XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #45
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep
Drives: E61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakalika View Post
How did you remove the wood trim on the center console? I'm trying to replace my dark popular with bamboo.
See above
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDemonDM View Post
Sexy build! those wheels transformed the car.
Yea, I am a big sucker for OEM forged 5 spoke wheels and 21" fill out the wheel wells nicely. The tricky part is tire options since ideally I am trying to "upsize" to 285/40F 325/35R but it looks like I will be needing to compromise is some way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnex View Post
Very nice transformation!
Literally upgrading everything from A to Z.
Done pretty much the same to mine

Few comments:

- E70 X5M brakes will need only 19" to clear

- xDelete? I'm running close to 400hp/ 800Nm and with AWD disabled my propshaft is crying for help. The E70 differential and proshaft is a bit underrated. 5-series is much more tough. I wouldn't run RWD on a tuned Diesel E70
Good to know about the brakes for my eventual winter setup. Regarding the drivetrain can you direct me towards links/info on the drivetrain failures? There is no doubting that the rear drivetrain wasn't designed to handle the torque of a tuned M57 but having some concrete data on what is likely to fail, at what power level, and why would be really helpful. I am used to vehicles where tires loose traction before drivetrain is broken but with 5,000lbs and Michelin PSSs it might be another story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF07e70 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I went with the BimmerGeeks Pro-K+Dcan Cable and was able to disable xdrive.

What was the process to remove the front driveshaft? is it just 5-6 nuts/bolts and pulling the shaft out from the spline?
Drop front reinforcement, unbolt shaft, remove.

I reinstalled mine since the TC output flange is only held in place with a retaining clip and one owner who did the same thing had his flange fall out. This potential risk was enough for me to reinstall the shaft.

---------------------------------------------------------
Purchased a used rear upper console trim off ebay to replace the DVD monitor and got a new phone delete plate for the the inner storage (from ECS Tuning).

- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Lines +Ethanol Sensor
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlet, AR DPs, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP +Tial
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #46
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Putting "the truck" to use....

Shipping wheels

Found a $1,200 radiator setup at the salvage yard.

Transporting a panoramic roof cassette for my E61

License plates arrived. The original hardware was 2 rusty Philips head bolts, I replaced it with some black allen bolts with washers. This will look real clean once the personalized plate arrives.

With the X5 debadged this will help enthusiasts know what motor is under the hood, common civilians will have no idea what's going on which is just the way I like it. If you know, you know.

Adding a wireless charger. What's slick about this setup is the charger is mounted to the ash tray which can easily pop out if needed.

Weekend projects:
Transmission service
Cleaned manifold (again)
Swirl flap delete.
I was going to do vacuum lines as well but I will save that for when I do the downpipe.

Fluid, pan, mechatronics sleeves, bridge, and connector seal.

Yummy

RealOEM FTW

Cleaned the trans support (and other splash panels not pictured).

WTF is this sorry excuse of a transfer case bushing? I was surprised to find out the X5M bushing is nearly identical. With all the TQ of the M57 motor and this offset mount only on one side this seems like it would be a good item to reinforce with a solid rubber mount.

Inspected the transmission wiring connector to confirm pin locations, I will be adding an X5M wheel with paddles and need to run wiring from the wheel all the way to this connector.

Still have to crack open the filter but magnets looked fine with what I understand as a normal amount of metal powder/paste.

New bridge seal and sealing sleeves installed.

Patiently waiting for the trans fluid to get up to temp during refill....

Used a WiFi endoscope to peak down into the valves. All things considered they look great, the only CBU I need to address is on the plastic portion of the valve cover. I will wait to clean that once I have another excuse to pull the cover since it should be and easy task and won't require walnut blasting.

Manifold cleaned, power washed, dried w/ compressed air, and reassembled with swirl flap deletes.

Some quick snaps while running errands. I have a black kidney grill on the way.

Appreciate 2
      05-21-2019, 03:23 PM   #47
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Awesome stuff. Do you have a lift in that garage? It's a nice setup! Also do you have a link for that charger? It fits under the cover when closed?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #48
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

I have been debating with which trans fluids to go for. Any reason for going with Mecron SP?

Did you drain the torque converter as well? Or you just mixed it with whatever fluid was used before?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:05 PM   #49
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
Awesome stuff. Do you have a lift in that garage? It's a nice setup! Also do you have a link for that charger? It fits under the cover when closed?
Thanks, my garage is small so I have to keep it organized and functional. No lift, just some heavy duty jack stand.

