XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-28-2020, 03:15 PM   #1
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 m3 coupe 08 e90 M3

WTB X5 M

Is there any X5 owners out there that have had to replace there engine due to failure?

I’m looking to purchase a 2011 X5 M. With 84k miles. Meticulously maintained at BMW. Do these engines see a lot of failures? Is there anything preventative to bullet proof the engine. (Like rod bearings on a e90 M)

Car prices are really high right now. Due to hyper inflation. Which generally happens just before the economy collapses.

I don’t mean to get off track here. But the vehicle is at a dealer auction. (I have my dealer license) My pricing tool says the most I should pay is $19,500. That would be trade in value. The retail value is roughly $25,000. Is this a good value? Do I need to leave a large sum of $$ on the side for preventative?

If an engine fails. What is the going rate for a new one?

Cheers-
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
I would most definitely shop around to get an exclusionary warranty for it. After finding one for a good price ($4500 for 5 years/60K miles), that was my go ahead to get mine. As much as I have had ZERO (knock on wood) problems on mine (not even a single CEL, well other than replacing the coolant reservoir), after one year and 8 months/13K miles, I would not get one without one, unless you can wrench it yourself. Based on all the inputs I've read in this forum, the likelihood that you will pay more for repairs than the reasonable cost of an exclusionary warranty is high.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 m3 coupe 08 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobacs View Post
I would most definitely shop around to get an exclusionary warranty for it. After finding one for a good price ($4500 for 5 years/60K miles), that was my go ahead to get mine. As much as I have had ZERO (knock on wood) problems on mine (not even a single CEL, well other than replacing the coolant reservoir), after one year and 8 months/13K miles, I would not get one without one, unless you can wrench it yourself. Based on all the inputs I've read in this forum, the likelihood that you will pay more for repairs than the reasonable cost of an exclusionary warranty is high.
I am a BMW technician, and have a two post lift at my house. With Ista-D and all necessary diagnostics.

Maintenance isn't an issue. The issue is. If the engine decides to grenade. I don't want to have to spend my life saving replacing it. Not sure a warranty is worth it for that.

Would it be worth replacing the oil pump, and rod bearings? Will that help bullet proof it? I know I have heard of com rods failing as well. Which is sad, to hear an any M engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 07:21 PM   #4
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

I wouldn’t worry if you’re a technician and having a lift post. Most of us are very mechanically incline but have no lift post and we still get the job done( with tons of swearing and back breaking).
Just replaced those parts as you mentioned to prevent it from breaking. Although not bulletproof but better chances of grenading.
Rods usually don’t break. Bearings get seized and is forced to turn from the working cylinder, so they bend or break.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #5
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5M/Ford Raptor/19 BMW i3

Rod bearing failures are relatively common with the S63. I had a failure and had to spend $13K(even with a warranty cover $16K) to get back on the road. Maintenance history is critical. If what you're looking at has been properly maintained, you will likely be fine for many miles. That said, if you have the time and skills, I'd recommend replacing rod bearings before they have a chance of failing.
2019 i3
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 10:46 PM   #6
YASSA
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 X5M

I've just finished a full rebuild of the S63. The E70 X5M is an incredible car when it works. Full rebuild was $16,000AUD. Engine needs to be dropped in order to do the timing chain correctly.
Appreciate 0