XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #45
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
I'll have to check mine out. I know I don't have tweeters in the rear door cards and those look very nice back there. I eventually want to get some door cards that do that the tweeters on them.
Yea please post it up once all done.

The tinted windshield looks 10x better on it! I will be going that route too now. Haha

Yea I like the empty outer grills too. I'll look into some light bars that could fit nicely behind the lower center grill. It's a shame I can't use the inner light for anything. It has the bulb housing too and projector for it too! I guess with separately wired halos, the company couldn't figure out what to put there lol.

Thanks man! I'm happy the way it all looks together. Hopefully I can get the gaps all fixed up later. Yes, really not bad for Chinese Parts. Both bumper and fenders are plastic, maybe they just have to warm up and flex back tot heir original shape. the bumper alone definitely makes a difference.

I wanted x5m style fenders at first but they were too much. Now they're on sale. last night I was set on getting them and returning these, then I looked at the price of the signal inserts. $300!
https://www.drivenbystyle.com/2007-2...e-s-30764.html

Ahh got it, I remember now when I tried the e90 Adaptive lights, they were on auto. It wasn't dark enough last night for the auto to work on the x5 so I had them manually on.
As far as the projector, not sure what projector it uses. It was the aftermarket light that wasn't as bright, but it also wasn't dark enough to actually test it on the road.
I definitely will post up. If you have no tweeters up in the rear I'm pretty sure you have base audio like me. The difference though is night and day and there's so many speaker locations to utilize. Also the x5 is by far one of the easiest vehicle interiors I've ever taken apart.

Yes! I was skeptical at first but my tint shop convinced me. My car went from you can see me when you drive by to all I can see is your hand 😂. And my windshield had kind of a greenish tint when you look at it and now it's like grayish instead which looks a whole lot better visually. But as far as looking out you can't really tell the difference at all.

Me personally, I would leave the outside grilles as is and go with a light bar in the lower center grille. I just love the look of the empty outside grilles. And like I said rough country makes street legal light bars if the 5-0 are lame where you are lol.

Hm. I'm thinking it's just the housing where the projector light went. But you could shine some light in the housing and see if a usable beam comes out.

I'll definitely be keeping your x5m conversion in mind, cause it does look really good. I actually like x5 headlight better than the x5m headlights too so this conversion really catches my eye. That's gonna look real aggressive when you get it painted up too and the headlights really tie the whole look together.

So now that you have the aggressive look does that mean you'll be doing engine mods after this? I know I was between a 335i and my 335d, because the 335is have huge power potential with lots of torque but I love my diesels too much and the jet turbo spool and insane torque on my 335d sold me.
      05-24-2020, 04:09 PM   #46
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
I definitely will post up. If you have no tweeters up in the rear I'm pretty sure you have base audio like me. The difference though is night and day and there's so many speaker locations to utilize. Also the x5 is by far one of the easiest vehicle interiors I've ever taken apart.

Yes! I was skeptical at first but my tint shop convinced me. My car went from you can see me when you drive by to all I can see is your hand 😂. And my windshield had kind of a greenish tint when you look at it and now it's like grayish instead which looks a whole lot better visually. But as far as looking out you can't really tell the difference at all.

Me personally, I would leave the outside grilles as is and go with a light bar in the lower center grille. I just love the look of the empty outside grilles. And like I said rough country makes street legal light bars if the 5-0 are lame where you are lol.

Hm. I'm thinking it's just the housing where the projector light went. But you could shine some light in the housing and see if a usable beam comes out.

I'll definitely be keeping your x5m conversion in mind, cause it does look really good. I actually like x5 headlight better than the x5m headlights too so this conversion really catches my eye. That's gonna look real aggressive when you get it painted up too and the headlights really tie the whole look together.

So now that you have the aggressive look does that mean you'll be doing engine mods after this? I know I was between a 335i and my 335d, because the 335is have huge power potential with lots of torque but I love my diesels too much and the jet turbo spool and insane torque on my 335d sold me.
Good to know, looking forward to seeing it posted up. How’s the wiring? On the e91 to upgrade to Logic7, I needed to add the amp and wiring and maybe radio and code, seemed like too much. I just added the Logic7 speakers and left the rest alone. Lol

Yea the front tint looks really good. It’s a bonus that it doesn’t make a difference in visibility too. Hope they police don’t give me any trouble once I get it.

I looked at what rough country had, seems like 2x the price from eBay. I’m sure better quality. I did order the led pods I mentioned earlier with the halo ring. I like the look of it with the halos.
If I can get behind the outer grill to the point where light from them still shines through but they’re hidden pretty well, I’ll keep them. If I can see them behind the grill once’s it’s all mounted, then I’ll definitely got with a light bar behind the grill.

Thanks for the tip, didn’t even think of shining a light through there! I’ll try it. If it works, I’ll probably put an h7 led bulb in there with wiring and wire it to a switch in the car later on.

Thanks man, the bumper and the halos do make it all look a lot more aggressive. The price on the bumper isn’t bad and it did come with the proper flares too.
I like the x5m light, a bit more aggressive imo. My original plan was to get x6/x5m fenders/lights with oem used x5m bumper. The cost was about $800-1000 more though. If my headlight eyebrows ever get here, I might be able to add a little bit more aggressiveness to the headlights!

Well the x5 will probably sit like that for a few weeks until I have time to paint the front end and install it.
Yes, my future plans are to mod it. I think it would be really nice to have a fast suv! Hahaha.
I would also like to get the x5m rear bumper too. So either finish the conversion or buy jb4 and a few other mods.
What power is your 335d putting down?
My 335i has just about everything done to it that the stock turbos can handle, kind of. I have stage 2 fuel pump and massive inter cooler that I have to install.(I’ve had them for like 8 months already just sitting there.) once those are installed, short of PI or meth injection, the stock turbos are just about maxed out.
It’s nice your x5d and 335d have the same engine so you already know exactly what’s mods to do. I have to go back and forth between n54 and n55 now, shouldn’t be too bad. Lol.
E93 335i-DINAN tuned. Alpine over Saddle brown
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 07:41 PM   #47
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

The wiring wasn't bad at all. I got wiring diagrams through Crutchfield tech support which helped a lot. I reused the factory front and rear wiring, then only needed to run wiring to the d-pillar speakers and the underseat woofers. As for amp wiring, it's insanely simple with the battery in the trunk.

