XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #133
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep
Drives: E61

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist_slime View Post
Crazy, I just bought the same ATM Intercooler during the black friday sale. Did you have to shave off some of the bottom shroud like in the instructions?
The shroud in front of the intercooler? Yes. I also trimmed the fan shroud to make room for the clamps on the IC inlet/outlet.

I plan on making some custom ducting the aid airflow to the entire intercooler core.
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Lines +Ethanol Sensor
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlet, AR DPs, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP +Tial
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 06:29 PM   #134
chemist_slime
Private
Rep
Drives: e70 x5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr View Post
The shroud in front of the intercooler? Yes. I also trimmed the fan shroud to make room for the clamps on the IC inlet/outlet.

I plan on making some custom ducting the aid airflow to the entire intercooler core.
Ok, so trimming was required then. Can't wait to see how you make the duct. I know that you have F85 brakes on your to-do list, any plans for air suspension?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #135
Pudgypepper
Capitan Slow Mods
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5d, E89 Z4 35i, E46 330Ci

Question for ya! I'm currently deleting my X5 and am trying to figure out the best way to pull the lines from the Active DEF tank that run along the passenger side to the rear before crossing over to the Passive Tank. Any advice? I've already got the Passive Tank out. Thanks!!

Last edited by Pudgypepper; 12-15-2019 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 01:08 PM   #136
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudgypepper View Post
Question for ya! I'm currently deleting my X5 and am trying to figure out the best way to pull the lines from the Active DEF tank that run along the passenger side to the rear before crossing over to the Passive Tank. Any advice? I've already got the Passive Tank out. Thanks!!
Just approach it in a logical way. I just removed panels to expose the lines, unclip as necessary until they could be removed. No need for shortcuts, just work through it slowly, it isn't particularly challenging.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 02:46 PM   #137
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Need to get caught up a bit on this thread. I just returned from a 2 week road trip through CA, NV, UT, and AZ but there were some important mods which happened prior to the trip.

- Engine, Transmission, Transfer Case, and F/R Differentials all flushed and I added some "Golden Eagle" oil, more on this below.
- Installed "Phantom Fuel System"
- Swapped to ZL1 Winter wheel setup
- Converted D1S bulbs to D2S and installed custom 50w Hella ballasts
- Installed Diode Dynamics 18" LED light bar
- Installed non-3rd row cargo floor and OEM rail system

Threw the X5 on the scales, 5,100 with a 1/2 tank of gas. So this should be 5,050 on the ZL1 wheels.

First up is the Phantom Fuel system. I stumbled upon this thing while searching Craigslist for X5D related stuff. I contacted the seller for more info and after connecting over the phone, sharing some info back on forth via email I am not a beta tester for the unit. I call this thing the wizard-tube but it is essentially filled with metals that excite the fuel as it passes through which in terms helps the fuel completely burn for better performance and efficiency. The tech is derived from petroleum drilling but has been implemented into commercial diesel fleets around Texas such as semi trucks and school busses with excellent results. The system can work on all fuels types so I might throw it on my E61 that runs ethanol to see how it performs. Data on more performance oriented vehicles like the X5 is limited which is where I come in. I will be sharing more info on this later.

Fluids were all flushed and Golden Eagle oil supplement was added. You add 10% to any engine/trans/gear oil. This is derived from the commercial refrigerant market and is essentially a hyper lubricant. The concept is simple, less friction = less parasitic loss which means better performance and efficiency. Not cheap at $135/gal but you don't need much. Before/After dynos have been done on C6 Z06s and Gen 2 Vipers and show a 10whp and 30whp gain respectively.

I pieced together a square setup of 20x11 ZL1 wheels off eBay, I ended getting 4 wheels for ~$700 and with the crazy ~$90/tire I paid for the Michelin Alpin LA2 295/40/20 (Tirerack has them on "closeout" for $1,000/set) the total cost was about $1,400 for the setup which isn't "cheap" but considering the quality and weight of the wheels and that the snow tires are new, it's a great value.

2 wheels with tires arrived

The other wheels are tires arrived

The stamp of quality

Wheels bored out to 74.1mm

Tires mounted and wheels installed. 3mm spacer up front to clear wheel carrier and 25mm in the back but a 30mm would be ideal for flushness. I am VERY happy with how everything came together. I love concave wheels and this design cuits the E70 well. I will likely keep these as my summer aka "all the time minus mountain trip" wheels.

The plan was to retrofit the headlights but I ran out of time prior to the road trip so I converted the bulbs to D2S which allows me to run the 50w ballasts, this bulb/ballast setup is currently running through the stock projectors (meh) but the same setup will be paired with the Lexus SC430 projectors below. The SC430s are amazing but low-beam-only so I needed a solution for the high beam. The plan was to install quad projectors, one low + one high, but there isn't enough room to stuff a decent high beam option so I reverted to an LED light bar for high beam use. A Diode Dynamics 18" Stage series light bar in "driving" optics was my choice. This was wired into the OEM high beam which means I have I retain the high beam assist feature with the light bar. Both the 50w ballasts and light bar use relay harnesses.

