XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
X5Beemaah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i Alpine White

Comfort Seat Retrofit?

Does anyone know if "multi-contour" seats can be installed in an X5 50i slready equipped with the "sport seats". Completely regret not going with the upgraded seats....ggggrrrr. question the wiring harness, bracketry, and the electrical CAN/BUS computer throwing error codes....
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
gerritg
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5 Diesel

I have the same question.

I have bought the BMW X6 with sport seats. I have installed the comfort seats.
However I cannot control them. The electricity does not work.

I could only move the seats via OBD Port access using the BMW software INPvA.

The guy who did it told me that I will need to rewire the can bus. As the sport seat also had no memory seats and no seat heating lots of pins and cable are missing.

I really thought thiw would have been an easy retrofit.

However it is not.

SOLD 2012>>>BMW 335i Prior Design*AP Racing suspension*K-Sport brake system 8-piston*Individual paint Lambo Balloon white*Alcantara Roof Liner*CIC Retrofittment*M3 Seats paladium silver*M6 Rims 20inch 245.3535-R275.35*BMW Performance Exhaust* LUX V3.AE
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
gerritg
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5 Diesel

some pics
Attached Images

SOLD 2012>>>BMW 335i Prior Design*AP Racing suspension*K-Sport brake system 8-piston*Individual paint Lambo Balloon white*Alcantara Roof Liner*CIC Retrofittment*M3 Seats paladium silver*M6 Rims 20inch 245.3535-R275.35*BMW Performance Exhaust* LUX V3.AE
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
samches
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 3.0d 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerritg View Post
I have the same question.

I have bought the BMW X6 with sport seats. I have installed the comfort seats.
However I cannot control them. The electricity does not work.

I could only move the seats via OBD Port access using the BMW software INPvA.

The guy who did it told me that I will need to rewire the can bus. As the sport seat also had no memory seats and no seat heating lots of pins and cable are missing.

I really thought thiw would have been an easy retrofit.

However it is not.
Did you managed to connect them properly? atm i have sport seats with heating and memory and i wish to install comfort seats (no ventilation or "thai ladyboy tronic" functions). I REALLY hate my sport seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
ahnikolai
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 3.0 d M-sport

Hi, did anyone of you get more info about the conversion of seat?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Did you code the car so that the modules know there are comfort seats? At the top of my head, the CIC, as well as the climate control module have to be coded, and probably CAS
      11-15-2016, 01:00 PM   #7
edisonwil
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 3.0

E70 Comfort (Multi-contour) Seat retrofit success/done

First post, folks, I have just completed the comfort seat retrofit into my '07 E70 as well as a CIC Retrofit from a CHAMP at the same time. For the seat retrofit, I replaced base seats with memory (driver's) and heat with comfort seats with memory and heat from an LCI E70. This means that my driver's seat had a seat module and my passenger's seat did not.

Since I did not have up to date access to wiring diagrams, I spent the $40 to access the BMW site for 24 hours and I obtained the clarity I needed to wire properly. In a nutshell outside of the wrenching...

The electrical work involved is needed to get power to the seat control panel for both the driver and passenger as well as K-CAN bus signals to the passenger seat. This may be different if you have a seat module on your existing passenger seat as it may have the K-CAN wired already.

The way I did it was as follows. Within the seat itself, between the main harness connection (X275 drivers/X279 passenger) and the seat module, I tapped the main power pos + and neg - to feed the power leads that go to the seat control panel (I think pins 6 and 7 on X275/X279). This was done by cutting the seat control panel power lead wires at the X275/X279 connection and soldering them to the main power leads. They had no corresponding connection in the seat wiring harness coming from the floor of my vehicle. On E70s that come with the comfort seats, I think Fuse 150 is used to power the control panels. This fuse was not present/wired in my vehicle. To keep everything to code, you should put a 7.5amp in-line fuse on the positive lead going to the control panels or after you tap. The main power to the seats are on a 30 AMP fuse.

For the K-CAN on the passengers seat, I tapped into the K-CAN on my I-Drive controller while I was replacing it for the CIC Retrofit. I ran twisted pair that had female pins on them (from an old E36 harness I have) down through the center console, under the carpet and up through the protective sheath on the passenger seat wiring harness and finally into the connector that plugs into X279.

I then added the Comfort seat and Lumbar options to my VO, removed the regular Electric seats from the VO (left the heated seat option alone) and saved it to CAS/FRM then coded a bunch of modules (some probably not needed as this was my first adventure in coding) IHKA and CIC for sure were needed I think. I have the heated seat distribution on my CIC and everything works perfectly.

Keep in mind, if you get seats from a wrecker like I did, you may be required to use your old seat belt latches as both pre-tensioners had deployed on the set I got.

There is an additional connector on the comfort seats that I traced up to the headrests. I left it disconnected mainly because I had no wire coming from the car to connect to it. It is for the active headrest I believe. I never had it before and it is not hooked up now. No codes are thrown as a result.

I have only had the E70 for a couple months and this was my first attempt at coding/retrofitting. I had to do this and the CIC as base seats in my BMW/Minis are not an option for me with the amount of time I spend on the road.