The rough country is definitely expensive, but if light bars are frowned upon in your area the street legal light bars they offer are very nice.

Can't wait to see it all together! Maybe you can post up a parts list of everything you need once you're done with it. I don't think anyone has attempted that type of conversion, atleast that I've seen. It'll definitely one if a kind!

That's what I like to hear . I think I like the idea of a fast suv rather than my car for some reason. What does the rear bumper look like? I honestly don't feel the rear bumper looks that bad, but if it allows for a more aggressive exhaust then it would be worth it.

Well last time I went to the dyno I put down 348whp and 530lb-ft on a mustang dyno. Since then I fixed a boost leak on the intake manifold & fixed the vacuum line that caused the boost leak (my fault) , my tunes been further refined twice, and I've upgraded my fuel pump. If I had to guess I'd say I'd put down atleast 360whp possibly more and around 630lb-ft of torque if I dynoed now, I should dyno again. The torque is just insane though.
I have a meth kit and Intercooler I need to install too but I'm procrastinating hah. That would probably put me over 400whp and maybe close to 700lb-ft . From there I could squeeze some more power from dual fuel pumps but I think I need to enjoy it as is for awhile. What really amazes me is how well these e90 handle with the right suspension mods. I bet your e90 and mine would be a good race though

I love that my x5d and 335d share the same engine though! definitely makes modifying easy. But I think your n55 and n54 modifications are a bit easier to perform than on my m57... my hands are usually black for a few days after I work on them with lots of cuts lol.
      05-25-2020, 12:33 AM   #48
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Ok great! Might possibly upgrade my sound system once I see yours if it’s not all that difficult/costly. I didn’t even know there were D pillar speakers, I don’t believe I have those. The under seat subwoofers are the ones under the front seats?

I don’t think they’re a big deal around here. I see them all the time and rarely hear of people getting in trouble for them, probably going the cheap route if I get some.
I’ve seen 1 or maybe 2 thread on the conversion that are very vague. I’ll definitely post it all up with what’s needed to make it work once I’m done!

Yes exactly! The e90 is fun and fast, don’t get me wrong. Bu there’s a lot of fast cars out there. The idea of having a fast suv to keep up/pass modified cars sounds good to me.

The stock m sport bumper looks real nice, and I like the center grill it has, but the x5m quad exhaust tips sell me on the it.
Here’s the x5m bumper. I couldn’t find it new aftermarket, only used, which requires more work to paint than new ones do. Finally found it the other day!

https://www.discountbodyparts.com/ca...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Price with shipping is fair. It is listed as x5m, not x5m e70 style. Another question that will come up is, will it fit with the stock bumper upper sidewalls on the quarter panel? We can discuss that later. Haha.

Those numbers are impressive! What are you using to tune it with?
The torque difference between the diesel and n54 is crazy too.
My 335i made 383 whp and 433wtq. Stock fuel pump, intakes, dowpipes with jb4 and e30 blend. While on the dyno, the guy saw I had my jb4 set up to backend flash mode so it wasn’t running right. Put it on the right setting and it made those numbers but the jb4 didn’t have enough time to adapt so I was like at 14/15 psi.

I’d like to think I’ll make somewhere around 420 whp next time around. Bigger inter cooler. 450 fuel pump and I just did the valve cleaning a while ago too.

You’re right, it would be a good race.

Haha I feel you on that! Dirty hands for a few days after getting into tight spots.
I’ve seen the m57 engine bay and it dos look more crowded than the n54. Hoping the n55 isn’t as tight!

M sport
X5m
Attached Images

Last edited by Serf27; 05-25-2020 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 08:13 AM   #49
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

The wiring was simple, two 9 wires run from the front to the trunk. As for expensive I kind of lost track lol, but it could be done on a budget. Also I'm sure you can make a harness, but I spliced... I mean hey, who would of wanted the base system intact anyways lol. The D-pillars aren't necessarily needed but I had so many channels to play with on my dsp that I thought why not. And yes under the front seats, they're 6.5" woofers : not 8" woofers like the higher systems.

Sweet! I definitely will need some paint work done so I might pull the trigger on the conversion when I do it.

Yeah quad tips are worth it lol. So much more aggressive. The x5 is definitely more utility styled, which doesn't look bad, but isn't aggressive at all either. The fitment is definitely in question though with that wide rear end

Definitely impressive. I want to get a dynojet run in though soon and see how much I'm really making now. My tuner is BRR, he's the mastermind behind it all. We have to benchflash our DDEs so I send it to him and have and extra DDE for no downtime. The cool thing is my 335d and x5d have the same DDE. The m57 will most likely be pushing some super car territory numbers with his help soon. And yes the torque is insane, people say oh the torque doesn't do anything but then you get a couple car lengths on them off the jump and they don't catch up, then they realize they were wrong haha.

The n54s are still torque monsters too. You don't see many gas engines putting down that much more torque than hp, but n54s are twin turbo? It is funny how these engines adapt! I'd get my tune and a few days of driving later it seemed faster. What psi do you normally run? My stock turbos put out around 40psi, but diesel are different. I know there's such thing as too much boost in on a gas engine.

That would be crazy, I'd bet the torque would be over 500 too. I love how much power these cars can make with pretty basic mods.

I've played with some e90 and e92 335is but I don't think they were nearly as modded as you are, it would be interesting though

My 335ds engine bay is tight, but the x5d is way nicer to work on. But they still suck, lots of hidden bolts lol
      05-26-2020, 12:09 AM   #50
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Might have to do what you’re doing for the sound system. The d pillar speakers look nice back there, main reason I’d want them. Did you order d pillar speaker covers?
I checked mine and I don’t have the tweeters on the a pillar. Not to toot my horn, but as well optioned as this x5 is I’m very surprised the person who ordered it cheaped out on the audio system.

If you plan the keep the car for a while, I think definitely go x5m bumper and upgraded halo rings, if you’re up splitting open the lights.

That rear bumper is going to cause me some stress for a few days. My rear bumper could use some paint but it’s fine. I’ll debate between the bumper or jb4 when the time comes.

