XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
Marino
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d MSport Coupe

I am a new comer to the forum. Thinking of changing my much loved 335d MSport Coupe to X6 40d (recent arrival of twins and have had enough of RWD Coupe sliding everywhere in the winter even with snow tyres!!). I have seen rumours online (but only rumours) that the X5 and X6 will both have new shapes in 2014!! I don't want to buy an expensive X6 for it to be changed in 18mths. When do you guys think the X6 is likely to change shape? Thanks for the advice.
PS Is the X6 as bad in the snow as Clarkson says? My friend has an Audi Q7 which is amazing in the snow and ice with standard (not snow) tyres, but the X6 is much better to drive in normal conditions and I don't like the look of the Q7.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
bradh2238
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X6 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino View Post
I am a new comer to the forum. Thinking of changing my much loved 335d MSport Coupe to X6 40d (recent arrival of twins and have had enough of RWD Coupe sliding everywhere in the winter even with snow tyres!!). I have seen rumours online (but only rumours) that the X5 and X6 will both have new shapes in 2014!! I don't want to buy an expensive X6 for it to be changed in 18mths. When do you guys think the X6 is likely to change shape? Thanks for the advice.
PS Is the X6 as bad in the snow as Clarkson says? My friend has an Audi Q7 which is amazing in the snow and ice with standard (not snow) tyres, but the X6 is much better to drive in normal conditions and I don't like the look of the Q7.
The X6 is amazing in the snow. The only review that has ever really bashed it, was done with the high speed rated tires that are not designed for bad weather. With a snow or ice compound tire, the X6 is probably better than the Q7. As for the body change, my money is on 2015 for the X6. I think it is a 7 year cycle. Regardless, I don't see a dramatic change.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
ndabunka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d Sport Black/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino View Post

The Top Gear guys are KNOWN to have a overly-slanted bias towards the English repair disaster known as the Range Rover. So much so that the X6 review was basically a "running joke" done without any REAL analysis. They show it having a hard time in the Swiss alps but also had it fitted with summer performance tires that everyone KNOWS won't work...even if you fitted them to a Range Rover in that same condition it would also not perform well. If BMW had been there and simply swapped the tires with the RR, the results would have been different.

As far as design changes...7 years is on mark. They also need to produce enough to pay for the tooling and since they don't sell as many X6's, they may need to run production longer in order to make their profit margins so I would agree with 2015 as being the EARLIEST you would see a changed x6. Now the X5's are a different story. They've been similar for SO long now that I could see a X5 change next year IMHO
Appreciate 0