XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-11-2020, 03:20 PM   #1
E30ROB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M Sport AW3

Garage List
E70 DCT shift knob conversion (need coding advice)

Hello, I am in the works of swapping out my standard ZF8HP shift lever for the F chassis DCT shift lever.

The knob fits without issue, however you do not use the side button before changing between R, N, and D. Additionally, the use of the "P" button is no longer available.

This is resulting in a gong chime when coming to a stop (traffic lights, etc..)

Is there a way to code out shifter related gong?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 07:29 AM   #2
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Ignore other post, this is a bit clearer.
So even if you clear the chime, how are you going to put it in park without turning off the engine?
This isn't sounding like a good idea to me. You are sure others had total success?
Just the other day I accidentally banged the lever while driving, and thought, "Good thing that side button is needed to change the tranny, or I'd have banged it into Reverse while moving forward." Not sure it would allow that kind of thing to happen but...
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 09:38 AM   #3
E30ROB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
Ignore other post, this is a bit clearer.
So even if you clear the chime, how are you going to put it in park without turning off the engine?
This isn't sounding like a good idea to me. You are sure others had total success?
Just the other day I accidentally banged the lever while driving, and thought, "Good thing that side button is needed to change the tranny, or I'd have banged it into Reverse while moving forward." Not sure it would allow that kind of thing to happen but...
Well, it will be the same way you put the vehicle in park as most DCT cars (e9x m3, e60 m5, etc)

Typically I do not sit and idle in park unless its a cold morning. But you if needed, simply put the car in neutral and activate the parking brake. Luckily ours are electronic so its extremely easy.

Also, these cars wont let you change gears while moving. You can only switch between D, N, and sport mode while moving. And I have also accidentally hit the lever from Sport to D, but because the lever is 3 feet tall LOL.

Ill report back when I get the new knob installed. Still figuring out the coding for the chime. I have it turned off for everything else except this.

And I believe I will be the first to do this on the E70 chassis, but a friend on Facebook just did this conversion on his 135i.

The biggest hurdle will be getting it to illuminate if the ribbon wire isnt the same, Ill post all my progress here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30ROB View Post
Well, it will be the same way you put the vehicle in park as most DCT cars (e9x m3, e60 m5, etc)
Which is how? Is this knob making it into a manual transmission?
I think you may find a lot more instances of needing to put in park than you realize.

Well, GL and let us know!
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 10:47 AM   #5
E30ROB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
Which is how? Is this knob making it into a manual transmission?
I think you may find a lot more instances of needing to put in park than you realize.

Well, GL and let us know!
All this conversion does is change the original tall knob for the DCT knob. Ive been driving the car for a year and I rarely used the P button. If I stop to get out, I turn it off, which puts it in park automatically.

Some people probably would hate it, not for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
Leon S. Kennedy
Georgia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Is here any news in this topic? I hope this swap will be soon
Appreciate 0