Yea the n54 is twin turbo stock. Some go single turbo, but most go upgraded twin turbos. I’m most likely going upgraded twin turbos. The plug and play kit single turbo is near $5k! Upgraded twins rated at 700whp would cost about half of that. When I’m on the gas it peaks around 18-19 psi. Once I get the bigger intercooler installed and the stage 2 pump to run more e85, I might turn the boost up. After the mhd Bef, I haven’t had any boost issues.
I too was surprised at the torque it made! I’m sure it would brake 500wtq next time around.

With my current mods, I give my buddy’s m4 with a tune a run for its money. It really comes down to our launches.
Who know, maybe one day we will meet up at a red light. Haha.

Hidden bolts are the devils work man. The infamous e90 fender bolt behind the fender liner is the worst!

Checked out the new e70 lights today when it got dark.
The aftermarket light has a flat cut off line at the top of the beam, which I like. It doesn’t shine as far as the oem one though. Wonder if I can increase the voltage like on the e90.

Was also able to try out the headlight on auto.
The self leveling does work on the “pre LCI” light but the adaptive feature doesn’t. The adaptive feature doesn’t work on my oem light either. I had the car parked and in drive and neither light turned with the wheel. Hoping it’s just faulty adaptive modules. I have a few spare e90 modules that I will try to plug in. If they don’t fit, I’ll order some replacements to at least give the adaptive module feature a shot.

If the headlights self level, that means the mechanical part of the light is work right? Since it moves up and down.

Here’s some pics.
Angel eyes
Low beam (left is oem, right is aftermarket)
High beam (left is oem, right is aftermarket)
E90 & e70
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 12:08 PM   #51
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Might have to do what you're doing for the sound system. The d pillar speakers look nice back there, main reason I'd want them. Did you order d pillar speaker covers?
I checked mine and I don't have the tweeters on the a pillar. Not to toot my horn, but as well optioned as this x5 is I'm very surprised the person who ordered it cheaped out on the audio system.

If you plan the keep the car for a while, I think definitely go x5m bumper and upgraded halo rings, if you're up splitting open the lights.

That rear bumper is going to cause me some stress for a few days. My rear bumper could use some paint but it's fine. I'll debate between the bumper or jb4 when the time comes.

Yea the n54 is twin turbo stock. Some go single turbo, but most go upgraded twin turbos. I'm most likely going upgraded twin turbos. The plug and play kit single turbo is near $5k! Upgraded twins rated at 700whp would cost about half of that. When I'm on the gas it peaks around 18-19 psi. Once I get the bigger intercooler installed and the stage 2 pump to run more e85, I might turn the boost up. After the mhd Bef, I haven't had any boost issues.
I too was surprised at the torque it made! I'm sure it would brake 500wtq next time around.

With my current mods, I give my buddy's m4 with a tune a run for its money. It really comes down to our launches.
Who know, maybe one day we will meet up at a red light. Haha.

Hidden bolts are the devils work man. The infamous e90 fender bolt behind the fender liner is the worst!

Checked out the new e70 lights today when it got dark.
The aftermarket light has a flat cut off line at the top of the beam, which I like. It doesn't shine as far as the oem one though. Wonder if I can increase the voltage like on the e90.

Was also able to try out the headlight on auto.
The self leveling does work on the "pre LCI" light but the adaptive feature doesn't. The adaptive feature doesn't work on my oem light either. I had the car parked and in drive and neither light turned with the wheel. Hoping it's just faulty adaptive modules. I have a few spare e90 modules that I will try to plug in. If they don't fit, I'll order some replacements to at least give the adaptive module feature a shot.

If the headlights self level, that means the mechanical part of the light is work right? Since it moves up and down.

Here's some pics.
Angel eyes
Low beam (left is oem, right is aftermarket)
High beam (left is oem, right is aftermarket)
E90 & e70
I bought some d-pillar covers with the grille off ebay. Yeah the difference from stock is night and day. It's not that the stock is bad its just severely under powered and the factory eq sucks. The dsp is by far the biggest contributor to the sound though. It's expensive but so worth it.

I plan on running it into the ground lol. It's my baby. My mod process puts big appearance mods usually last though. I want to unleash the power in my x5d first.

The rear bumper would be a nice touch. I love quad tips. But power is always nice

Whew that's pricey! But they do sound incredible single turbo. 700hp for half the price and probably less lag sounds just as good though. I think with dual fuel pumps and a hybrid LP turbo and meth I'd get close to 700hp for around the same money. Oh and torque possibly close to or over 1000 lb-ft I think I should do an lsd first though because I want to track my 335d too.

That's impressive. I haven't gone up against any m3 or m4, I know it would win but I'd bet I'd keep up too, but I'm trying to get a buddy with a 2020 392 scatpack to line up. He thinks it would be a blow out but I walk 5.7 chargers no problem even with a shit launch. I'd bet I'd surprise him though. And yeah maybe one day!

I have my trust Milwaukee right angle impact to save me most of the time lol.

Lights look really good and that beam pattern looks good too! Have you aimed the headlights yet? I know on my e90 with the self leveling I've had to re aim it once before. Those halos are bright too!

So you're adaptive feature I think has like a link from the headlight to the steering, that may be disconnected. Or maybe a bad module.
      05-26-2020, 12:48 PM   #52
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I bought some d-pillar covers with the grille off ebay. Yeah the difference from stock is night and day. It's not that the stock is bad its just severely under powered and the factory eq sucks. The dsp is by far the biggest contributor to the sound though. It's expensive but so worth it.

I plan on running it into the ground lol. It's my baby. My mod process puts big appearance mods usually last though. I want to unleash the power in my x5d first.

The rear bumper would be a nice touch. I love quad tips. But power is always nice

Whew that's pricey! But they do sound incredible single turbo. 700hp for half the price and probably less lag sounds just as good though. I think with dual fuel pumps and a hybrid LP turbo and meth I'd get close to 700hp for around the same money. Oh and torque possibly close to or over 1000 lb-ft I think I should do an lsd first though because I want to track my 335d too.

That's impressive. I haven't gone up against any m3 or m4, I know it would win but I'd bet I'd keep up too, but I'm trying to get a buddy with a 2020 392 scatpack to line up. He thinks it would be a blow out but I walk 5.7 chargers no problem even with a shit launch. I'd bet I'd surprise him though. And yeah maybe one day!

I have my trust Milwaukee right angle impact to save me most of the time lol.

