XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-28-2021, 10:50 PM   #1
03Saleen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Best Wireless Apple Car Play Head Unit Upgrade?

What screen would you guys recommend upgrading to for my 2013 X5? What screen are you using?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 11:29 AM   #2
Greggo
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35i, 535xiT, 525i, F800

I have been looking into this as well. Have not found anything that looks like a good option. There are a couple of MMI devices, but there is some fddly bits I don't like and upgrading to NBT is expensive. The idea of Android screen has some appeal, but still not ideal.

Each option I found has limitations that I don't think are worth the effort and cost.

The Android screen looks like a pretty good idea, but there are so many versions and there are some very concerning limitations I have found in the notes. One of the big flags was, 'cellular does not work in the US.' What does that mean? Does it really matter? Not enough information, too many options.

Hoping someone who has good experience with this will add something. I would like to have this as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 01:21 PM   #3
Dinkumbloke
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

I ordered mine from Andream after A LOT of research. They have several options to choose from depending on your preferences. I thought about the cheapest option which would keep the stock screen and just add basic CarPlay but decided on the upgraded 10.25" screen. There is a more expensive version that allows AirPlay and screen mirroring as well as a some digital dashboard options, built in GPS, and a 4G+64G Qualcomm 8-core built-in 4G-LTE IPS Car MultiMedia. All which was unnecessary in my opinion. I just wanted CarPlay which gave me AppleMusic, Spotify, AppleMaps and all the other apps. The version I got in the mail was the latest version and solved many of the issues that people have been complaining about. It came with a screen protector which it did not mention (I found out the hard way). I purchased one on-line and when I went to install it, it pulled off the one that came with it (which was nicer quality). I wasted time and money there. The latest version also had a built in microphone so I did not have to install an external option and it works & looks great. The unit even came preprogramed for your model which it didn't mention. I was halfway through the program options before I realized it was already done.

Andream is the cheapest by far at $299 (CCC) or $309 (CIC)
No Tax, No shipping which you would have to add with 4X4shop. I considered them but the total was closer to $600. It did come with the extra options that I didn't want though.
Overall, VERY pleased.
Just remember that all these units connect through the AUX so if you go back into iDrive, CarPlay will stop. For example, to go into setting to adjust your rear climate, the music or navigation will stop if you are using CarPlay but will pick right back up by touching the screen. I have Navigation and XM radio on my original equipment but do not use either.
My only complaint is when using CarPlay the volume on my music and my turn by turn navigation on any of the navigation apps cannot be adjust separately. The music will come out at a much higher volume than Siri's voice. I have looked into this and have not figured out a solution yet.
This is the one I got:

https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll...34606151565475

Installation was simple and quick. I had it done in less than an hour.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 04:29 PM   #4
Ribimus Prime
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X5

While Siri is talking, push the up volume button on your phone. This could fix your volume imbalance.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 08:14 PM   #5
Dinkumbloke
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribimus Prime View Post
While Siri is talking, push the up volume button on your phone. This could fix your volume imbalance.
I tried that as well as adjusting the volume in the iPhone settings and I turned down the volume speed adjustment with no luck. It's like the AUX reads all sound as the same. You can only increase or decrease all at once.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 01:07 PM   #6
03Saleen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkumbloke View Post
I ordered mine from Andream after A LOT of research. They have several options to choose from depending on your preferences. I thought about the cheapest option which would keep the stock screen and just add basic CarPlay but decided on the upgraded 10.25" screen. There is a more expensive version that allows AirPlay and screen mirroring as well as a some digital dashboard options, built in GPS, and a 4G+64G Qualcomm 8-core built-in 4G-LTE IPS Car MultiMedia. All which was unnecessary in my opinion. I just wanted CarPlay which gave me AppleMusic, Spotify, AppleMaps and all the other apps. The version I got in the mail was the latest version and solved many of the issues that people have been complaining about. It came with a screen protector which it did not mention (I found out the hard way). I purchased one on-line and when I went to install it, it pulled off the one that came with it (which was nicer quality). I wasted time and money there. The latest version also had a built in microphone so I did not have to install an external option and it works & looks great. The unit even came preprogramed for your model which it didn't mention. I was halfway through the program options before I realized it was already done.

