XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-25-2023, 09:53 AM   #1
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

x5d xHP Map update May 2023

Just wanted to post a PSA that xHP has updated their maps for the x5d with torque converter lockup capabilities.

I was trying to figure out how often the xHP maps were updated since I've never really been too happy with my Sutphin tune and it costs $50 to get an updated off the shelf map. It turns out xHP just released a major update for the 6hp. Their updates seem very very infrequent, but the latest update addresses my biggest gripe which is warmup behavior so I will be making the switch. Hopefully no more sounding like I'm towing a loaded trailer while the warming up in temps below 40 degrees (have to go uphill out of the neighborhood, in flat areas its not that bad).

Major changes copied below from their facebook page, but I'm sure there there were a lot of small adjustments as well:
-Optimized Warmup behavior. Lock-up clutch will start to operate within seconds after startup.
-Optimized Lock-up clutch regulation. Firmer and earlier lock-up in general.
-Implemented Lock-Up clutch floating for better boost build-up from low RPM
-Shift-Speed and paddle reaction improvement in Manual and S-Mode

Last edited by wcs531; 05-25-2023 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 10:40 AM   #2
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs531 View Post
Just wanted to post a PSA that xHP has updated their maps for the x5d.

I was trying to figure out how often the xHP maps were updated since I've never really been too happy with my Sutphin tune and it costs $50 to get an updated off the shelf map. It turns out xHP just released their first update for the 6hp, which seems very very late, but it does address my biggest gripe which is warmup behavior so I will be making the switch.

Major changes copied below from their facebook page, but I'm sure there there were a lot of small adjustments as well:
-Optimized Warmup behavior. Lock-up clutch will start to operate within seconds after startup.
-Optimized Lock-up clutch regulation. Firmer and earlier lock-up in general.
-Implemented Lock-Up clutch floating for better boost build-up from low RPM
-Shift-Speed and paddle reaction improvement in Manual and S-Mode
Good to know. I’m on the stage 3 v2.3. I’ll have to update it to the v3.0.

I’ve never been a fan of the Sutphin tunes. I started in my 335d with the xhp stage 3 tune. Then email him about his tunes… Once you feel those quick shifts in M-mode going back to stock shift speed is just dumb. Then I found out more about Rod and overall I’d never let him do anything to either of my m57s.

Xhp stage 3 tune with the customization license is light years better than a Sutphin tune.

And while it’s annoying that the torque converter stays open when cold it serves a purpose. While the trans and engine are getting up to temp
      05-30-2023, 07:08 PM   #3
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
And while it’s annoying that the torque converter stays open when cold it serves a purpose. While the trans and engine are getting up to temp
Definitely serves a purpose helping get both trans and engine up to temp faster (reducing wear and ensuring cleaner combustion quicker), but revving to 2500+ while cold and going up a slight incline seems like it would increase wear on the engine in particular. I'll take the trade off personally....plus it wont sound like im flooring it up the hill past my neighbors walking their dog.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 08:43 PM   #4
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs531 View Post
Definitely serves a purpose helping get both trans and engine up to temp faster (reducing wear and ensuring cleaner combustion quicker), but revving to 2500+ while cold and going up a slight incline seems like it would increase wear on the engine in particular. I'll take the trade off personally....plus it wont sound like im flooring it up the hill past my neighbors walking their dog.
Actually while the rpm might help increase temp, I think it’s more so to keep the load off the engine and trans while it’s warming up. Even though it’s a diesel with lots of lowend torque I still like to try not to lugging it. High load /low rpm isn’t good for any engine.

Anyways I’ve updated to this tune and it’s actually a lot better, I was coming from the v2.3. That instant torque converter lock up is nice and very noticeable, especially in 2nd. The 2nd to 3rd shift is also much smoother. I’ve done some 3rd->4th, 4th->5th hard pulls and it is definitely much quicker and firmer (not uncomfortable though). My only dislike is in heavy traffic, and this may be because I always drive in M, the instant lockup can make things jerky if you don’t “finesse” the pedal. I have the stage 3 tune with a customization license