Lights look really good and that beam pattern looks good too! Have you aimed the headlights yet? I know on my e90 with the self leveling I've had to re aim it once before. Those halos are bright too!

So you're adaptive feature I think has like a link from the headlight to the steering, that may be disconnected. Or maybe a bad module.
Yea the stock seems ok but could be better.

I’ll probably end up getting the jb4 first

Does the 335d share the same trans as the 335i?
I know the 335i can only handle about 550whp with a bigger trans cooler. After that it’s expensive transmission builds. 1000torque is insane!
Yea an lsd would be real good for the track.
Haven’t really gone out to look for anyone to race. There was this big car meet this past weekend near me. I guess my buddies m4 was beating hellcats. If I get him at times, and he gets hellcats, safe to say I’d take the hellcat? Lol

The left driver headlight is still the oem xenon projector. Only the right one is the aftermarket. You can see the left oem light travels farther than the light on the right side.

I haven’t aimed the headlights. Same thing and aligning them?
I’ll look into it and see if I can adjust the light beam upwards. That seems to be the issue from the photos. The light is aimed too low.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 02:36 PM   #53
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yea the stock seems ok but could be better.

I'll probably end up getting the jb4 first

Does the 335d share the same trans as the 335i?
I know the 335i can only handle about 550whp with a bigger trans cooler. After that it's expensive transmission builds. 1000torque is insane!
Yea an lsd would be real good for the track.
Haven't really gone out to look for anyone to race. There was this big car meet this past weekend near me. I guess my buddies m4 was beating hellcats. If I get him at times, and he gets hellcats, safe to say I'd take the hellcat? Lol

The left driver headlight is still the oem xenon projector. Only the right one is the aftermarket. You can see the left oem light travels farther than the light on the right side.

I haven't aimed the headlights. Same thing and aligning them?
I'll look into it and see if I can adjust the light beam upwards. That seems to be the issue from the photos. The light is aimed too low.
Yes if you have the zf6! Mine is stage 3 tuned xhp. Check this out:

These transmissions are pretty damn stout and can take some torque. I try not to launch too much, I'd rather roll race. But lots of 335ds putting down crazy torque with stock trans.

I think lsd needs to be next. This car just gets so flustered in the corners. Plus I wanna mess around and the car is not predictable at all.

Was it a manual hellcat? I know manuals don't stand much of a chance even with big power. The zf6 shifts really fast when tuned too. Also them hellcats are tedious to launch. If that was an auto that's impressive. For some reason dodges make all this power but they don't always put it to the ground :I have to feather 2nd too though, which is what I launch in, but after that it hooks very nicely with the nitto nt555 g2s I have on it now. I'm hoping to get my 335d to a drag strip this summer so I can see what I'm running for 1/4 mile.

Yeah I think you should have an adjustment screw on the headlight housing somewhere. Then you park on a flat surface 20 or 25 feet from a wall, measure from ground to the projector, take that measurement and mark it on the wall with tape, then bring the cutoff to the mark on the wall. The new headlights actually look like they have a sharper cutoff too which is sweet! I'm jealous man!

Also does your x5 have the parking sensors for the 360 camera? And does the bumper have the spots for it?
      05-26-2020, 11:58 PM   #54
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes if you have the zf6! Mine is stage 3 tuned xhp. Check this out:

These transmissions are pretty damn stout and can take some torque. I try not to launch too much, I'd rather roll race. But lots of 335ds putting down crazy torque with stock trans.

I think lsd needs to be next. This car just gets so flustered in the corners. Plus I wanna mess around and the car is not predictable at all.

Was it a manual hellcat? I know manuals don't stand much of a chance even with big power. The zf6 shifts really fast when tuned too. Also them hellcats are tedious to launch. If that was an auto that's impressive. For some reason dodges make all this power but they don't always put it to the ground :I have to feather 2nd too though, which is what I launch in, but after that it hooks very nicely with the nitto nt555 g2s I have on it now. I'm hoping to get my 335d to a drag strip this summer so I can see what I'm running for 1/4 mile.

Yeah I think you should have an adjustment screw on the headlight housing somewhere. Then you park on a flat surface 20 or 25 feet from a wall, measure from ground to the projector, take that measurement and mark it on the wall with tape, then bring the cutoff to the mark on the wall. The new headlights actually look like they have a sharper cutoff too which is sweet! I'm jealous man!

Also does your x5 have the parking sensors for the 360 camera? And does the bumper have the spots for it?
I have the 6hp19 in the e90 and being it’s a 2007, it can’t support stage 3 xhp flash that’s on my to do list.
That’s crazy! Do you know if that’s whp or at the crank?
From what I’ve read, the stock turbos max out near 500 whp and the trans encounters heating issues. A bigger trans cooler and bigger turbos/single would make it last longer. The other day I saw a post where the guy would break input shafts in first or second gear with I think 600-650 whp?

If I could get 600whp on bigger twins and stock trans with cooler, I’d be happy! Lol

There’s a diy lsd kit for about $240, have you seen it? Also on my to do list.
I’d mainly want it for wheel spin off the line.

I have no clue. I also have no clue if he’s telling the truth
Had I had my intercooler and stage 2 pump, I would’ve been there!
How’s the xhp tune on your trans going? If I could get stage 3 tune, I’d do it. I’ve read the simple stage 2 isn’t worth it.
I might have to look into those nittos. My tires are spinning all through second now a days.

Thanks for the adjustment tip, I’ll definitely do that once it’s all together. I do like the flat cut off line too. Saw a thread where a guy took his whole light apart to achieve that. I think it’s time for you to pull the trigger on a pair.

Yes, I meant to post it the other day but it slipped my mind. My x5 has both side view cameras and parking sensors. The bumper has the provisions for the parking sensors but not for the cameras. I’m going to have to cut the hole out for those.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #55
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

I think my 335d has either the 6hp28 or 6hp26. From what I hear, the updated version is very stout and shifts damn quick.

That is whp. But also 100% injectors, .93 shot of nitrous, and dual fuel pumps. Since then they've detuned to just dual pumps and are probably putting down close to 450whp with just that setup. But the crazy thing is they're making a triple turbo setup now so I can't wait to see those numbers.

