XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-08-2019, 01:43 AM   #1
svt1998gt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2012 X5 M spor

Garage List
2012 152K Maintenance

Decided to take the car into the shop versus buying new.

2012 X5 N63
Currently the car is at the top getting the following:
Turbo Rebuild
Valve Stem Seal replacement
upper and lower oil pan gasket
new valve cover gaskets
Replace coolant lines and all vacuum hoses
New waterpump and thermostat
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
BXMMMMMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M

Garage List
2011 BMX X5M  [0.00]
Ouch.

What's that going to cost you? How much is covered by warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 01:20 AM   #3
svt1998gt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Zero warranty - around 9k. Once I pickup the car i will have all of the details, the found that the rear main seal was leaking, motor mounts needed to be replaced, etc. They decided to pull the engine to save time, here is the picture of it going back in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 03:22 AM   #4
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt1998gt View Post
Zero warranty - around 9k. Once I pickup the car i will have all of the details, the found that the rear main seal was leaking, motor mounts needed to be replaced, etc. They decided to pull the engine to save time, here is the picture of it going back in.
Hello fellow 150k+ N63 powered X5 owner! I've done pretty much everything you did also except my exhaust valves were severely pitted so I had to pull the heads too...my rear main seems ok so far but just a heads-up that on the N63, the turbo oil line return housing on the engine block can leak, allowing oil to run out the back weep hole which then trickles right over the rear main seal, perfectly mimicking a rear main seal leak.

Hopefully they replaced this part also, but if not and it still looks likes it's leaking out the rear main, the turbo oil return housing is the most likely culprit.

Keep us posted on how it runs and drives! I'm still working on mine...I'll finish it one day....
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:29 PM   #5
svt1998gt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Quote:
Hello fellow 150k+ N63 powered X5 owner! I've done pretty much everything you did also except my exhaust valves were severely pitted so I had to pull the heads too...my rear main seems ok so far but just a heads-up that on the N63, the turbo oil line return housing on the engine block can leak, allowing oil to run out the back weep hole which then trickles right over the rear main seal, perfectly mimicking a rear main seal leak.

Hopefully they replaced this part also, but if not and it still looks likes it's leaking out the rear main, the turbo oil return housing is the most likely culprit.

Keep us posted on how it runs and drives! I'm still working on mine...I'll finish it one day....
the mentioned replacing this line as it was crimped pretty bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:39 PM   #6
svt1998gt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Quote:

the mentioned replacing this line as it was crimped pretty bad.
so far so good, i got it back 2 weeks ago and put around 1k miles on it. boost feels good again, also the engine malfunction light is non existent after all the work.

i had to add more oil, right after picking it up, and then again a week later. indie said this was expected because a lot of oil was drained during the disassembly of the motor, etc.

i am still monitoring it, i will take it back in a few weeks to have them put it on a lift and give it a once over.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 11:48 PM   #7
Nooooooooob1
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35i, E46 330Ci

Holy cow that's a lot of work to get done!
Appreciate 0