XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-30-2023, 06:39 PM   #1
chitown60608
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

2010 X5 E70 CIC issue

I've read many threads about related issues, but can't quite get my head wrapped around what actions I should take in the correct order.

I just purchased this last week. Owner told me the NAV unit more than likely needs replaced. He said that he sent it to a company in the London area and they 'replaced the unit' and that it worked fine for a while, but started again. I've pulled the unit and there are two warranty stickers in a couple of places that has the company name and a 'seal' number. I have written the company to see if I can find out exactly what they did.

The issue is the screen will either be off/black or will get stuck in a reboot loop. It shows the BMW logo 7 seconds and then reboots. It does this the entire time the key is inserted or the car is running. The odd thing is that the CD player makes a clicking sort of noise, makes another odd noise, and this repeats every 7 seconds. If you've ever heard a gaming system or CD player checking for a disk, that's the sounds it's making. This occurs 24/7, whether the key is in the truck or not. I've added a couple of videos to youtube that shows these two occurrences happening.

There are no chimes or noises, i.e. door open with key, headlights left on, seatbelt not fastened, etc.

I've pulled the CIC unit out, if for no other reason than to keep it from killing my battery eventually. I really don't know what order to do things to pinpoint what is faulty. I plan to upgrade the screen to an XTrons unit. I put one in my last 2010 X5 and it was the best upgrade I've ever done to a car. I could purchase that, but I feel like it's not going to perform any better than the stock unit until this issue is resolved. I could get a replacement CIC unit, but I don't know if there's some modules that could be bad somewhere else that is causing the issue.

So, I'm open for suggestions on where to start.

Here are the videos of the BMW screen and then one of the CD player doing its thing.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/mxRpxlohAB0 (might need to volume up to hear it)

Appreciate any help you guys can give!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 09:50 PM   #2
jbash87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5, 2012 X5d, 2008 E91

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [10.00]
2006 BMW M5  [10.00]
You said you've read up on it a bit. Have you tried to hard restart it? I doubt it will fix your problem but its easy to do and worth a shot.

Hopefully you get some info out of the company that replaced the "unit". My bet is you have a bad hard drive, though.

How computer savvy are you? Do you know anyone locally with a similar era BMW with Nav? If you do you can clone their hard drive onto a new one which will get the system working again. It won't be fully functional without a bit of work but will be good enough for you to run the xtrons system.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 03:19 AM   #3
chitown60608
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbash87 View Post
Have you tried to hard restart it?
I did try to hard reset it, but I didn’t see any changes.

Quote:
How computer savvy are you?
I’m savvy enough with tech. I’ve had a computer for 35+ years. Also have a BS in Computer Science. I pulled the drive and plan to clone it, but we just moved here, so all of my stuff is on a container and won’t be here for another month or more. I’ll buy a new PATA adapter and see what I can get off of my drive.

As I figured it might be my HDD, figured I would try putting a good clone on a new SSD, but I haven't been able to source an image. I don't know anyone here and all the images that get posted online have disappeared over time.

Thank you for your response.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 09:58 AM   #4
jbash87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [10.00]
2006 BMW M5  [10.00]
I'll PM you.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 06:21 PM   #5
chitown60608
Rep

Appreciate the PM. I replied, but not sure it went through as it's currently disabled until I wait a few days and make a few posts. I definitely live in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 01:28 PM   #6
chitown60608
Rep

I got my image cloned to a new SSD drive and got it hooked back up, but the issue remains. Also, I might be missing it, but I can't don't see the brown (ENET) cable that connects to the back of the CIC. Like I said, I'm going to take a flashlight out so I can get some good light into the space, but I didn't see that cable. Anyone know where it runs to? Thought I could start at the other end to see if it's there and disappears somewhere along the way to the CIC or if it's actually missing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 01:51 PM   #7
chitown60608
Rep

Think I've answered my own question. I found a schematic and it appears this is for connecting to screens in the back of the seats. As mine doesn't have them, I suppose it wouldn't be present.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 01:37 PM   #8
chitown60608
Rep

New CIC is installed

So I got a new CIC unit installed. Screen works fine now, but still no music/tones. I can list all of the things I've tried so far, but first I need to know if the sound will work without the unit being coded for my vehicle. I know NAV won't work until I get it coded, but I just wanna make sure my sound should work without it first being coded.

