XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-21-2020, 11:26 AM   #1
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 M Sport

Turbo removal X5 50i

Shitty N63 engine.......Does anyone know how to remove the turbos specifically the Y-clamp nuts at the bottom of the mid section of the turbos?

I cannot get a socket, wrench or anything to loosen the y-clamps. And how to remove the down pipes?

Replacing the turbo return lines and fixing the coolant leak.

Thanks,
Frustrated BMW owner with time on his hand....

Last edited by Movado750; 05-21-2020 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Title
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 11:54 AM   #2
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movado750 View Post
Shitty N63 engine.......Does anyone know how to remove the turbos specifically the Y-clamp nuts at the bottom of the mid section of the turbos?

I cannot get a socket, wrench or anything to loosen the y-clamps. And how to remove the down pipes?

Thanks,

The downpipe process is pretty straightforward.

U gotta unbolt the two nuts on each side underneath where the downpipe meet the front pipe.

Then the heat shield bolts e8.

Then from top once u get the heat shield off you have the v-clamp that keeps the downpipe attached to the turbo. They come off and the Downpipes should wiggle out
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 05:07 PM   #3
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movado750 View Post

Thanks,
Assume you talking about the clamps that go from the turbo to manifold. Get a good 1/4" drive ratchet set and 13mm normal and 13mm deep socket as well as a small extension for it. Thats What I use and it works great, between the three different lengths you can find the right one that will just give you room to get to the bolt. After you have it off you will see they left you with just enough room to get in there. Putting them back on is where the real fun is at... As for the rest, check on the bmw new tis site for detailed instructions.

You dont have to remove the downpipes to pull the turbos but you need to remove them for another reason its a challenge, there are some hidden bolts on the back of the engine you have remove that suck to get to on the drivers side due to the transmission cooler lines
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 08:59 AM   #4
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 M Sport

Yes that’s the bolts I talking about...Man , that’s what I thought would be the answer. Holy cow I’m this far might as well go all the way I guess.

Damn Germans.....
Appreciate 0