No Tax, No shipping which you would have to add with 4X4shop. I considered them but the total was closer to $600. It did come with the extra options that I didn't want though.
Overall, VERY pleased.
Just remember that all these units connect through the AUX so if you go back into iDrive, CarPlay will stop. For example, to go into setting to adjust your rear climate, the music or navigation will stop if you are using CarPlay but will pick right back up by touching the screen. I have Navigation and XM radio on my original equipment but do not use either.
My only complaint is when using CarPlay the volume on my music and my turn by turn navigation on any of the navigation apps cannot be adjust separately. The music will come out at a much higher volume than Siri's voice. I have looked into this and have not figured out a solution yet.
This is the one I got:

Thanks for the detailed response, do you know how this unit compares to the AVIN unit or the 4X4 Unit?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #7
Dinkumbloke
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Saleen View Post
Thanks for the detailed response, do you know how this unit compares to the AVIN unit or the 4X4 Unit?
I was not able to compare the units first hand, sorry.
Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 09:30 PM   #8
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0si

Quote:

Overall, VERY pleased.
This is the one I got:

How does this unit boot up and get into CarPlay?

I have an old AvinUSA unit, that works pretty well, but it has some quirks. Primarily, to force the Android side to boot from a cold start, it has to launch its default built in music app - so you'll see the Android's BMW splash screen, interface, music app, and 80% of the time finally CarPlay. Also, anytime you switch over to CCC iDrive screen, you must shut it off after remaining on Android side and in the music app for 30 seconds - otherwise it will now boot on CCC side until you do this music app deal.

Anyway, long story short, I'd love to swap my unit out for a new one if they've overcome the music app boot maneuver.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 01:40 PM   #9
Mistercamp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

There's a command you can send from within Tasker (maybe even macrodroid) to force boot to Android side. I'm using a different media player with this method.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 07:41 PM   #10
Dinkumbloke
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus_BMW View Post
How does this unit boot up and get into CarPlay?

I have an old AvinUSA unit, that works pretty well, but it has some quirks. Primarily, to force the Android side to boot from a cold start, it has to launch its default built in music app - so you'll see the Android's BMW splash screen, interface, music app, and 80% of the time finally CarPlay. Also, anytime you switch over to CCC iDrive screen, you must shut it off after remaining on Android side and in the music app for 30 seconds - otherwise it will now boot on CCC side until you do this music app deal.

Anyway, long story short, I'd love to swap my unit out for a new one if they've overcome the music app boot maneuver.
My unit will boot to whatever it was on when it turned off (CIC or CarPlay). Apple Maps or Google Maps will pick right up as well. Spotify will not start playing without selecting a playlist though, but that is Spotify not the Android unit.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 08:25 PM   #11
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistercamp View Post
There's a command you can send from within Tasker (maybe even macrodroid) to force boot to Android side. I'm using a different media player with this method.
Please share some more info…I'm unfamiliar with Tasker.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 02:09 PM   #12
Mistercamp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Tasker is easy to use automation software for Android. Lots of resources and documentation online. I have a profile that, among other tasks, starts media playback on the non-stock media player (I'm using Shuttle), and also executes the 'Run Shell' action under 'code' section. The commands are listed below. The ttySx device could be different but not difficult to find if that does not work. I also have a profile setup on device shutdown that sends the switch to Android command.

Switch to Android:
echo -e "\xf2\x00\x67\x01\x01\x96" > /dev/ttyS3

Switch to iDrive
echo -e "\xf2\x00\x69\x02\x12\x02\x80" > /dev/ttyS3
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 12:45 AM   #13
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistercamp View Post
Tasker is easy to use automation software for Android. Lots of resources and documentation online. I have a profile that, among other tasks, starts media playback on the non-stock media player (I'm using Shuttle), and also executes the 'Run Shell' action under 'code' section. The commands are listed below. The ttySx device could be different but not difficult to find if that does not work. I also have a profile setup on device shutdown that sends the switch to Android command.