I wonder if rpm has a play in the transmission issues. My limiter is at about 5k but I usually only rev that high in 2nd, after that I'm shifting around 4.5k.

Do you have a link to that lsd kit? I think my diff is that lousy welded pinion gear one, which makes things more difficult. Any options I've seen are like 3-4k lol. I can get pretty good launches and I seems to split power 50/50, but for me it's taking a corner at high speed and feeling the inside rear tire spin which makes it squirrely and unpredictable.

Right. I always take what people say with a grain of salt. Not that they're wrong, but every has their own opinion.

Are you waiting on something to install your intercooler or pump?

I run both the stage 3 tune on both my x5d and 335d and I also have the customization license so I can further tweak the tune. But yes I think it's worth it. The best way to describe my stock tune was sloppy shifts, loose, and slow shifting or delayed. After my the tune and with tweaks I made it's tight, firm on shifts, and nearly as quick as a dct. I drive strictly in m-mode though so the changes in that mode are the most severe.

The Nittos are fantastic! My 335d could spin all of 2nd if I don't feather it once the torque bites. And at a really good price too. I'm almost thinking I may go with the nt05r in the rear when I burn through these nt55g2s, which btw have aged very well for how I drive lol. My car likes to eat tires.

You got it I think those headlights are in my near future. The output is surprisingly good if not better. As for the bumper I think I still need to figure out a good solution for fog lights because they're much needed in Maine. I was looking at this lip kit and I think that might be a nice way to give a more aggressive look while retaining factory fogs. What do you think? I would likely not use the side lip they provide just front and rear.

https://www.ikonmotorsports.com/11-1...-urethane.html

Not as nice as the x5m style but also better than the stock look.

Okay that's good news. I think my camera is built in the reflector on the front? Is that where yours is?
      05-27-2020, 10:23 PM   #56
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I think my 335d has either the 6hp28 or 6hp26. From what I hear, the updated version is very stout and shifts damn quick.

That is whp. But also 100% injectors, .93 shot of nitrous, and dual fuel pumps. Since then they've detuned to just dual pumps and are probably putting down close to 450whp with just that setup. But the crazy thing is they're making a triple turbo setup now so I can't wait to see those numbers.

I wonder if rpm has a play in the transmission issues. My limiter is at about 5k but I usually only rev that high in 2nd, after that I'm shifting around 4.5k.

Do you have a link to that lsd kit? I think my diff is that lousy welded pinion gear one, which makes things more difficult. Any options I've seen are like 3-4k lol. I can get pretty good launches and I seems to split power 50/50, but for me it's taking a corner at high speed and feeling the inside rear tire spin which makes it squirrely and unpredictable.

Right. I always take what people say with a grain of salt. Not that they're wrong, but every has their own opinion.

Are you waiting on something to install your intercooler or pump?

I run both the stage 3 tune on both my x5d and 335d and I also have the customization license so I can further tweak the tune. But yes I think it's worth it. The best way to describe my stock tune was sloppy shifts, loose, and slow shifting or delayed. After my the tune and with tweaks I made it's tight, firm on shifts, and nearly as quick as a dct. I drive strictly in m-mode though so the changes in that mode are the most severe.

The Nittos are fantastic! My 335d could spin all of 2nd if I don't feather it once the torque bites. And at a really good price too. I'm almost thinking I may go with the nt05r in the rear when I burn through these nt55g2s, which btw have aged very well for how I drive lol. My car likes to eat tires.

You got it I think those headlights are in my near future. The output is surprisingly good if not better. As for the bumper I think I still need to figure out a good solution for fog lights because they're much needed in Maine. I was looking at this lip kit and I think that might be a nice way to give a more aggressive look while retaining factory fogs. What do you think? I would likely not use the side lip they provide just front and rear.

https://www.ikonmotorsports.com/11-1...-urethane.html

Not as nice as the x5m style but also better than the stock look.

Okay that's good news. I think my camera is built in the reflector on the front? Is that where yours is?
Ahh good ol nitrous lol!
I wonder how long the trans could withstand that amount of power.
Triple turbo sounds insane. Should be a good build!

Might possibly be rpm related if it’s causing heating issues and making the trans go out. I believe the input shafts start breaking due to the amount of torque in the first 2 gears. I just found a kit last week that strengthens the auto trans. $1500 for it I believe.

This is the lsd kit. It doesn’t say e90, so I’m not sure if it fits. I know there is/was one for the e90.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264498963829
My buddy installed it on his, but he has an xi so it made it hard to tell a difference off the line. There’s a review and install on YouTube about it. From the video and what my buddy said, the kit will not hold if you try to drift/do donuts but it’ll hold around corners and launching(from the video)
It’s not that it’s his opinion, but when it comes to races where none of us are around, the friend with the m4 suddenly starts beating everybody. So hard to believe when he says he beat this and that.

Nothing really besides time. During serious quarantine last month I caught up on the e90 with parts I had sitting around waiting for install. The pump was going to be installed and come to find out I didn’t have the filter for it!! By the time the filter arrived, I started to get back into the work grove so it just sat back in the shelf. The intercooler is not n54 specific so I have to weld some tabs on the top and figure out what angle couplers I need, but no time to do it. And get this, I also have a trans cooler sitting there that I have to install too.

Nice, the stock trans shifts in m mode feel slow. One day I’ll do the trans swap and get stage 3 xhp. I need to look into what else I can do for now.
All I want is DCT like shifts haha.
I also always drive in M mode! My trans is fine in auto (for the normal person) but I cannot stand it’s shift points. Always in M using the paddles. 1/10 trips I’ll leave it in auto. DS mode is never used.
I’d only want the trans flash for M mode purposes only. Auto and DS can stay the way they are haha.
How did you go about figuring the best tweaks to make? I’d be worried about changing settings I shouldn’t be.
How are you trans temps after running the car hard?

I got some Pirelli P zero Nero last year. They were pretty good. Now my tears have faded away and the fronts are still fine. Next decision, order matching tears or go with a whole different tire?! I don’t like having mismatched tires

Don’t worry! I will find a solution to this x5m bumper/fog light ordeal. I also want to retain them and there’s a lot of space behind the grill area.
That lip kit does look good. Adds some much needed aggressiveness to the bumpers.

