XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
vencid78
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
X6 3.5 or 640i Cp ?

Hello everyone! I am looking to upgrade me 328i Cp to a 640i Cp or X6 3.5. I know they are two diff. vehicles and i had my hart set on the X6 but when the new 6 Series Coupe came out ... OMG. So, now it is a hard choice for me. What do i like in the X6 - space, style, taller ( i am 6'4" ), but the MPG is bad and i don't care for the AWD. The 640i on the other hand is so sexy - i am 33 years old, but don't think that is a car for the old folks.
I would like a feedback! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

I love these kinds of questions.

Lets the responder talk a little bit about why they chose the car too.

Between the 2 choices you offered, I'd go with the X6 again. Part of the reason I got my car was because, at 6'3", I find it easier to slide into and out of a higher seat. As we're similar heights, you might find it just a touch more convenient. My wife, who's 5'7", doesn't complain but I can tell it's just a little less comfortable for her to climb into the car. But that's fair since I have to squat down to get into her A3.

Utility-wise, the X6 should take it hands-down. While it's not as good on that front as the X5, if you have no children like us, it should be enough to suit you. We have a couple of 60 lbs. dogs, and it's been adequate at hauling them and occasionally a couple other people. And while you say you don't care much for the AWD, it's worthwhile if you ever plan to take your car skiing or if you live in snow climates.

While I'd expect the 640i to be a much better performer, I've also never been into the "much faster much furiouser" scene. If performance is paramount to you, obviously it would be a better choice. To be frank, if I've occasionally felt that I really like my car but don't LOVE it, it's because my last one was a lot sportier and the X6 handles like a boat in comparison. A good-handling boat, but a boat nonetheless. That's also one reason I chose the 35i instead of the 50i- the roughly 500 lbs. engine weight savings theoretically gives it slightly better performance (not to mention fuel economy), which has been mentioned in a couple of magazine reviews, but like other vehicles in its class, it's kind of a pig on roller skates. In a straight line, you'll find the stock engine is really strained moving this weight, thereby steering you toward some modifications. I added a Dinan Stage 1 chip tune almost immediately after acquiring my car; Stage 2 came on about a month ago. I think those mods (or a competing product) are essential for the 6 cylinder variant.

As far as looks go, I agree the new 6-series looks a lot better than before, but I still prefer the aggressiveness of the X6. The looks are polarizing, but I definitely fall in the "really like them" camp, and a few people have stopped to ask me about my "cool-looking" car.

Overall, as you say in your original post, these 2 are vastly different machines. The best way to decide will be to consider your own needs and go from there. One final word: You might want to check out the Porsche Cajun and the BMW X4. I'm about 75% sure I'll trade the X6 for one of those, or even a Q5 if Audi ever puts the supercharged V6 into it.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
vencid78
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
@ Rygel

Thank you for your post. It has a lot of good information.
I live in Florida ... i have not heard of X4.
Appreciate 0