Switch to Android:
echo -e "\xf2\x00\x67\x01\x01\x96" > /dev/ttyS3

Switch to iDrive
echo -e "\xf2\x00\x69\x02\x12\x02\x80" > /dev/ttyS3
Big thank you. I'm going to give your commands a try, after installing Tasker.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 09:29 AM   #14
Mistercamp
Enlisted Member
Rep

No problem. Curious to hear if it worked for you or not. Also I have another project to give the unit actual auto brightness but requires a bit more work and disassembling the unit. I added an Arduino nano and external power converter controlled with an ldr. Big benefit here is you don't have to wait for Android to boot before auto dimming starts. And my unit didn't have it to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 01:42 PM   #15
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 3.5 Premium

Garage List
Resurrecting an old thread: Last week I paid to have the BimmerTech MMI device installed. I've not had a good experience. I went with BimmerTech because I wanted to be able to have tech support if it was needed. It seems that was a good choice.

The referred installer charged a fairly high fee $299 to install the device. They provided no instructions or assistance at their location even though problems appeared almost immediately. They added that BimmerTech sends them lots of business so they don't refuse to install their products, but they would have preferred that I had contacted the installer directly initially to have them order and install a CARPLAY device and they'd be more service oriented. But since I didn't they didn't have any assistance to offer regarding why the device was operating normally.

Their referred installer was nearly 2 hours away. Upon getting home I tried doing some troubleshooting using online videos. Here's my issue. About 3/4 of the time it doesn't automatically boot up. And getting it to do so manually requires a number of reboots.

The phenomenon is this. You get in the X5 and things looks like they are going operate normally then the screen simply goes black. Its like its about to start but it doesn't. After several reboots you can finally get to the MMI Prime screen. There you can go to the settings screen and manually select and deselect the pair phone and hope after a few more manual reboots the systems turns on AA. If you get out of the vehicle for longer than 20 mins, the freeze and manual re-booting is necessary once again.

I complained to BimmerTech and they gave me some tips and after several days of back and forth they finally told me it was a phone problem -- and therefore there was nothing that they could do. I use an Android operating system. It would be great if in addition to listing VIN on their site they also asked for details about our phones before they sold you their devices since they only work well with a few phones.

In any event, I acquired an Iphone and while it worked initally, within the same day it was doing the same thing as before. It wouldn't start up automatically and it took several re-boots to get it working and you couldn't leave the vehicle for more than about 20 mins before these problems would recur. Now however add that in the middle of a drive it will suddenly stop and the screen will go black.

BimmerTech now says that their device is faulty. At my expense, I can pay an installer to remove the old device and they will send me a new one.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 01:54 PM   #16
Bob_Ross
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 M-Sport

+1 for andream. Also has £20 option for adding aftermarket rear camera.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 06:50 AM   #17
Warmy
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 3.0SD

Quote:

Overall, VERY pleased.
This is the one I got:

Thanks for posting, I've been looking into the android options as well.

I've got some followup questions, i was hoping you could answer.

How does the regular FM car radio work?

I'd like to have the smart functions such as Spotify and good GPS apps like Waze or google maps, but on a daily drive i might like to just use regular FM radio. Is it possible to use the radio on the android side without any sound issues?

How has phone calls been for you?

My current CCC unit has a decent working BT system, do you use the old Idrive BT phone system?

How is the general audio quality?

I've previously seen people complain about the poor audio quality after installing android units. My car has the factory upgraded audio system, and i quite like it. Have you noticed the audio quality being negatively affected?

Can you comment on any of these points?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:41 PM   #18
03Saleen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmy View Post
Thanks for posting, I've been looking into the android options as well.

