XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-08-2023, 04:53 PM   #1
Chrisnytx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [10.00]
Over torqued Oil Filter Housing

Greetings,

I was conducting a regularly scheduled oil changed on my n55. I picked up a new torque wrench from harbor freight (my nicer torque wrench doesn’t go as low as 25 nm). I started to tighten it by hand and then went to verify the torque with my torque wrench but then it slipped off and I realized I over tightened my oil filter cap. I tried to take it off but it seemed like it will require some elbow grease. Since I don’t have a spare on hand, I don’t want to force it incase it’s broken and can’t be put back on. I finished up my oil change and turned on the car to verify the oil level and everything seems to be working well.

My question is, is this something I will have to fix on my next oil change? Or should I be worried and try to fix this ASSP.

Thank you for your time!

Last edited by Chrisnytx; 04-08-2023 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: I accidentally said oil filter housing but I meant oil filter cap
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 11:02 PM   #2
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

fix on the next oil change, check for cracks, replace, cheap part to replace or get the billet one from ECS tuning (metal vs. plastic)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 09:18 PM   #3
Chrisnytx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyStyle View Post
fix on the next oil change, check for cracks, replace, cheap part to replace or get the billet one from ECS tuning (metal vs. plastic)
Just knocked out my next oil change and there's no damage as I might've expected. Is a billet cap significantly better? It always looked to a piece of accessory vs function.
Appreciate 0