My camera sits above the reflector on the outside too. But I didn’t look at the back to see if they were 2 pieces or a single piece. I’ll have to cut the side marker up if they are 2 pieces.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 08:15 AM   #57
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Ahh good ol nitrous lol!
I wonder how long the trans could withstand that amount of power.
Triple turbo sounds insane. Should be a good build!

Might possibly be rpm related if it's causing heating issues and making the trans go out. I believe the input shafts start breaking due to the amount of torque in the first 2 gears. I just found a kit last week that strengthens the auto trans. $1500 for it I believe.

This is the lsd kit. It doesn't say e90, so I'm not sure if it fits. I know there is/was one for the e90.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264498963829
My buddy installed it on his, but he has an xi so it made it hard to tell a difference off the line. There's a review and install on YouTube about it. From the video and what my buddy said, the kit will not hold if you try to drift/do donuts but it'll hold around corners and launching(from the video)
It's not that it's his opinion, but when it comes to races where none of us are around, the friend with the m4 suddenly starts beating everybody. So hard to believe when he says he beat this and that.

Nothing really besides time. During serious quarantine last month I caught up on the e90 with parts I had sitting around waiting for install. The pump was going to be installed and come to find out I didn't have the filter for it!! By the time the filter arrived, I started to get back into the work grove so it just sat back in the shelf. The intercooler is not n54 specific so I have to weld some tabs on the top and figure out what angle couplers I need, but no time to do it. And get this, I also have a trans cooler sitting there that I have to install too.

Nice, the stock trans shifts in m mode feel slow. One day I'll do the trans swap and get stage 3 xhp. I need to look into what else I can do for now.
All I want is DCT like shifts haha.
I also always drive in M mode! My trans is fine in auto (for the normal person) but I cannot stand it's shift points. Always in M using the paddles. 1/10 trips I'll leave it in auto. DS mode is never used.
I'd only want the trans flash for M mode purposes only. Auto and DS can stay the way they are haha.
How did you go about figuring the best tweaks to make? I'd be worried about changing settings I shouldn't be.
How are you trans temps after running the car hard?

I got some Pirelli P zero Nero last year. They were pretty good. Now my tears have faded away and the fronts are still fine. Next decision, order matching tears or go with a whole different tire?! I don't like having mismatched tires

Don't worry! I will find a solution to this x5m bumper/fog light ordeal. I also want to retain them and there's a lot of space behind the grill area.
That lip kit does look good. Adds some much needed aggressiveness to the bumpers.

My camera sits above the reflector on the outside too. But I didn't look at the back to see if they were 2 pieces or a single piece. I'll have to cut the side marker up if they are 2 pieces.
Probably not long lol. But they did a bunch of 1/4 and 1/8 mile passes and it survived longer than thought.

I'm not sure if that lsd kit would work with my 335d. I think we got a different rear end than the 335i. That's a shame. This car could really use one.

Haha I get that. Most of the time I could careless if I win, I just like to race. I can still see a manual hellcat getting beat by a m4 with the dct though. Especially if the hellcat driver isn't good.

Sounds like a few big jobs! I wanted to get my x5d intercooler in too but I've been getting back to work too, even though Maine is still mostly closed down
I got a bunch of things done though, always nice when you can get things done! Sometimes I feel like I make this big mod list and I procrastinate because I don't know where to start!

You'll get pretty much dct shifts you won't get that dct sounds though. Yeah m-mode is the only mode I use. It just drives how I want it too. I only used D-mode to tweak the shift points for if someone else drives my car. And DS is pretty useless I detuned that because it's way to aggressive and revvy. And I've never actually checked trans temp. There was a guy from europe I think that had some overheating issues but he was competitively tracking his 335d. I don't think trans overheating is a known issue with my 335d.

As for tweaking hxp has a whole list of things you can change d-mode & s-mode shift points, max rpm/wot shift points in all modes, toggle kickdown, change aggressiveness of throttle blip and shift firmness, stay in 2nd at standstill in m-mode, toggle gear display, and lockout 6th in s-mode. In my x5d my DS-mode is configured as a "tow haul" mode instead, and d-mode is gf mode .

So my 335d I payed like around $600 for all 4 tires. And they have been wearing very well. I'm thinking I'll get two summers out of them in the rear atleast... which is pretty good considering how I drive it.

If you figured something out for fogs that bumper would be a no brainer for me I think I may pull the trigger on that lip kit and those headlights though maybe fairly soon since I want to get my intercooler in and that bumper needs to come off anyways, might as well do it while I'm in there right? Then if I get the x5m style bumper I'll be able to keep the rear lip kit in so it looks a bit more aggressive

Yeah I'm pretty sure it pops out. Have a a painted reflector I haven't installed yet and it is two pieces.
      05-28-2020, 12:19 PM   #58
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Probably not long lol. But they did a bunch of 1/4 and 1/8 mile passes and it survived longer than thought.

I'm not sure if that lsd kit would work with my 335d. I think we got a different rear end than the 335i. That's a shame. This car could really use one.

Haha I get that. Most of the time I could careless if I win, I just like to race. I can still see a manual hellcat getting beat by a m4 with the dct though. Especially if the hellcat driver isn't good.

Sounds like a few big jobs! I wanted to get my x5d intercooler in too but I've been getting back to work too, even though Maine is still mostly closed down
I got a bunch of things done though, always nice when you can get things done! Sometimes I feel like I make this big mod list and I procrastinate because I don't know where to start!

You'll get pretty much dct shifts you won't get that dct sounds though. Yeah m-mode is the only mode I use. It just drives how I want it too. I only used D-mode to tweak the shift points for if someone else drives my car. And DS is pretty useless I detuned that because it's way to aggressive and revvy. And I've never actually checked trans temp. There was a guy from europe I think that had some overheating issues but he was competitively tracking his 335d. I don't think trans overheating is a known issue with my 335d.

As for tweaking hxp has a whole list of things you can change d-mode & s-mode shift points, max rpm/wot shift points in all modes, toggle kickdown, change aggressiveness of throttle blip and shift firmness, stay in 2nd at standstill in m-mode, toggle gear display, and lockout 6th in s-mode. In my x5d my DS-mode is configured as a "tow haul" mode instead, and d-mode is gf mode .

So my 335d I payed like around $600 for all 4 tires. And they have been wearing very well. I'm thinking I'll get two summers out of them in the rear atleast... which is pretty good considering how I drive it.

