XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-20-2022, 01:47 PM   #1
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

2012 35i rear brake rotors frozen

Is there a special programming needed to release the parking brake on a 2012 35i e70? e.g. protools, etc?

I can't get the rear rotor off even after beating it with a dead blow hammer.
It also escapes me which size bolt fits in the rotor to try to release it.
      03-22-2022, 07:25 PM   #2
nodemgr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP Coupe 6MT

Is your electronic parking brake unit broken? If so you can pull the emergency parking brake release cable in the left hand of cubby near the rear hatch. However this will disable your electronic parking brake unit...you could reset it if you take the unit out and disassemble it, though. Otherwise it needs to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 11:49 AM   #3
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodemgr View Post
Is your electronic parking brake unit broken? If so you can pull the emergency parking brake release cable in the left hand of cubby near the rear hatch. However this will disable your electronic parking brake unit...you could reset it if you take the unit out and disassemble it, though. Otherwise it needs to be replaced.
The question is not that it's broken or not.. I can't get the rotor unstuck in trying to change rotors.

My question is more around, is it needed to put it into some service mode? And can protools do it?

I might try a long bolt and a couple of nuts and washers to force it off with leverage through the caliper mount holes... Better than beating it with a hammer and damaging the rotor and not having a way to back out if I fail.
      03-23-2022, 04:33 PM   #4
nodemgr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP Coupe 6MT

You should be able to loosen the parking brake shoe using the hole in the rotor. There is a geared type nut that if you turn in the right direction will remove tension from the parking brake shoe. Since it's geared you'd need to use like a flathead screwdriver to turn it, or drum brake tools. You can search youtube on how to tension a parking brake and do the opposite to loosen it.
Appreciate 0