still say ESS > $$Dinan$$.
I see Dinan flash is $700 vs $1000 for the ESS.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:27 AM   #17
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Write ESS, I bet they'll happily match it...I'm guessing you're committed to $$Dinan$$ though.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 08:08 PM   #18
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Write ESS, I bet they'll happily match it...I'm guessing you're committed to $$Dinan$$ though.
Not really committed to anything yet, just trying to do some research. Never done any kind of tunes before.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 08:20 PM   #19
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

$ for $, I'm sure you'll be happier with ESS.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:08 PM   #20
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post
Not really committed to anything yet, just trying to do some research. Never done any kind of tunes before.
Don't forget you get two tunes with them, stage 1 and stage 2 and you get the adapter to be able to switch back and forth at anytime or go back to stock whenever you want. Below are the before and after installing just the stage 1 tune, the tune alone shaved a second and half off my 0-60 time. I have yet to install the Stage 2 but want to max out the stage 1 first before I go to the next level. I think a 4 second flat 0-60 time is possible once I get some issues fixed just with the stage 1. I do have downpipes and did do a mild port and polish job but you can see from the draggy time slip before, I wasnt any faster then a stock new stock 50i with a 1foot 0-60 of 5.71 (and that was on a slope!)so the downpipes and mods I did just countered the age and wear and tear on the engine. Best it could do before I did downpipes and cleaned up carbon in the heads was a 6.8 second 0-60.

Keep in mind this is just a N63 powered 50i with 160,000 miles on it, I have a leaky diverted valve that needs to be replaced and you can see in the g-forces recorded how much time is wasted by the slow shifts of my transmission, if you look at the jb4 log, my throttle plates are closed for almost a combined full second waiting for the transmission to shift (XHP didn't help)

If their tune can make a 160,000 mile N63 as fast as this, I would think it can take a M into the 3.5 second 0-60 or lower and 11's in the 1/4 as they appear to know what they are doing and the tunes are customized for you if you have any mods.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 02:07 PM   #21
beetle6986
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was also trying to decide between Dinan and ESS. I ruled out JB4 as they didn't seem to be too active with the N63 platform anymore and currently only run a stage 1 with much smaller gains. I do however like the logging capabilities on the JB4. It looks like Dinan and ESS have very similiar HP gains from their tunes (close to 100 HP). This thing is quick for a SUV, but slow compared to the other cars we are used to driving.

Last edited by beetle6986; 10-30-2020 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 03:47 PM   #22
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

I think you guys convinced me to go with the ESS. Should I try to email their general email on the website to see if they will match Dinan's price?
Appreciate 0