The charger is called "Fastpad" and is on Amazon, it doesn't clear the sliding partition but it's close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5-User View Post
I have been debating with which trans fluids to go for. Any reason for going with Mecron SP?

Did you drain the torque converter as well? Or you just mixed it with whatever fluid was used before?
I didn't drain the torque converter.

Went with the Mercon since Shell makes the fluid for Ford and VF, both are Shell M-1375.4, with the same specs, and made at the same factory in Houston (so the internet tells me). That is good enough for me!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 10:21 PM   #50
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr View Post
Thanks, my garage is small so I have to keep it organized and functional. No lift, just some heavy duty jack stand.

The charger is called "Fastpad" and is on Amazon, it doesn't clear the sliding partition but it's close.

I didn't drain the torque converter.

Went with the Mercon since Shell makes the fluid for Ford and VF, both are Shell M-1375.4, with the same specs, and made at the same factory in Houston (so the internet tells me). That is good enough for me!
Thanks for the info. That also clears it for me. Where is the best place to get Mercon from? I have found it in my local AdvancedAutoParts
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 06:45 AM   #51
Yanchii
Second Lieutenant
Moldova
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post
How confident are you with RWD only in the torque monster that is the M57 X5? I'm considering X delete, I wouldn't be pulling the driveshaft, but I'm considering the flash. I tow fairly regularly, up to the tow rating limit, so I'm hesitant to push the components like that.

Also- With the X5M brakes: What's the smallest wheel that would clear them? Would 19" wheels clear? I'm very interested in upgrading to the M brakes. Again, towing, more brake can't hurt. I too love the look and theory of a taller tire, I'm bummed the 45 AR didn't work out..
I have Xdelete on my X5 35d and in RWD I break the tires loose on dry pavement all day and can keep them rollin and I have 315s on the rear, I wouldnt be worried at all lol everything is still nice and solid rear diff is very strong and can handle the abuse. I'm at about 575wtq
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 10:23 AM   #52
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. That also clears it for me. Where is the best place to get Mercon from? I have found it in my local AdvancedAutoParts
I don't have any special place to buy from, I think I got mine off eBay since it was the quantity I needed (7) for a fair price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanchii View Post
I have Xdelete on my X5 35d and in RWD I break the tires loose on dry pavement all day and can keep them rollin and I have 315s on the rear, I wouldnt be worried at all lol everything is still nice and solid rear diff is very strong and can handle the abuse. I'm at about 575wtq
What brand tires? You should take a video (from outside the X5), it would be great to see this display of torque-smash.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 03:44 PM   #53
Yanchii
Second Lieutenant
Moldova
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr View Post
Quote:
I don't have any special place to buy from, I think I got mine off eBay since it was the quantity I needed (7) for a fair price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanchii View Post
What brand tires? You should take a video (from outside the X5), it would be great to see this display of torque-smash.
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx Gt tires I have a video but it was a failed attempt! Will definitely post another one soon when I find an appropriate spot lol share a link here soon of the failed attempt as well, once the car sees brake temps get to high just cuts power but itll all be taken care of soon so I can freely spin them as long as I wish.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 04:10 PM   #54
Yanchii
Second Lieutenant
Moldova
Rep

Watch "BMW X5 35d Xdelete Failed burnout attempt" on YouTube
this was my first ever attempt at it.
Appreciate 2
pdX5M111.50
Nyc Dito112.50
      06-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #55
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Depo smoked indicators

With the exterior theme of the X5 getting darker the rear lower valance (Titanium color stock) got Dipped.

Upgraded the rear sway bar to an Ultra Racing bar, this is the beefiest sway I could find for the E70. This is 24mm compared to my OEM 21mm. Endlinks were also replaced with Meyle HD units.

Nav screen and the anti-glare coating has seen better days so I hit it with a 3" DA polisher and some Chem Guys V38

People on FB (apparently those who have never done this mod) were in an uproar saying this was super dumb and they would never do it as the glare would be unbearable.... mmmkay.

Like a GLOVE.... OEM style 167 M6 wheels fit nicely in the rear.

Picked up a M Sport steering wheel. I am on the hunt for a clean heated M Sport/X5m wheel but in the meantime I came across this nonheated wheel for a great price so I will run this in the meantime. I also prefer the M sport paddles over the X5M paddles so I can keep these paddles and make a hybrid wheel if I end up with an X5M wheel, which I probably will.