I've got some followup questions, i was hoping you could answer.

How does the regular FM car radio work?

I'd like to have the smart functions such as Spotify and good GPS apps like Waze or google maps, but on a daily drive i might like to just use regular FM radio. Is it possible to use the radio on the android side without any sound issues?

How has phone calls been for you?

My current CCC unit has a decent working BT system, do you use the old Idrive BT phone system?

How is the general audio quality?

I've previously seen people complain about the poor audio quality after installing android units. My car has the factory upgraded audio system, and i quite like it. Have you noticed the audio quality being negatively affected?

Can you comment on any of these points?
How does the regular FM car radio work? ----------- It works like stock, you effectively have 3 operating systems, Android, Apple Carplay and factory BMW iDrive you can switch back and forth between all three. Carplay runs as an app in Android.

I'd like to have the smart functions such as Spotify and good GPS apps like Waze or google maps, but on a daily drive i might like to just use regular FM radio. Is it possible to use the radio on the android side without any sound issues? ----------- Yes you select your station in iDrive first then open Waze in Carplay or Android

How has phone calls been for you? ----------- Calls connect well in Carplay but the mic is the issue, I have the external mic but for some reason the audio wont pick up from the external mic which makes it sound like you are under water. I own a cell phone repair company so I plan on opening the head unit and splicing the positive and negative wires from the internal mic to the external mic for better audio. Another person has done that on this forum before and it worked great.

My current CCC unit has a decent working BT system, do you use the old Idrive BT phone system? ----------- No, I prefer to use Carplay

How is the general audio quality? ----------- Audio quality is good as long as you set it up correctly. Most people complain because they don’t mess with the settings and think it should be plug and play. People complain about static, you can get rid of it if you turn the Aux volume to ¼ the volume and the Android head unit volume to level 30 or 80% the way up. There is some skipping issues in Carplay once in awhile because of codec compatibility issues, not that big of a deal.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 12:05 PM   #19
Warmy
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 3.0SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Saleen View Post
How does the regular FM car radio work? ----------- It works like stock, you effectively have 3 operating systems, Android, Apple Carplay and factory BMW iDrive you can switch back and forth between all three. Carplay runs as an app in Android.

I'd like to have the smart functions such as Spotify and good GPS apps like Waze or google maps, but on a daily drive i might like to just use regular FM radio. Is it possible to use the radio on the android side without any sound issues? ----------- Yes you select your station in iDrive first then open Waze in Carplay or Android

How has phone calls been for you? ----------- Calls connect well in Carplay but the mic is the issue, I have the external mic but for some reason the audio wont pick up from the external mic which makes it sound like you are under water. I own a cell phone repair company so I plan on opening the head unit and splicing the positive and negative wires from the internal mic to the external mic for better audio. Another person has done that on this forum before and it worked great.

My current CCC unit has a decent working BT system, do you use the old Idrive BT phone system? ----------- No, I prefer to use Carplay

How is the general audio quality? ----------- Audio quality is good as long as you set it up correctly. Most people complain because they don’t mess with the settings and think it should be plug and play. People complain about static, you can get rid of it if you turn the Aux volume to ¼ the volume and the Android head unit volume to level 30 or 80% the way up. There is some skipping issues in Carplay once in awhile because of codec compatibility issues, not that big of a deal.
Thanks for the answers!

Which unit did you end up buying?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 02:49 PM   #20
03Saleen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Sure, AVIN https://avinusa.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:03 AM   #21
Konradical6
Private
Rep
Drives: E70

Seeking my car so selling my unit. Was very happy with it for use with android auto and apple carolay. Also a nice upgrade to view the OEM screens. It’s in the classifieds if interested
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 11:29 AM   #22
armasmike
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw x5 e70

I been looking in to this also and would like to get the 12.3 in screens. But can you update the OS from the ver it might come with, lets say android 11 to 12 down the line?

Also can you add options i want to added a front cam and have the new android unit be the DVR ?
Appreciate 0