XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-23-2020, 05:20 PM   #1
Loud Noises
F0rum Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 528xi, ‘11 X6

Garage List
2013 BMW X5D  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Comfort Access and Power Lift Gate

I recently bought a 2013 X5d and the comfort access is not working and the it looks like previous owners snip the wires going to the spindle drives that raise/lower the rear gate. I'm not sure if this is because they replaces the spindle drives with cheaper drives/struts. I'm curious if the comfort access system is tied to the lift gate in the back. I've searched the internet and this forum for a solution but can't come across one. I've changed the battery in the FOB and tried to re-sync the FOB with what I found on the internet.

Can any one point me in the right direction or provide a solution to this issue? Any assistance is very much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 03:06 PM   #2
rlaggan
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i

If your asking if CA is disabled on lift gate errors, no.
Are you saying they removed all the motor driven lifts and replaced with standard gas lifts? Who knows why they did it, especially after spending all the $$ on new struts, not cheap. Problem was no doubt logged in computer systems, commonly it's just a limit switch or something is blocking sensors so it won't close..

If so, you can either, A: fix the problems or B: clean up the remaining HKL (auto lift module) system so it is not affecting other systems.
A:
Fixing...you'll have to grab the lift struts from ebay or somewhere else, fix the wiring and the diagnose the original problem.

B:
Remove HKL module entirely (right rear bottom of trunk) then tape up cut wires, re-code cic,frm,ca, and any other systems that used it (also to remove options appearing in the center display). May be easier to remove the entire lift gate option from the vehicle order (VO) in CAS and FRM. The other affected systems should be automatically updated.

As for the CA issue, that CAN get complicated but its usually something simple like the fob battery. You said you replaced it and 'it didn't work'...
Did you try second key?
After replacing fob battery and using key to start/drive a few times, does the car light up or make any noises when car is locked, left alone for a few minutes, and you return to car?
Does car start only with key in receptacle or will it start while it's in your pocket and you are in car?
Are you able to lock/unlock via fob or use ANY single function besides starting while fob in receptacle? (If it start, authentication in start/stop switch is reading chip in fob correctly, unlikely key is bad if both start car and both have new batteries)

Depending on answers to the above, and since the car needs nothing to exchange codes after a fob battery replacement, issue could be a bit deeper.

Last edited by rlaggan; 05-24-2020 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0