I am always shocked at how careless dismantlers are with parts considering they plan on selling them. This wheel has a tiny little cut up top and a few dents on the left side of the wheel. I have already used a heat gun and some finger massaging to relieve some of the creases and are about 50% better, I will see if I can find a local upholstery shop that can maybe fully release them.

Stud Conversion in the works, waiting for spacers and fender flares.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2019, 10:40 AM   #56
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

That screen cleaned up well!
      06-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #57
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Are you trying to sell that heated sport wheel? What would you want for the whole thing?
      06-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #58
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post
Are you trying to sell that heated sport wheel? What would you want for the whole thing?
Sent you a PM
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #59
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Coming from the N54 world one of the aspects of the M57 that gets me really fired up is strength and reliability.

This is what happened to cylinder #3 on my first N54 motor. Direct injection + port injection + misfire + some extra PI spray = detonation. It was a wild ride when she let go, fire and skidding out of control.

Oil pan almost blew completely off and there were punctures all over the block

1 doggo power

15F 20R H&R spacers

While installing fender flares I also popped off the front bumper and did a quick Morimoto xb LED fog light retrofit.

Here is the evolution of the front end. REALLY liking the black fog lights.

Time for a wash.

Here are some pictures with the new flares, spacers, wheel studs, and LED fog light retrofit.

In regards to fitment the next item will be running taller aspect ratio tired to fill up the wheel wells, after tires I will lower as needed to eliminate excessive wheel gap.

Next project, OEM trailer hitch.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 10:56 AM   #60
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X5d & 20 X7 M50i

Great job on the fog retrofit! Do you have a pic of the back of completed housing? How is the beam pattern?

Some msport roof rails would really set it off but dont think they would look right unless painted body color.

Loving all your mods so far, X is looking amazing. Look forward to seeing whats next.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 07:28 PM   #61
Smonkbmw
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5 m57

Garage List
2013 BMW x5 35d  [0.00]
Whose fender flares are you running? Oem?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 05:35 PM   #62
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftronix View Post
Great job on the fog retrofit! Do you have a pic of the back of completed housing? How is the beam pattern?

Some msport roof rails would really set it off but dont think they would look right unless painted body color.

Loving all your mods so far, X is looking amazing. Look forward to seeing whats next.
I like flush rails but the reality is with those you need taller base bars if you are going to run any roof rack. I have Yakima Whispbars which are ultra sleek but need these slightly raised rails to clamp onto. With my function>form mentality it doesn't make sense to sway them in the off chance I need to use the roof rack.

Here is a pic of the back of the fog housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smonkbmw View Post
Whose fender flares are you running? Oem?
No, they are aftermarket from eBay. Fitment is great but they arrived squished from poor packaging so I am working with them to get it resolved. If they arrived undamaged I would have no problem recommending them for the price. We will see how they hold up to UV damage, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 05:55 PM   #63
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

I replaced worn Start/Stop and AC fan speed (not shown) buttons.

Got some pedals from Ultimate Pedals, I have ran a pair on my old E39 M5 and am on my second set on my white E61, they are extremely well made and I am a big fan or brushed metals in interiors.

Details

Before

During

After

In my eyes this is a nice sporty/classy touch to the interior.

Getting back to the OEM hitch install

These are all the goodies included in the kit

I wasn't going to put up with the excessive bumper trimming required to fit the OEM hitch so I decided to modify the angle of the plate that mounts the trailer wiring connector. I cut it off and ground it flush with an angle grinder

Paid a local welder $20 to mount it back on

OEM crash bar vs OEM hitch, the hitch is real beefy and weighs about 55lbs

Hitch bolted up, you can see the nee vertical orientation of the connector ....and all the scratches the welder added to the hitch while moving it around. I used some Duplicolor semi-gloss paint which matched the OEM finish very well.

Moving onto the wiring

Previous owners had little kids, I have now collected about 10-12 Lego pieces from the interior. Battery area got a vacuum.

Wiring ran to fuse block and module installed.

Trimming was a little tedious but I am happy with the results.

In this photo the 4 pin connector/adapter is installed, some people inquired if it would sit too low in the new position, no.

Clean!

Added +AHMU to the vehicle order and then followed that up with some additional module coding

Some module coding included rear view camera zoom for aligning a trailer

The setup with the new 1UP Super Duty bike rack installed. It is the only rack would fit my monster 1360mm wheelbase Pole Evolink.

Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      07-01-2019, 07:28 PM   #64
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 330e, C8 Vette

Love it!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 01:20 AM   #65
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Excellent work!
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 06:09 AM   #66
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

wow..your work is meticulous... love it!