Here is the back of the headlights with the D2S igniters coming through sealing grommets. The additional pigtail on the left is the OEM input for the low beam and connects to the relay harness.

Originally I tapped the high beam pigtail inside the headlight as well but it wasn't triggering the relay harness, not sure if the voltage drops or if there was something going on with the CANBUS interrupting the signal so I switched the location to the wiring harness just before the headlight connector. Pigtail is soldered in and I wrapped it up with the fresh tape.

Light bar install was simple, I bolted the adjustable brackets to the plastic shroud under the kidney grills.

Blocking the power steering cooler and having the mesh grill block the light bar are both not ideal but they are compromises I am willing to make for the high beam performance. Where the grill does block a minimal amount of light it does offer a stealthier appearance which I like.

Here are some output pics...

LED fogs

Low beam (stock projectors + Philips XV2 + 50w Hella ballasts)

High beam (projectors + LED Light bar)

With the 3rd row deleted this is what the cargo area looked like

...so I sourced the cargo floor from a non-3rd row X5 ($50) and snagged some OEM cargo rails ($50). I still need to get some touch up pieces but this is essentially how it will look. Given my 2nd row is designed for the 3rd row which means it has sliding, reclining, and pivots forward for rear entry the floor and cargo trim near the 2nd row is very different between the 3rd now and non-3rd row vehicles. The added adjustability of my second row is great and I have no interest to swap in the "static" 2nd row found on non-3rd row X5s but this also means I can't get the base piece where the cargo floor's hinges pivot on (and gas strut mount) nor can I run the cargo area side trim pieces without the built in 3rd row armrests that my X5 has. Not the end of the world but it does mean my cargo floor essentially just laying into position and isn't bolted to anything. A bit of a bummer a proper OEM conversion isn't possible but IMO the adjustability of the 2nd row is worth it. Hope that made sense!

During

After
Appreciate 2
      01-06-2020, 01:18 PM   #138
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Where did you buy that golden eagle oil supplement? Can't find any gallon jugs of it. I'd like to try it out on my next oil changes for both my m57s

Also excited to hear how your fuel system addition progresses. Keep us updated!
Spyro235258.50
      01-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #139
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
Where did you buy that golden eagle oil supplement? Can't find any gallon jugs of it. I'd like to try it out on my next oil changes for both my m57s

Second that- I'd love to try it out. Did some looking, and dyno results don't lie. More power is more efficiency!
Also super intrigued by the fuel system you have going. I'd be very curious as to what it cost, and I have some research to do- I've never heard of this kind of thing. If it were anyone else touting them, I'd probably think it was snake oil. You seem to do a ton of research into your mods though!

Upon searching, I get aeromotive inc, but don't see anything except for fuel pump systems and normal filters. Very curious for more info.

Last edited by Spyro235; 01-06-2020 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
RL18273.50
      01-06-2020, 02:57 PM   #140
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post

Second that- I'd love to try it out. Did some looking, and dyno results don't lie. More power is more efficiency!
Also super intrigued by the fuel system you have going. I'd be very curious as to what it cost, and I have some research to do- I've never heard of this kind of thing. If it were anyone else touting them, I'd probably think it was snake oil. You seem to do a ton of research into your mods though!

Upon searching, I get aeromotive inc, but don't see anything except for fuel pump systems and normal filters. Very curious for more info.
I got the same but re-read his post and this isn't on the market yet. Looks like we'll have to wait lol
Spyro235258.50
      01-07-2020, 08:27 AM   #141
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I got the same but re-read his post and this isn't on the market yet. Looks like we'll have to wait lol
I know this isn't how ucsbwsr talked about it- but I found this:
https://www.trucknews.com/products/d...us-truck-show/

It SEEMS plausible that a strong EM field from a special coil around the fuel line could affect the chains of hydrocarbons, essentially making the fuel thinner. Then for some reason, make the fuel burn more evenly. I truthfully don't know much about ICE engines and how the viscosity of fuel affects burn. Of course it would mean the fuel can atomize and spread easier, which I presume is where the affects are from. Most of my experience in terms of burning fuel was based around turbines. There's also the fact that OP's seems to function as a filter from what we know so far, and doesn't have any kind of electrical connector, telling us that this is a different idea all together. This article claims some decent gains, 10-20%. OP's on a lot more tire than I am, and got some great MPG's on his trip!
RL18273.50
      01-07-2020, 09:31 AM   #142
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I know this isn't how ucsbwsr talked about it- but I found this:
https://www.trucknews.com/products/d...us-truck-show/

