XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-27-2023, 11:52 AM   #1
///Marty
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 ///M

BMW E71 X6 ///M - Advice needed

Hello everyone!
I've been a long time lurker on here and a life long BMW fan.
Long story short...
I always wanted a real ///M car. I currently own E21,E46,E39,E85.
Anyway I am not new to the BMW experience.
And 6 months ago the opportunity arrived and I bought a BMW E71 X6 ///M 2010.
The car was running great and it has original 60k miles on it, its a US import.
And all was great until one morning when I started the car the was Check Engine Light. I have a code scanner and it showed Misfire on cylinder 6.
And my journey has started...
Here is the list of what I changed currently:
- Oil (5w30) including filters.
- Coolant
- Front and rear brake pads.
- Belts
- New tires
- Breather Hose here is the OEM number: (11157595188)
- Spark plugs and Coils all of them are NGK
- OEM BMW Injectors Index 12

And the car is throwing codes yet again..
Including misfire on Cylinder 7 this time.
Here is the list of the codes scanned:
DC4A - Dynamic pressure flap motor
A72E - Water valve, passenger's side (IHKA high only)
A6D2 - Water valve, driver's side
2D2F - Throttle-valve angle, plausibility with intake-manifold vacuum 2
E5C4 K-CAN line fault
9C4A - Dynamic pressure flap motor
A0B4 - Engine start, starter operation
2B1c Combustion misfires, cylinder 7

After the cold start the car usually run very well for a couple of minutes, and then suddenly starts shaking and then throws the codes and the check engine light appears.

Also today I noticed that a little bit of oil appears here:
Name:  343413812_1530729194399580_4315025256297467901_n.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  292.5 KB

Could you please give me advice of what needs to be done or changed?
Because honestly when it runs the car drives absolutely perfect and its amazing!
But the codes are driving me insane
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 12:31 PM   #2
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

that is next to the high pressure fuel pumps, have you replaced them?
those also cause low pressure, and then can cause a misfire even if you put in new injectors. Not an expert on this and also look out for fake ones (pumps too) on ebay, they sell china or refurbs as new (busted a guy selling index 12s as new and were china refurbs.)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 11:26 AM   #3
///Marty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyStyle View Post
that is next to the high pressure fuel pumps, have you replaced them?
those also cause low pressure, and then can cause a misfire even if you put in new injectors. Not an expert on this and also look out for fake ones (pumps too) on ebay, they sell china or refurbs as new (busted a guy selling index 12s as new and were china refurbs.)
Thank you very much for your reply
I haven't replaced the high pressure fuel pumps, will definitely check them!
Do they need to be coded when replaced?
I bought my injectors straight from BMW, and sure hope that they didn't sold me fake ones.
Meanwhile I bought new vent pipes for 1-4 and 5-8 cylinders, because after careful inspection it appears the car has some vacuum leaks.
And will keep the updates coming!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 11:53 AM   #4
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

it doesnt say you need to code them, instructions for both attached.
Appreciate 1
TTV8M122.50
      05-31-2023, 08:16 PM   #5
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

When my vent pipes were cracked it also led to random cylinder misfires. It would also start running fine during cold start, and then when cold start cycle was over and engine management with air readings took over, it would run rough. My long term fuel trims were way off. Even after replacing the pipes it took some driving for the x5 to adjust back to normal. I’d give this a shot before changing more expensive parts.
      06-01-2023, 06:32 AM   #6
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

As others have mentioned could be quite a few things but first one to attack is your vent pipes, most likely where oil is coming from too, leaking out crack in pipe then running down shielding.

The E70 is unique in that the vent pipes attach in multiple places, with connections to the lower intakes, a leak here causes a massive vacuum leak and you will toss all kinds of codes. Its also a REAL PAIN in the ass to change. Recommend you pull you wheel and inner fender well on the drivers side to access it better. Passenger side isn't to bad to do with long reach pliers. Be careful not to damage the lower intakes, they are plastic and if you wreck damage them, only way to replace is by pulling entire engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 07:56 AM   #7
///Marty
Rep

Hello guys,
Posting an update, and unfortunately the news are not good...
After changing everything including the stuff everyone here mentioned (the high pressure fuel pumps, and all the vent pipes) the error is still present.
The car runs absolutely fine and all of a sudden there is a code: Engine fault reduced power, and multiple misfires always on different cylinders 1,3,5 or whatever...
The mechanics are confused as to why is that, they don't have any idea where the error is coming from.
And the only thing that I am thinking at the moment, is that maybe there might be a problem with the DME
Any advice will be highly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 03:43 PM   #8
9kracing
I like to party
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Dinan S3-R

Do you hear a chirping noise?

I agree, this sounds like the symptoms I had when my vent pipe cracked, although you said you already changed them.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 07:33 PM   #9
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Marty View Post
Hello guys,
Posting an update, and unfortunately the news are not good...
After changing everything including the stuff everyone here mentioned (the high pressure fuel pumps, and all the vent pipes) the error is still present.
The car runs absolutely fine and all of a sudden there is a code: Engine fault reduced power, and multiple misfires always on different cylinders 1,3,5 or whatever...
The mechanics are confused as to why is that, they don't have any idea where the error is coming from.
And the only thing that I am thinking at the moment, is that maybe there might be a problem with the DME
Any advice will be highly appreciated!
After replacing the vent pipes in my x5 it took a few days of driving around for the car to properly adapt the fuel trim. I was able to monitor the fuel trims using a phone app connected to obd2, and could see long term trims improving as I drove more. There might be a way to reset the adaptation, but at the time I didn’t find any info.
      09-22-2023, 06:02 AM   #10
garyjames916
Registered
Rep
Drives: audi

Hello! It's great to hear about your passion for BMW cars. It sounds like you've made significant efforts to address the issues with your BMW E71 X6 ///M 2010. Given the misfire codes and oil leakage, a few suggestions would be:

Further Diagnostics: Considering the misfire codes, it might be worth doing a more in-depth Improving diagnostic, possibly with a BMW-specialized mechanic or dealership to pinpoint the issue accurately.

Compression Test: Perform a compression test on cylinders 6 and 7 to ensure there are no internal engine problems affecting combustion.

Check for Vacuum Leaks: Inspect for any vacuum leaks in the intake manifold or related components that could be causing the misfires.

Cylinder 6 and 7 Specific Inspection: Focus on a thorough check of components related to cylinders 6 and 7, like the ignition system, fuel injectors, and wiring harnesses.

Address Oil Leakage: Investigate and address the oil leakage to prevent any potential damage or issues.

Professional BMW Mechanic: If the issues persist or you're unable to identify the root cause, consider consulting a specialized BMW mechanic or service center for a more precise diagnosis and resolution.

Wishing you the best in resolving these issues and enjoying your BMW ///M!

Last edited by garyjames916; 09-23-2023 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 12:29 PM   #11
///Marty
Rep

Hello again everyone,

The latest update is that we finally managed to diagnose from where the problem was coming form. It was actually the DME as I suspected after changing everything + the things you guys suggested.
Anyway my DME was sent to Austria, and after 2 months of waiting it finally arrived the other day. And the car is running absolutely great now, as it should be! No faults, no crazy check engine lights.
Appreciate 0