XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #23
Ginger Jay
Awesome Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sold: '13 E70 50i

I am having BMW service dept do it. Too much for my non mechanical brain.

My CA hooked me up for free. Said it only takes 1/2 labor rate anyways if you were to pay.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #24
X5MFan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M 2012

Did this today after getting the blind plate. As usual when taking trim apart I was stumped by the fastener systems. But managed to get it apart. Won't say it took me 20 minutes but got it doe. Tucking the wires and circuit board in behind is tight and it took me some time to figure out the best way. In the end all closed up and I love the extra space.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #25
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5MFan View Post
Did this today after getting the blind plate. As usual when taking trim apart I was stumped by the fastener systems. But managed to get it apart. Won't say it took me 20 minutes but got it doe. Tucking the wires and circuit board in behind is tight and it took me some time to figure out the best way. In the end all closed up and I love the extra space.
Did you take any pics? Anything special or unusual?
      11-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #26
X5MFan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M 2012

Sorry no pictures. Takes two size torx screwdrivers, the two mounting bolts you see when you flip it up are obvious. The others are a bit harder to see, two are under the small rubber bushings. Once those screws are out the unit comes apart by sliding one piece forward. The other plate comes off by bending the tabs. The hinge comes apart by removing a screw inside the hinge. Had to do this to get the cables separated from the cradle. Tucking the cable and circuit board bak in behind the unit takes some patience and planning to leave room for the larger pieces. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 07:14 AM   #27
AwB
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 E70N LCI 40dX

There is arguably a much simpler way of removing the cradle than the methods discussed above (sorry to resurrect the thread, but hopefully this will help someone in a similar position)

I currently use the cradle and snap-in for my current iphone, but I plan to remove/blank when I get a new one. I trialled this method last night. I'm working on a 2012 E70 LCI.

After you unscrew the torx bolts at the base of the cradle, it is possible to fully disconnect without cutting cables, removing the armrest cubby, dismantling the console, or breaking the cradle. No risk of blowing fuses, no lost BT connectivity and fully reversible.

Access to the cable connections can be achieved by removing only one carpet panel on the RHS of the centre console. I used wide trim removal tools to slide the rearmost panel forward off its clips. Some teasers below but note these show the LHS panel. I will post photos when I do it properly.

The third picture shows the 3 cables in the conduit to disconnect: coax antenna, USB data/power and an A/V harness.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Glim21.00
      11-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #28
overheadvalve
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335I Coupe/2017 Macan

I did mine a few months ago. Got the blank plate also. I didn't cut any wires but destroyed the cradle getting it out. it's a major pain in the ass getting the wiring thing shoved back into the console so the blank plate snaps in flush but in can be done. Love the extra space.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #29
TazOjla
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5

Garage List
2007 BMW M5  [0.00]
2009 BMW X5  [0.00]
I would strongly recommend to not cut the wire as it can throw error codes and need coding to be sorted. Happened to a guy on another forum its a pain in the arse to get it in the centre console but it just about fits
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 10:14 AM   #30
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

For future iPhone cradle removers, PLEASE do not attempt what is described in the first page of this thread, or cut wires as above - the post from AwB a couple posts up here nails it. Here is another guy who posted the same on Xoutpost which is what I followed.
~15 mins, no cutting, no error codes, no kidding!
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-cradle-5.html

Remove a couple screws on cradle, one torx for the carpet, disconnect wiring, pull cradle wires up through cubby, shove remaining wires back in and replace carpet. Fill resulting hole in cubby with blank plate $10 (optional).

The hardest part is figuring out how to release the insane cable connectors that BMW uses where you disconnect the cradle wiring from the harness sticking out of the tranny tunnel.
Hints - there are three different kinds of connectors total for the 4 wires; lift blue portions on two of them then pull them apart; & the larger one has a lever that you can swing to release it after you push(pull?) a tiny little catch next to it.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star

Last edited by heatmizr; 08-21-2018 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 05:12 PM   #31
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr
For future iPhone cradle removers, PLEASE do not attempt what is described in the first page of this thread - the post from AwB a couple posts up here nails it. Here is another guy who posted the same on Xoutpost which is what I followed.

The hardest part is figuring out how to release the insane cable connectors that BMW uses where you disconnect the cradle wiring from the harness sticking out of the tranny tunnel.
Hints - there are three connectors total for the 4 wires; lift blue portions on two of them then pull them apart; & the larger one has a lever that you can swing to release it after you push(pull?) a tiny little catch next to it.
I plan on getting the new adapter that works with every phone. Their new universal adapter is nice as it keeps the phone from flying all over the place.

Plus it won't get outdated. .
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 12:05 PM   #32
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Got a link to the new adapter? Does it fit in place of the old one? If yes you would still need to do the above to swap it. And you would gain no cubby space. And you will forget your phone under the closed armrest!