It SEEMS plausible that a strong EM field from a special coil around the fuel line could affect the chains of hydrocarbons, essentially making the fuel thinner. Then for some reason, make the fuel burn more evenly. I truthfully don't know much about ICE engines and how the viscosity of fuel affects burn. Of course it would mean the fuel can atomize and spread easier, which I presume is where the affects are from. Most of my experience in terms of burning fuel was based around turbines. There's also the fact that OP's seems to function as a filter from what we know so far, and doesn't have any kind of electrical connector, telling us that this is a different idea all together. This article claims some decent gains, 10-20%. OP's on a lot more tire than I am, and got some great MPG's on his trip!
Very interesting. Although in that article it said that the system doesn't work well with twin turbos so maybe not something for our diesels. Nice to see that someone's doing the research though.

It seems more logical to me to manipulate a fuel before it's burned to burn more efficiently than trying to manipulate it afterward, or trying to burn it over and over.
Spyro235258.50
      01-07-2020, 11:16 AM   #143
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

The guy I am working with is in the process of getting the website up and running. His attention has been focused on working with some OEM suppliers as the goal is to integrate his fuel system into high-end lifetime fuel filters. He has a lot on his plate but understands there are curious minds out there and I will be sharing more info as it is ready.

On a very relevant side note, he has an E70 X5D in the family and has been running these fuel/oil products with excellent results AND he just picked up another E70 X5D to be the primary test vehicle to showcase the products so we should be getting some very useful info. The X5 was acquired a couple weeks ago and needs ~5,000 miles of baseline data before adding modifications.

In the meantime, to appease your curiosity, this is the initial info shared with me regarding the fuel system.

More later,
Evan

Operating Principles of the System - Proprietary mesh core of metal alloys serves as an enhancer to the fuel, increasing the fuels ability to burn. The increased burn rate (more complete burn), equates to more power generated per stroke. Less fuel to do the same work / same fuel to generate more power. One time install with no recurring maintenance cost or chemicals.

Power Gains - Each engine will be different, we typically see a 3-5% increase to the rear wheels. A modded engine, their numbers will be larger (just like you can expect a turbo upgrade to produce more # when you have injectors to match). Throttle response is also improved.

EGT Reductions - Across the entire RPM and engine load range, we see a 20-100+ degree drop in EGTs. Unlike water/meth that is only at a certain # till it kicks in, install of the fuel unit will reduce the temps 24-7 across the whole spectrum. This falls more in light with intake/exhaust install to reduce EGTs, but a lot faster (and all stackable).

Warranty - 5 years, with 40+ year design life. No maintenance or moving parts.

Freezing Temp - When diesel flows through the unit, we lower the gel point of the diesel. Thus a user can lean away from fuel treatments.

Fuel Economy - We market a 8-10% increase, but we often see more. This is a safe number to use. At idle alone, we have recorded 15% reduction in fuel consumption.

DEF/SCR/DPF Intact Systems - Recorded 50+% less regens with fleets. We market 50% reduction in regens. Users report 80% reduction in DEF consumption, we market 50% less DEF used. Some ECMs are set to now do a regen based on hours running and not just the differential pressure. The engine may still go to regen every x hours/miles, but they will see that the engine will not remain in a regen for as long. I have seen regen times drop from 20-30 minutes, to now 5-7 minutes. Big reductions in one way or another. Less time spent at the high temps.

Carbon Removal - Images attached. Users often see an increase in fuel rate and regens for the first fuel tank or so on a high mileage truck. Once it burns off all the carbon, we see the improvements.

Install Time - Well under 30 minutes for the average Joe. Under 10 minutes for the guy who turns his own wrench.
Appreciate 2
Spyro235258.50
Nyc Dito112.50
      01-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #144
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

That is awesome. I would absolutely love to try it in both my m57 powered vehicles.

Oh and also pretty amazing seeing the results for someone with emissions intact. I wonder what kind of emissions would be emitted before and after installation, as well as with or without emissions equipment!

I wonder if using meth would increase the efficiency even more! Can't wait for more info, and if he wants more test mules I'd love to try it out.
      01-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #145
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The guy I am working with is in the process of getting the website up and running. His attention has been focused on working with some OEM suppliers as the goal is to integrate his fuel system into high-end lifetime fuel filters. He has a lot on his plate but understands there are curious minds out there and I will be sharing more info as it is ready.

On a very relevant side note, he has an E70 X5D in the family and has been running these fuel/oil products with excellent results AND he just picked up another E70 X5D to be the primary test vehicle to showcase the products so we should be getting some very useful info. The X5 was acquired a couple weeks ago and needs ~5,000 miles of baseline data before adding modifications.

