R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

09-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
ppendyck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550

Opinion of Ceramic Pro and Xpel

I am getting a new M3 in October vis European Delivery and will drive about 1200 miles. When the car arrives in the UK I am thinking of get Xpel and Ceramic Pro applied.
I have seen a number of posts about other products but not Ceramic Pro. I also understand that there is a relationship between the two products.
Can anyone give me advice regarding this please.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #2
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Ceramic Pro - is a ceramic coating that goes on your paintwork. It makes the car significantly stay cleaner between washes, more hydrophobic and prevents most light scratches.

XPEL is a clear film treatment that protects the paintwork against rock chips and small impacts.

They can both be used in tandem but they are not the same product. XPEL is a thick film coating. Ceramic Pro applies like a wax.
      09-01-2016, 09:55 AM   #3
ppendyck
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungE30 View Post
Ceramic Pro - is a ceramic coating that goes on your paintwork. It makes the car significantly stay cleaner between washes, more hydrophobic and prevents most light scratches.

XPEL is a clear film treatment that protects the paintwork against rock chips and small impacts.

They can both be used in tandem but they are not the same product. XPEL is a thick film coating. Ceramic Pro applies like a wax.
Thank you. I understand the difference I was wondering what the opinion is on Ceramic Pro versus the other products and the same for Xpel.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #4
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppendyck View Post
Thank you. I understand the difference I was wondering what the opinion is on Ceramic Pro versus the other products and the same for Xpel.
may be you want to Re-write your post and thread title as its not clear... to what exactly you were asking on the first place..

Now not to sound rude Bud but do some research, there are these great website Call GOOGLE and YOUTUBE you will find some cool stuff there There is a TON of information and videos/reviews of Ceramic Pro, Cquartz and so on... Same thing with Xpel..

Btw IMO doing Ceramic Pro and applying Xpel to the same Body panel/part is a waste of money
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #5
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
I've had both Ceramic Pro and C-Quartz and can speak to those - the other product to consider is Opticoat.

Ceramic Pro revealed a bit more gloss than the C-Quartz. Both are very good products. I did notice the Ceramic Pro luster and "just-polished" texture seemed to wear off a little after 1 year (I had 2 coats applied).

I feel weird not maintaining a coating at least once every 1.5 years.
      09-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

I had CP put on about 3 weeks ago. My thoughts, absolutely gives the car a 100% waxed look all the time. Also helps repel dirt, dust etc very well. What really made it worth it for me was the noticeable difference in how much cleaner the side skirts and lower bumper (behind the tire) after driving for a week or so. Normally they would be caked in black with road grim, dirt, dust etc. I gave it its first wash last week post CP and it definitely cuts down on the time I spent.

Its important to note that CP is NOT paint protection film and will not prevent chips or scratches.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the investment, I like to keep my car clean and would probably spend money on a full detail 1 or 2 times a year so that price and added benefits are well worth it to me.

These are crummy iphone pics, I need to get a better camera.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
ppendyck
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2 View Post
may be you want to Re-write your post and thread title as its not clear... to what exactly you were asking on the first place..

Now not to sound rude Bud but do some research, there are these great website Call GOOGLE and YOUTUBE you will find some cool stuff there There is a TON of information and videos/reviews of Ceramic Pro, Cquartz and so on... Same thing with Xpel..

Btw IMO doing Ceramic Pro and applying Xpel to the same Body panel/part is a waste of money
Thanks. As well as learning about Google and Youtube I also learned that you think applying both is a waste of money. That's good info.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #8
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

Usually, paint protection film like xpel is used for high impact areas (bumper, hood, fenders and back of the mirrors) while glass coating is used everywhere else.

I have carpro cquartz kit that I bought for around $100 from autogeek and applied it myself. Should last 1.5-2 years. Also, I use Carpro reload every month or so to make it even more hydrophobic.

The main reason I applied cquartz was for ease of future maintenance, as you won't have to wax the car anymore, and don't have to wash it as often.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 10:52 PM   #9
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Many, many people on the forums here do both Film protection usually Xpel Ultimate or SunTek PPF-C and then go over that with something else like Modesta/CQuartz etc.