Cost $700USD with Free US shipping for the Cinnamon Brown front seats, rear heated seats, entire center console with arm rests, I-drive controller and shifter/parking brake switch with A-Hold.

Proof it can be done for a lot cheaper than I have seen others post for.
Hope this helps someone who is thinking about this retrofit.

BTW, the CIC retrofit with Script activation is working flawlessly, I am just wiring up my Combox harness and should be good for a while.

Last edited by edisonwil; 11-15-2016 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: slight edit
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

$700 is quite honestly a bargain for all that...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 09:59 PM   #9
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

I paid 1000$ Candian to have the comfort seats when I ordered my 2013 x5m on top of everything
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #10
11E70
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisonwil View Post
First post, folks, I have just completed the comfort seat retrofit into my '07 E70 as well as a CIC Retrofit from a CHAMP at the same time. For the seat retrofit, I replaced base seats with memory (driver's) and heat with comfort seats with memory and heat from an LCI E70. This means that my driver's seat had a seat module and my passenger's seat did not.

Since I did not have up to date access to wiring diagrams, I spent the $40 to access the BMW site for 24 hours and I obtained the clarity I needed to wire properly. In a nutshell outside of the wrenching...

The electrical work involved is needed to get power to the seat control panel for both the driver and passenger as well as K-CAN bus signals to the passenger seat. This may be different if you have a seat module on your existing passenger seat as it may have the K-CAN wired already.

The way I did it was as follows. Within the seat itself, between the main harness connection (X275 drivers/X279 passenger) and the seat module, I tapped the main power pos + and neg - to feed the power leads that go to the seat control panel (I think pins 6 and 7 on X275/X279). This was done by cutting the seat control panel power lead wires at the X275/X279 connection and soldering them to the main power leads. They had no corresponding connection in the seat wiring harness coming from the floor of my vehicle. On E70s that come with the comfort seats, I think Fuse 150 is used to power the control panels. This fuse was not present/wired in my vehicle. To keep everything to code, you should put a 7.5amp in-line fuse on the positive lead going to the control panels or after you tap. The main power to the seats are on a 30 AMP fuse.

For the K-CAN on the passengers seat, I tapped into the K-CAN on my I-Drive controller while I was replacing it for the CIC Retrofit. I ran twisted pair that had female pins on them (from an old E36 harness I have) down through the center console, under the carpet and up through the protective sheath on the passenger seat wiring harness and finally into the connector that plugs into X279.

I then added the Comfort seat and Lumbar options to my VO, removed the regular Electric seats from the VO (left the heated seat option alone) and saved it to CAS/FRM then coded a bunch of modules (some probably not needed as this was my first adventure in coding) IHKA and CIC for sure were needed I think. I have the heated seat distribution on my CIC and everything works perfectly.

Keep in mind, if you get seats from a wrecker like I did, you may be required to use your old seat belt latches as both pre-tensioners had deployed on the set I got.

There is an additional connector on the comfort seats that I traced up to the headrests. I left it disconnected mainly because I had no wire coming from the car to connect to it. It is for the active headrest I believe. I never had it before and it is not hooked up now. No codes are thrown as a result.

I have only had the E70 for a couple months and this was my first attempt at coding/retrofitting. I had to do this and the CIC as base seats in my BMW/Minis are not an option for me with the amount of time I spend on the road.

Cost $700USD with Free US shipping for the Cinnamon Brown front seats, rear heated seats, entire center console with arm rests, I-drive controller and shifter/parking brake switch with A-Hold.

BTW, the CIC retrofit with Script activation is working flawlessly, I am just wiring up my Combox harness and should be good for a while.
I am trying to retrofit the multi-contour seats in my 2011 X5 3.5i currently.

I have installed the seats and there is no power at all.

I tried connecting the power cables to the seat from the floor harness however there is still no power.

Do you have pictures or the writing diagram? I need help getting this to work.

My seats had no lumbar and were heated base seats.
The multi contour seats I purchased for 400 from a 2010 x5
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 08:47 PM   #11
edisonwil
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 3.0

I managed to find these diagrams from an unnamed source...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf x279 connector.pdf (102.9 KB, 1572 views)
File Type: pdf x279 Wiring.pdf (557.8 KB, 1694 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 02:06 PM   #12
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisonwil View Post

did you use NCSexpert to code it?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:19 AM   #13
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

Difference between sport and comfort? Any pictures of your install?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 07:08 AM   #14
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadysev View Post
did you use NCSexpert to code it?
I recently went from base with lumbar(both sides) and heat to Comfort with heat, no vent and no active. The install was simple- plug and play.

The essential thing to note is that your base/ sport seat's passenger seat has lumber too. So long as the passenger side has lumbar, I'm under the impression it should be plug and play. I didn't change my VO or CAS at all. This SHOULD, as far as I know, be the same for the sport seats. If you passenger side doesn't have lumbar, you have to run a wire to give power to the passenger side module. Lumbar buttons=has module, so it's already correctly powered.