In the meantime, to appease your curiosity, this is the initial info shared with me regarding the fuel system.

More later,
Evan

Operating Principles of the System - Proprietary mesh core of metal alloys serves as an enhancer to the fuel, increasing the fuels ability to burn. The increased burn rate (more complete burn), equates to more power generated per stroke. Less fuel to do the same work / same fuel to generate more power. One time install with no recurring maintenance cost or chemicals.

Power Gains - Each engine will be different, we typically see a 3-5% increase to the rear wheels. A modded engine, their numbers will be larger (just like you can expect a turbo upgrade to produce more # when you have injectors to match). Throttle response is also improved.

EGT Reductions - Across the entire RPM and engine load range, we see a 20-100+ degree drop in EGTs. Unlike water/meth that is only at a certain # till it kicks in, install of the fuel unit will reduce the temps 24-7 across the whole spectrum. This falls more in light with intake/exhaust install to reduce EGTs, but a lot faster (and all stackable).

Warranty - 5 years, with 40+ year design life. No maintenance or moving parts.

Freezing Temp - When diesel flows through the unit, we lower the gel point of the diesel. Thus a user can lean away from fuel treatments.

Fuel Economy - We market a 8-10% increase, but we often see more. This is a safe number to use. At idle alone, we have recorded 15% reduction in fuel consumption.

DEF/SCR/DPF Intact Systems - Recorded 50+% less regens with fleets. We market 50% reduction in regens. Users report 80% reduction in DEF consumption, we market 50% less DEF used. Some ECMs are set to now do a regen based on hours running and not just the differential pressure. The engine may still go to regen every x hours/miles, but they will see that the engine will not remain in a regen for as long. I have seen regen times drop from 20-30 minutes, to now 5-7 minutes. Big reductions in one way or another. Less time spent at the high temps.

Carbon Removal - Images attached. Users often see an increase in fuel rate and regens for the first fuel tank or so on a high mileage truck. Once it burns off all the carbon, we see the improvements.

Install Time - Well under 30 minutes for the average Joe. Under 10 minutes for the guy who turns his own wrench.
Thanks so much for sharing, Evan! SUPER promising claims, and it sounds liek he's going about it right.

Quote:
That is awesome. I would absolutely love to try it in both my m57 powered vehicles.

Oh and also pretty amazing seeing the results for someone with emissions intact. I wonder what kind of emissions would be emitted before and after installation, as well as with or without emissions equipment!

I wonder if using meth would increase the efficiency even more! Can't wait for more info, and if he wants more test mules I'd love to try it out.
I'm also putting it out there that if he asks about more test mules, I'd love to participate, even if it cost me money. That are some really promising claims, and I'd love to see those benefits asap.
      01-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #146
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Thanks Evan, this is interesting. Hopefully they can get it to market sooner than later!
      01-13-2020, 04:51 PM   #147
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Here are a bunch of pics from my Holiday road trip.

Duck Creek Village, UT.
Cargo box was a life saver...

Zion National Park, UT

Zebra Slot Canyons, UT.

Bryce Canyon, UT

Sedona, AZ

Free car wash in Sedona
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/St...=w1304-h978-no

Terrible pick but proof I was in Flagstaff, AZ as well!

Lake Havasu City, AZ

Appreciate 2
      01-15-2020, 02:47 AM   #148
320iVan
Private
Rep
Drives: G31

Garage List
2011 BMW X5  [0.00]
Awesome project! Love your suv

2018 530d xDrive G31 / current
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 03:34 AM   #149
X5MBeast
Private
Rep
Drives: X5M

Looking at pictures of your road trip makes me want to call out of work so I can take my own road trip somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 12:54 PM   #150
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep

curious, whats the little black box on or near the top of the dead pedal?
      01-15-2020, 04:43 PM   #151
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320iVan View Post
Awesome project! Love your suv
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5MBeast View Post
Looking at pictures of your road trip makes me want to call out of work so I can take my own road trip somewhere.
Thanks! It's a great road trip vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
curious, whats the little black box on or near the top of the dead pedal?
Not sure what photo you are referencing exactly but I assume it's kthe BlueTooth dong what plugs into my OBD port. It's used to connect my tablet for live data, data logging, coding, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 08:26 AM   #152
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

This is the one. Thanks!
      01-16-2020, 09:26 AM   #153
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
This is the one. Thanks!
Yup, BT adapter. Might be selling it soon if anyone is interested.
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-...etooth-adapter
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 07:44 AM   #154
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Ucsbwsr do you mind sharing where to buy the golden eagle oil and which one you used? I'm doing my first oil change soon and wanted to mix some of this in. I just see two options on the website and want to be sure I'm getting the right stuff!

Also I meant to ask but did you notice any reduction in smell on your x5 after installing the phantom fuel system?
Nyc Dito112.50