That way you get both benefits. If you car is a lease then I don't think doing film is worth it, coating is probably your best bet. If your car is purchased and you are keeping the car, doing both film and coating will help the car in the long run.

Especially if you are hyper OCD, doing both will give you that peace of mind. Yes it is both very expensive, however I have personally experienced not doing one or the other can come back and bite you hard in the ass if something happens that is unexpected. Just because it doesn't happen to another forum member doesn't mean it won't happen to you.

So if you car is leased, doing both film and coating is NOT worth doing. Coating the car will be enough if you aren't planning to keep it.
      09-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #10
Nanoman INFO
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Ceramic pro is the best way to protect your car, along with xpel. They are not the same company but because the two company's are the most superior products on the market the are usually used together. just make sure you install CP 9h under the xpel, then have the installer put CP light over the Xpel. If you put light on the vehicle first Xpel wont stick then you will have a problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #11
frKENm3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a manual ///M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
how is opticoat compared to Ceramic Pro? i was leaning towards Opticoat..but after stumbling onto this page in research before pulling the trigger... may now consider CP. both sounds like they do the same thing?

Instagram = @m.4play
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 08:03 AM   #12
Bimmer100_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 6SPD

Garage List
Is it normal for ceramic pro or any coating "not" prevent rail dust, water marks and acid rain? I was under the impression that a coating would prevent any contamination from sticking.
      09-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #13
Nanoman INFO
Rep

Cp vs opticoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by frKENm3 View Post
how is opticoat compared to Ceramic Pro? i was leaning towards Opticoat..but after stumbling onto this page in research before pulling the trigger... may now consider CP. both sounds like they do the same thing?
So i used to install opticoat now i am an installer for CP. I was a huge fan of opticoat then i found Cp. im never going to look back.
I also am not here to bash opticoat, but i have done some side by side testing on my own. i put both products in a clear plastic container, and then poured equal amounts of both products in. after 24 hours CP cured perfectly clear, were opticoat did not it had a yellow hazy tint to it. also i have set fire to CP it holds up there is no question. Other brands cant do that. Plus the feel and warranty cant be beat by Cp... plane and simple it is by far a more superior product. I had to be special trained to install show liability insurance and business licence to even get started. Cp takes their product very serious where opticoat i just called, and they will just start you out to learn on your own. Cp is a lot harder to install as well I think that is what makes it so much better. If it was easy anyone could do it. hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 06:59 PM   #14
Nanoman INFO
Rep

coating and the prevention

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsteg View Post
Is it normal for ceramic pro or any coating "not" prevent rail dust, water marks and acid rain? I was under the impression that a coating would prevent any contamination from sticking.
I know that Ceramic Pro for sure will prevent acid rain rail dust brake dust it is chemical resistant, oxidation resistant, temperature resistant,graffiti,and UV resistant. To answer your question some things will stick to it somewhat, and what i mean by that for example bugs on your bumper, and hood will be stuck on the panel, but will come of with ease just by using a damp microfiber towel. Brake dust still sticks to wheels kind of, but once again come right of no chemicals or scrubbing or anything like that.
I see put this product to the test daily on my own vehicles i left my truck out for the sprinklers to pound on for the night, and it did water spot... However they were small white circles come morning after what water was left on the panel mostly the hood and top of fender. " Flat area water could not fall off" I just gently buffed off with a damp microfiber towel, and they just came off with ease. Cp is very amazing to me im glad i now install this product rather than any other i have used in the past. do some homework and if need be i can make a video on the abuse it can take for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #15
Bimmer100_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I had 2 coats of ceramic pro done by a reputable place. And I didn't wash my car for 5 weeks and I have acids rain, water marks, and rail dust that won't come off with a detail spray. Any ideas? Is 2 coats not enough?
      09-14-2016, 06:31 PM   #16
Nanoman INFO
Rep

