XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-18-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
jersey john
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Smile Squeaky rear suspension?

I'm hoping I don't get flamed with this line of questioning; but here it goes:

I have a 2013 X5 xDrive35i and I've been hearing a slight squeaking in the rear area when I'm driving down imperfect roads. It's especially noticeable at lower speeds and it's not as much with potholes but with certain undulations in the road.

For a while (and even now, still) I've thought it was related to my rear hatch. So I've searched and searched and found all the different adjustment points for my upper & lower rear hatch; but to no avail.

I've started considering if perhaps it was related to any suspension components; perhaps bushings or something of the sort. I'm wondering if anyone else here has experienced something similar to this and would appreciate some feedback.

And, as I say to my kids: if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

Thanks in advance

I feel like every day is the Kobayashi Maru and my name's not James T. Kirk
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 09:27 PM   #2
oil_burner
California Diesel Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' x5 35d

I have a squeak/clunk of sorts when on imperfect roads also. Putting some blue threadlocker onto the bolts holding the hatch latch onto the bottom half reduced some of it, although that maybe due to them being loose in the first place.
      12-19-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey john View Post
I'm hoping I don't get flamed with this line of questioning; but here it goes:

I have a 2013 X5 xDrive35i and I've been hearing a slight squeaking in the rear area when I'm driving down imperfect roads. It's especially noticeable at lower speeds and it's not as much with potholes but with certain undulations in the road.

For a while (and even now, still) I've thought it was related to my rear hatch. So I've searched and searched and found all the different adjustment points for my upper & lower rear hatch; but to no avail.

I've started considering if perhaps it was related to any suspension components; perhaps bushings or something of the sort. I'm wondering if anyone else here has experienced something similar to this and would appreciate some feedback.

And, as I say to my kids: if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

Thanks in advance
I have an 08 X5 3.0si, which developed a nasty squeak/creak, primarily on speed bumps or turning into or out of a parking lot (with a slight elevation change from the primary road). I too thought it was the rear hatch, and made some adjustments to the height of the rubber stoppers (just above tail lights when hatch is open). This didn't really make much improvement. What finally did the trick was wrapping a few layers of electrical tape around the D-rings that the rear seat backs lock into when upright (I don't have 3rd row seat). It isn't the ideal solution, as the tape doesn't hold up well after a few times of dropping the seat backs down, but I'm fine with reapplying it every once in a while. I'm just happy that did the trick for me.

- Cactus_BMW

Last edited by Cactus_BMW; 12-20-2018 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #4
jersey john
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Thanks all. I'll let you know what happens.

I feel like every day is the Kobayashi Maru and my name's not James T. Kirk
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Most likely ball joints.

Had same problem on my E53.

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus_BMW View Post
I have an 08 X5 3.0si, which developed a nasty squeak/creak, primarily on speed bumps or turning into or out of a parking lot (with a slight elevation change from the primary road). I too thought it was the rear hatch, and made some adjustments to the height of the rubber stoppers (just above tail lights when hatch is open). This didn't really make much improvement. What finally did the trick was wrapping a few layers of electrical tape around the D-rings that the rear seat backs lock into when upright (I don't have 3rd row seat). It isn't the ideal solution, as the tape doesn't hold up well after a few times of dropping the seat backs down, but I'm fine with reapplying it every once in a while. I'm just happy that did the trick for me.

- Cactus_BMW
I’d try some spray on lithium grease - spray on a paper towel and wipe around the D rings. If it doesn’t help you can wipe it off and try something else. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 12:48 PM   #7
nlastovi
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5 50i

won't hurt to try some grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
Most likely ball joints. Had same problem on my E53.
Me too. I got by, until I had time to disassemble and replace everything, by using a needle on my grease gun and filling all of the rubber dust boots in the rear suspension. Fortunately this worked well enough for me that I sold the X5 before I needed to replace the rear suspension pivots entirely.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #8
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Double check the sway bar to ensure the fasteners aren't loose. That was my problem, in addition to rear tailgate.