And how is it universal, does it have a connector end for every phone ever made?
e90 328i - sold
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 07:59 PM   #33
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got a link to the new adapter? Does it fit in place of the old one? If yes you would still need to do the above to swap it. And you would gain no cubby space. And you will forget your phone under the closed armrest!

And how is it universal, does it have a connector end for every phone ever made?

Sorry the one for Apple isn't working so I just posted the android, if you need Apple it's their anyhow.

I don't like clutter in my vehicle and everything needs a home so having the phone rustle around even in a stowed pocket I don't like. Here at least it's fixed and not moving around. Plus the audio is better with a fixed connection vs Bluetooth.

It's not for everybody but I like to have a place for it.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/51...NDROID-DEVICES
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #34
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for link. Ok, so the android one presumably has the micro-USB charger connector (pic doesn't show it) and the apple one has the, uh, whatever the apple connection is called... red delicious?

Well, I see why you might like it. (There is No Place for a phone or sunglasses in here!)
For tunes I just put all my music on a big old iPod, connected via USB inside the cubby and it lives in there, out of sight & being charged all the time. Controlled via iDrive.
My phone typically stays in my pocket.
e90 328i - sold
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #35
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for link. Ok, so the android one presumably has the micro-USB charger connector (pic doesn't show it) and the apple one has the, uh, whatever the apple connection is called... red delicious?

Well, I see why you might like it. (There is No Place for a phone or sunglasses in here!)
For tunes I just put all my music on a big old iPod, connected via USB inside the cubby and it lives in there, out of sight & being charged all the time. Controlled via iDrive.
My phone typically stays in my pocket.
Yea mine being a 6+ I don't like driving with the brick in my pocket, it's rather large so in the holder it goes.

Plus I drive to Michigan and Chicago a couple times a month so for those long trips it serves it's purpose. .
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 06:27 AM   #36
iamcpap
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5M

Wonder how I missed this thread. Destroyed cradle and cut wires last night after dicking around for 2 hours. Speakers don't work and I get an SOS not operational warning.

So mad at myself...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 05:02 PM   #37
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
For future iPhone cradle removers, PLEASE do not attempt what is described in the first page of this thread, or cut wires as above - the post from AwB a couple posts up here nails it. Here is another guy who posted the same on Xoutpost which is what I followed.

Remove a couple screws on cradle, one torx for the carpet, disconnect wiring, pull cradle wires up through cubby, shove remaining wires back in and replace carpet. Fill resulting hole in cubby with blank plate $10 (optional).

Hints - there are three connectors total for the 4 wires; lift blue portions on two of them then pull them apart; & the larger one has a lever that you can swing to release it after you push(pull?) a tiny little catch next to it.
Thanks for the tips, especially on removing the connectors. Mine were blue, black and the big one. Fiddled around a bit, but figured it out eventually - the trick is to find the tension clip and depress it, and the connector slides right off. Took me about 30 mins total.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 12:04 AM   #38
Jkloc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 x5 35d deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcpap View Post
Wonder how I missed this thread. Destroyed cradle and cut wires last night after dicking around for 2 hours. Speakers don't work and I get an SOS not operational warning.

So mad at myself...
Sorry to Bump an old thread. I too just committed the mortal sin and cut my wires today 😭 boy do I wish I didn’t. I now have no BT/Aux/USB/SOS light. Anyone have some insight as what to do? I figured out removing the wires all together, is buying that wire loom a possibility? Any other ideas? Gonna try reconnecting all of the wires but idk how that will work.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 10:44 AM   #39
gixxerboy63
Tanzanite Blue II X5M Pilot
Rep
Drives: M3, M4, X3 M40i, X5M

Garage List
2017 m4  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
I retrofitted the wireless charger in my phone cradle.
Works great!
Love it!

2020 X5M - Tanzanite II
2012 M3 - Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 12:55 PM   #40
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkloc View Post
Sorry to Bump an old thread. I too just committed the mortal sin and cut my wires today 😭 boy do I wish I didn’t. I now have no BT/Aux/USB/SOS light. Anyone have some insight as what to do? I figured out removing the wires all together, is buying that wire loom a possibility? Any other ideas? Gonna try reconnecting all of the wires but idk how that will work.
Check your PM...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 05:08 PM   #41
M3-TravelGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerboy63 View Post
I retrofitted the wireless charger in my phone cradle.
Works great!
Love it!
Which wireless charger did you use? Any pictures? I want to add wireless charging but can't find a good place to do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 11:26 PM   #42
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Absolute nightmare to do. Don't even bother. Have to completely dissemble the center console to disconnect it.
i've done it. takes 15 min.. you do need to buy this little cover part though
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #43
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2013 X5 35i

Just picked up a 2013 X5 for my wife and the cradle takes up half of the center console area - not very useful so removed it yesterday.

Created a DIY PDF as I went along - attached.

New look:
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Removed my phone cradle from a 2013 X5 35i.pdf (505.3 KB, 525 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #44
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

I just added the wireless charger into mine, works great with my iPhone X... If you do the retrofit, it may be worth it to keep for some folks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1