If you figured something out for fogs that bumper would be a no brainer for me I think I may pull the trigger on that lip kit and those headlights though maybe fairly soon since I want to get my intercooler in and that bumper needs to come off anyways, might as well do it while I'm in there right? Then if I get the x5m style bumper I'll be able to keep the rear lip kit in so it looks a bit more aggressive

Yeah I'm pretty sure it pops out. Have a a painted reflector I haven't installed yet and it is two pieces.
Here’s the actual e90 kit. Description reads no more 1 wheel spins off launch and no more sloppy rear end around corner. 335d is listed as applicable

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264499343198

Haha I get you on not knowing where to start on the long list! This X5 is going to end up with parts just sitting in the trunk
What intercooler did you get for it?

Hmm I’ve only seen a few posts regarding the trans heating issue.
I guess it depends on the condition of the trans. I saw a thread where an n54 made 500+ hp and the trans blew on the dyno. Other posts don’t mention blowing the trans.
Yea I agree, DS mode is useless.
The DCT like shifts should help a lot running against these newer cars that have an actual DCT.

What do you mean by stay in 2nd at stand still and block out 6th gear?
Does your X5 have paddle shifters? Shifting the e91 using the gear selector is very annoying so I always leave that in drive. The paddles on the e90 make it much easier to shift in m mode. My X5 doesn’t have paddles I’ll have to retrofit those on. Not bad for the tires. What size are they?

Taking the bumper off wasn’t all that difficult. I thought it would be worse than the e90 but it’s actually easier!
The rear lip kit will still look good back there. Are you on the stock exhaust system?

Ok. So all that’s needed is to carefully cut identical holes on each side to mount the cameras. Going to be fun lol.

Eyelids finally came in. They look pretty good. I just sat them on the light to see how they’d look. I think with double sided tape, they will sit flush all around. You can BARELY see the white eyelid from the headlight showing at the bottom.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 01:19 PM   #59
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Love the CF eyelids... have them on my TSM 08 as well.
Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 07:55 PM   #60
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Here's the actual e90 kit. Description reads no more 1 wheel spins off launch and no more sloppy rear end around corner. 335d is listed as applicable

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264499343198

Haha I get you on not knowing where to start on the long list! This X5 is going to end up with parts just sitting in the trunk
What intercooler did you get for it?

Hmm I've only seen a few posts regarding the trans heating issue.
I guess it depends on the condition of the trans. I saw a thread where an n54 made 500+ hp and the trans blew on the dyno. Other posts don't mention blowing the trans.
Yea I agree, DS mode is useless.
The DCT like shifts should help a lot running against these newer cars that have an actual DCT.

What do you mean by stay in 2nd at stand still and block out 6th gear?
Does your X5 have paddle shifters? Shifting the e91 using the gear selector is very annoying so I always leave that in drive. The paddles on the e90 make it much easier to shift in m mode. My X5 doesn't have paddles I'll have to retrofit those on. Not bad for the tires. What size are they?

Taking the bumper off wasn't all that difficult. I thought it would be worse than the e90 but it's actually easier!
The rear lip kit will still look good back there. Are you on the stock exhaust system?

Ok. So all that's needed is to carefully cut identical holes on each side to mount the cameras. Going to be fun lol.

Eyelids finally came in. They look pretty good. I just sat them on the light to see how they'd look. I think with double sided tape, they will sit flush all around. You can BARELY see the white eyelid from the headlight showing at the bottom.

I'll check that out! My 335d is on the back burner right now though. I'm trying to get my x5 to a point where I think it should be. The intercooler is for the x5, it's a atm intercooler, about double the size lol. I have one for my 335d too, not really sure the brand, but that one is even bigger, with some really nice custom aluminum piping.

Yeah like I say, could be the difference between the diesel or gas. I'm very impressed by this trans and how well it shifts. The guy who dynoed my car made a comment about if it was a dct or not. Just a really good auto! I wish we got the zf8 in these that trans is really amazing, I had it on a x3 m340i loaner I got and loved it... and the pops

The 2nd at standstill just prevents the trans from downshifting into 1st, which is useless and revs super fast. I always start in 2nd, launching or normally driving. That's the nice thing about the torque. The 6th gear lock out prevents my car from shifting into 6th, mostly used in DS-mode. I don't use that. And no paddle shifters on either my bimmers :. Not a huge deal for me though.

My 335d is just 225 front, 255 rear. I want more meat in the rear, maybe 275, but maybe next set I'll experiment more. 225 is more than enough in the front, I don't think I'll go any bigger cause the steering is very heavy as is.

That's good news! I should be finishing up my audio system shortly so I think my next project will be lights, painted reflectors in front, intercooler, and lip kit. So I'll be probably ripping my bumper off very shortly

Are they're not any spots for cameras on the bumper?

I actually really like those. Normally not a huge fan on the eyelids but they don't look bad at all! The carbon fiber is very nice and like you say covers the white eyelid perfectly.
      05-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #61
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'll check that out! My 335d is on the back burner right now though. I'm trying to get my x5 to a point where I think it should be. The intercooler is for the x5, it's a atm intercooler, about double the size lol. I have one for my 335d too, not really sure the brand, but that one is even bigger, with some really nice custom aluminum piping.

Yeah like I say, could be the difference between the diesel or gas. I'm very impressed by this trans and how well it shifts. The guy who dynoed my car made a comment about if it was a dct or not. Just a really good auto! I wish we got the zf8 in these that trans is really amazing, I had it on a x3 m340i loaner I got and loved it... and the pops

The 2nd at standstill just prevents the trans from downshifting into 1st, which is useless and revs super fast. I always start in 2nd, launching or normally driving. That's the nice thing about the torque. The 6th gear lock out prevents my car from shifting into 6th, mostly used in DS-mode. I don't use that. And no paddle shifters on either my bimmers :. Not a huge deal for me though.

My 335d is just 225 front, 255 rear. I want more meat in the rear, maybe 275, but maybe next set I'll experiment more. 225 is more than enough in the front, I don't think I'll go any bigger cause the steering is very heavy as is.

That's good news! I should be finishing up my audio system shortly so I think my next project will be lights, painted reflectors in front, intercooler, and lip kit. So I'll be probably ripping my bumper off very shortly

Are they're not any spots for cameras on the bumper?

