XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #1
drummr8
6MT FTMFW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335xi E91 6MT 12 X5 35i

Garage List
Tow Hitch Wiring and Bike Rack Suggestions

I just recently picked up a Curt tow hitch/bar for my Msport E70. Main use is just going to be for bike transport - any suggestions for a bike rack that works well with our vehicles?

Also, I wasn't going to bother with the wiring harness. Is this easy to add later, or will I have to pull the bumper and go through a bunch of extra work? Does it make more sense to just add now, even if I'm not sure I'd ever tow a trailer?

Thanks
      09-16-2020, 06:26 PM   #2
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummr8 View Post
I just recently picked up a Curt tow hitch/bar for my Msport E70. Main use is just going to be for bike transport - any suggestions for a bike rack that works well with our vehicles?

Also, I wasn't going to bother with the wiring harness. Is this easy to add later, or will I have to pull the bumper and go through a bunch of extra work? Does it make more sense to just add now, even if I'm not sure I'd ever tow a trailer?

Thanks
Why not add it while you have the bumper off? Get it done so you have it if you need it later. Instead of waiting for the wiring to tow with it. Bmw factory harness looks to be the best decision to make it as seamless as possible, but there may be a better option I don't know about
      09-16-2020, 09:50 PM   #3
drummr8
6MT FTMFW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335xi E91 6MT 12 X5 35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
Why not add it while you have the bumper off? Get it done so you have it if you need it later. Instead of waiting for the wiring to tow with it. Bmw factory harness looks to be the best decision to make it as seamless as possible, but there may be a better option I don't know about
Just because I don't currently have any plans of towing anything... But I guess that may change in the future so I guess it makes sense to just add the harness now.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 10:24 AM   #4
dudezi
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

you can add only a 4-wire connector to have the tail light, brake light and turn signals, no e-brake, which is good enough for towing light load, and it doesn't require removing bumper to install. detailed instruction on youtube.
Appreciate 0