XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #1
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: X5m E70|PP Performance Tune|DP

D1s Bulbs brightness x5 e70 4.8i

This topic has probably been spoken of several times and I'm not about to start again.

My real question is, has anyone tried the Led d1s conversion?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LASFIT-D1S-...8645452?_ul=SA

I have the cbi bulbs and.. They're alright... But I saw an lx570 pass by and the lights washed down the side of the road end to end... So shiny... So chrome

If anyone has any suggestions or a fix, please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherArchitect View Post
This topic has probably been spoken of several times and I'm not about to start again.

I have the cbi bulbs and.. They're alright... But I saw an lx570 pass by and the lights washed down the side of the road end to end... So shiny... So chrome

The team at Lightwerkz has tons of vid's and info on all things LED's when it comes to headlights. Here's one video of a true LED projector conversion.

Most people praise the CBI's and from my own experience would think that would suffice in a stock projector. But that's the thing, I think your stock projectors are whats holding you back. I did a projector retro in my E39 and with some 5500k Phillips it was MORE than enough and looked friggin' sweet.

If you want to save some coin, SL1 LED's are supposed to be one of the best out there, but again you'll still be in a stock projector setup.
      06-21-2019, 02:21 AM   #3
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
The team at Lightwerkz has tons of vid's and info on all things LED's when it comes to headlights. Here's one video of a true LED projector conversion.

Most people praise the CBI's and from my own experience would think that would suffice in a stock projector. But that's the thing, I think your stock projectors are whats holding you back. I did a projector retro in my E39 and with some 5500k Phillips it was MORE than enough and looked friggin' sweet.

If you want to save some coin, SL1 LED's are supposed to be one of the best out there, but again you'll still be in a stock projector setup.

Sweet lord that's some clean projection! The most effort I put into the lights was adding the angel led's... Was easier than I thought.

Not too sure of how the projectors thing will go.

I'll contact lightwerkz, see what they have to say.

THANK YOU!
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      06-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #4
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

I agree, it may be a projector issue, as I have the CBI bulbs in my lights, and they are excellent, aside from the cool factor that the 2013 LED optional lights have.

One thing that I have heard from many people here in Colorado with LED lights, since there is no heat coming from the light the way that halogen or HID bulbs provide, snow does not melt from the lights, and they end up being useless at night in snow and ice.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 11:33 AM   #5
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep
Drives: E61

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherArchitect View Post

Don't waste money on garbage LED bulbs, stick to OEM bulbs like Osram and Philips.
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Lines +Ethanol Sensor
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlet, AR DPs, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP +Tial
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:06 AM   #6
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post
I agree, it may be a projector issue, as I have the CBI bulbs in my lights, and they are excellent, aside from the cool factor that the 2013 LED optional lights have.

One thing that I have heard from many people here in Colorado with LED lights, since there is no heat coming from the light the way that halogen or HID bulbs provide, snow does not melt from the lights, and they end up being useless at night in snow and ice.
Since I live in the desert, that shouldn't be a problem

The main issue is that there aren't many "expert" shops around that I can trust when doing any kind of mods. So i'll have to DIY the hell out of this one (projector that is) !
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr View Post
Don't waste money on garbage LED bulbs, stick to OEM bulbs like Osram and Philips.
I had garbage items in general but was just intrigued as to the possibility of using them.

As the fellows said, it might be a projector issue; my bulbs are CBI so I don't see any other reason for the problem.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 10:47 PM   #8
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I have D1S: OSRAM XENARC 66144 NIGHT BREAKER LASER, and they are just OK, not great by any means. The weak ballast and projector are limiting factors.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 11:32 PM   #9
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlpower View Post
I have D1S: OSRAM XENARC 66144 NIGHT BREAKER LASER, and they are just OK, not great by any means. The weak ballast and projector are limiting factors.
Yeah I hear ya, I'm contacting some of the light DIY people to get a better understanding of how to "go around" those limitations. I'll post updates once I have some definitive answers.
Appreciate 0