Quote:
I had 2 coats of ceramic pro done by a reputable place. And I didn't wash my car for 5 weeks and I have acids rain, water marks, and rail dust that won't come off with a detail spray. Any ideas? Is 2 coats not enough?
That seems very unusual, not to put anybody down but sometimes even a reputable shop can make mistakes installing this product. I have installed it for two years, and never had a problem. This product is very difficult to install if you do not take things into consideration like temperature humidity and proper curing time between coats you could have problems like your having. Usually the problem is in the Light coat, or top coat on top of 9H. If they install that Light coat to early the solvents will dissolve into the 9H, and then you have a problem. That shop should be able to fix it... If they use a black polishing pad and very light polish they can get them out then install Light coat back on that panel. They will have to do the entire panel or it wont match. I would take it back and have them do it for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 07:38 PM   #17
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

IMO there is Xpel which actually protects paint from chips etc and then a slew of other products that play the other part of maintaining shine, weather protection, easier to clean etc. The later category has a lot of products priced way to high that do most if not all the things that cost only a fraction. Cut through the marketing there is only so much a paste you rub on your car can do vs going with a protective wrap.

If you are looking for the later and want to test the waters I would highly recommend something like Jet Seal from Chemical Guys. Its relatively inexpensive, only needed once a year, maintains a good shine and protects against weather.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 08:03 PM   #18
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
A coating won't always prevent all of that. You would need to also maintain the coating too. Your installer who did your coating should have told you that.

Regardless of what you use, OptiCoat, CQ, Ceramic Pro, Modesta etc you will need to maintain it regardless.

My thought was the same as yours before, that i wouldn't have to do anything after but that is wrong. Some stuff is just too strong and will get through the coating, if you maintain it (letting your installer do that) they can remove these.
      09-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #19
ppendyck
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanoman INFO View Post
So i used to install opticoat now i am an installer for CP. I was a huge fan of opticoat then i found Cp. im never going to look back.
I also am not here to bash opticoat, but i have done some side by side testing on my own. i put both products in a clear plastic container, and then poured equal amounts of both products in. after 24 hours CP cured perfectly clear, were opticoat did not it had a yellow hazy tint to it. also i have set fire to CP it holds up there is no question. Other brands cant do that. Plus the feel and warranty cant be beat by Cp... plane and simple it is by far a more superior product. I had to be special trained to install show liability insurance and business licence to even get started. Cp takes their product very serious where opticoat i just called, and they will just start you out to learn on your own. Cp is a lot harder to install as well I think that is what makes it so much better. If it was easy anyone could do it. hope this helps.
Nanoman
Thanks for the info.
After application what is the best way to clean the car. Should you use soap or just rinse it off. What is your view on touchless car washes? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 09:49 PM   #20
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

Quote:
Detail spray is not a substitute for a real hand wash. If that doesn't work, then you should have the car detailed by a pro.

Coating or no coating, you still have to maintain the paint. Even the best coating in the world won't protect your paint if you don't regularly wash your car. Paint protection film is better for ease of maintenance, but even that needs regular wax/washes, just like naked paint.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 01:08 PM   #21
Nanoman INFO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppendyck View Post
Nanoman
Thanks for the info.
After application what is the best way to clean the car. Should you use soap or just rinse it off. What is your view on touchless car washes? Thanks
You can use soap, no problem I usually do not, because once coated water less
car wash will take care of it in about 10 min time... In our shop when we wash coated vehicles I just pressure wash off then dry them. Like someone said above you should Maintain your coating once a year. We do it here by hand washing the vehicle, and then applying our CP sport for the maintenance also CP gives you a maintenance card for the warranty we fill out and sign off on. We charge 39.99 for the service.
So to answer your question on touchless car washes they are very hard on your paint. They have to use very acidic chemicals to clean then a base or alkaline to neutral our the ph so you paint isnt damaged. They take off regular waxes very quick. Ceramic Pro is ok because it is chemical resistant!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #22
Bimmer100_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
How would I go about removing acid rain from my entire roof and glass? The glass has very little but the roof and rear window have acid rain that can only be seen after washing the car and then drying it ( during that wet phase). Once completely dry the acid rain isn't noticeable. Is there any safe way to do this without harming the ceramic pro? I know polishing would do it but then I'd have to get those areas recoated.

Also I think it's nearly impossible for me to prevent rail dust unless I wash daily since I park in industrial area for 12hrs a day.