Also, would it be beneficial for me to swap my old hard drive into the new CIC?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 08:43 PM   #9
jbash87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [10.00]
2006 BMW M5  [10.00]
If everything seems to work except for sound then it's probably a MOST bus fault. You can Google that to see how to troubleshoot it. You basically isolate the bad component by installing a loop into the MOST bus at its connection.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 02:32 AM   #10
chitown60608
Rep

Quote:
If everything seems to work except for sound then it's probably a MOST bus fault. You can Google that to see how to troubleshoot it. You basically isolate the bad component by installing a loop into the MOST bus at its connection.
That's what I thought as well. I've checked all I can find, but I'm not finding many. There's a red light coming out of the CIC, red light at changer in the glove box, red light at loop under the glove box and red light at BT module in the back. Those are all I can find. There's nothing in the bracket with the BT module besides the antenna, which doesn't have a fiber connection. Nothing under the spare tire, nothing in the right side luggage area (driver's side here in UK). The fiber pigtail only has 2 wires looping on it. I've searched all over the forum looking for a MOST ring diagram for an E70, but the only posts that mention it point to the TIS page which has been shut down by BMW.

I've reset the CIC a couple of times and pulled the battery cable for an hour. Not sure what to try now. I do have a ODBII adapter and a full ProTool license, so I can read anything that someone might want me to check.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 08:05 AM   #11
jbash87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [10.00]
2006 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown60608 View Post
That's what I thought as well. I've checked all I can find, but I'm not finding many. There's a red light coming out of the CIC, red light at changer in the glove box, red light at loop under the glove box and red light at BT module in the back. Those are all I can find. There's nothing in the bracket with the BT module besides the antenna, which doesn't have a fiber connection. Nothing under the spare tire, nothing in the right side luggage area (driver's side here in UK). The fiber pigtail only has 2 wires looping on it. I've searched all over the forum looking for a MOST ring diagram for an E70, but the only posts that mention it point to the TIS page which has been shut down by BMW.

I've reset the CIC a couple of times and pulled the battery cable for an hour. Not sure what to try now. I do have a ODBII adapter and a full ProTool license, so I can read anything that someone might want me to check.
Interesting... No amp? What sound system does your build say it has? Enter your VIN in any online BMW Vin decoder and tell us what options it should have.

It may be that the CIC needs to be reprogrammed for the exact build you have.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 11:30 AM   #12
chitown60608
Rep

Quote:
Interesting... No amp? What sound system does your build say it has? Enter your VIN in any online BMW Vin decoder and tell us what options it should have.

It may be that the CIC needs to be reprogrammed for the exact build you have.
Multimedia
S609 Navigation System Professional
S612 BMW Assist
S615 Extended BMW Online Information
S616 BMW Online
S633 Preparation, Mobile Phone, Business
S672 CD Changer For 6 CDs
S698 Area-Code 2 For DVD
S6AA BMW TeleServices
S6AB Control, Teleservices

Would it help if I swapped my original HD into the new CIC?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 08:36 PM   #13
jbash87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [10.00]
2006 BMW M5  [10.00]
You can try to swap it in, yes. I'm not 100% sure whether the coding is stored on the hard drive or not, but it is worth a try. Sorry missed that part of your post above.

Your car is not meant to have an amp based on the options you listed above. If the CIC unit came from a car coded for an amp and yours doesn't have one I would imagine that is the problem.

Have you ever used NCSEXPERT before? That is where the coding will be done (mostly) for getting the new CIC to match your car.
Appreciate 0