I actually really like those. Normally not a huge fan on the eyelids but they don't look bad at all! The carbon fiber is very nice and like you say covers the white eyelid perfectly.
Ha! My e90’s middle name is actually back burner. Yikes that atm intercooler is pricey. I might go with vrsf for the x5.

Yea, it’s looking like the trans issue is hit or miss. I was over here worried about it being a big deal lol.

So the second gear stand still is like preventing kick down if you punch it?
I agree, first revs fast and I have 0 traction in first.
What is the purpose of locking out 6th gear?
The paddles are great for it. Especially since the e90 broke a wire in the shifting assembly which prevents me from downshifting now. Have to fix that sometime

I run 265 in the rear and 225 in the front. I want to go up to 275 but the offset on my wheels probably won’t allow it.
If you can, I’d go 275! Looks nice back there.

The only part that took some time was the pop rivets for the fender flares.
No, the bumper has so spots on the outside, but the inside may have a marking showing where to cut for the camera. I’ll check it out today.

Thanks! I wasn’t sure how they would look. I thought they were going to be they fake carbon fiber style print but surprisingly they look good and are real.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:49 PM   #62
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Well these fog lights finally came in.
They’re a lot smaller than I thought.
The halo ring is a bright blue which doesn’t match the halos on the headlights.
The led looks brights.
What do you think?!
What would you call the light color of the headlight halos? Ice white?
Not sure how I feel about them. The halo color, actual fog light output and the size.
Attached Images

Last edited by Serf27; 05-29-2020 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #63
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Ha! My e90's middle name is actually back burner. Yikes that atm intercooler is pricey. I might go with vrsf for the x5.

Yea, it's looking like the trans issue is hit or miss. I was over here worried about it being a big deal lol.

So the second gear stand still is like preventing kick down if you punch it?
I agree, first revs fast and I have 0 traction in first.
What is the purpose of locking out 6th gear?
The paddles are great for it. Especially since the e90 broke a wire in the shifting assembly which prevents me from downshifting now. Have to fix that sometime

I run 265 in the rear and 225 in the front. I want to go up to 275 but the offset on my wheels probably won't allow it.
If you can, I'd go 275! Looks nice back there.

The only part that took some time was the pop rivets for the fender flares.
No, the bumper has so spots on the outside, but the inside may have a marking showing where to cut for the camera. I'll check it out today.

Thanks! I wasn't sure how they would look. I thought they were going to be they fake carbon fiber style print but surprisingly they look good and are real.
Haha poor e90s. The atm is pricey and sadly it's the only intercooler available for my x5d, I got it on Black Friday though so for a good deal. It's pretty much needed on a deleted m57 sadly... bmw thought it was smart to use quick disconnect hoses, and while they're great to take off, they leak boost all the time. It doesn't help that these turbos push almost 40psi though. But I don't want to have to replace leaking seals cause I hear getting to the intercooler is a pain on my x5d so I only want to do it once!

I think making sure you keep up on service is the most important for these trans, if you do you'll get more life, if you don't you get failure.

Nope, just prevents the transmission from shifting down to first when you fully stop. Keeps it in 2nd instead. The kickdown, which is another setting, is what make your car down shift when you stomp on it. I don't like it though so mine is set to off. It's also important that it's off when you dyno or else it'll kickdown instead of letting you do a pull... my dyno shop had that issue at first, thankfully I could turn it off quickly with xhp though.

I'm not sure why you would lockout 6th other than to drive aggressively at high speed.

Maybe time to upgrade the shift knob on the e90 while you're in there? I've been looking at a new style shifter.

I might try it. But like you I might have too much offset. I think my rims are 18x10 et34, but I have spacers on it. I'll have to do some research, otherwise I'll go with 265 like you.

I have a special tool for those pop rivets. Atleast I think it'll work well! Hopefully they have a marking for the camera, cause getting those where they need to be is probably important for the 360 camera to look right.

Do the eyelids glue on or snap in?

Also to reply to the above post, I would call the halos on the headlights probably 5,000-5500k. The fog lights are nice! But would probably look better if they matched the headlight halo. They look pretty good mocked up right there too!
      05-29-2020, 11:08 PM   #64
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Haha poor e90s. The atm is pricey and sadly it's the only intercooler available for my x5d, I got it on Black Friday though so for a good deal. It's pretty much needed on a deleted m57 sadly... bmw thought it was smart to use quick disconnect hoses, and while they're great to take off, they leak boost all the time. It doesn't help that these turbos push almost 40psi though. But I don't want to have to replace leaking seals cause I hear getting to the intercooler is a pain on my x5d so I only want to do it once!

I think making sure you keep up on service is the most important for these trans, if you do you'll get more life, if you don't you get failure.

Nope, just prevents the transmission from shifting down to first when you fully stop. Keeps it in 2nd instead. The kickdown, which is another setting, is what make your car down shift when you stomp on it. I don't like it though so mine is set to off. It's also important that it's off when you dyno or else it'll kickdown instead of letting you do a pull... my dyno shop had that issue at first, thankfully I could turn it off quickly with xhp though.

I'm not sure why you would lockout 6th other than to drive aggressively at high speed.

Maybe time to upgrade the shift knob on the e90 while you're in there? I've been looking at a new style shifter.

I might try it. But like you I might have too much offset. I think my rims are 18x10 et34, but I have spacers on it. I'll have to do some research, otherwise I'll go with 265 like you.

I have a special tool for those pop rivets. Atleast I think it'll work well! Hopefully they have a marking for the camera, cause getting those where they need to be is probably important for the 360 camera to look right.

Do the eyelids glue on or snap in?

Also to reply to the above post, I would call the halos on the headlights probably 5,000-5500k. The fog lights are nice! But would probably look better if they matched the headlight halo. They look pretty good mocked up right there too!
Ahh gotcha. Hopefully the 35i has more options. The vrsf looks good.
The quick connect fittings are nice! I’ve never had issues on the connections, but at 40 psi, I’m sure it would expose any weak points. I feel like vendors use the quick connect fittings to up the price on us. intercoolers with standard fittings are much cheaper. Or maybe they do cost a lot more to make lol.

Yes, I’m thinking with maintenance and a cooler, the trans will be fine. I was making it a big deal based off 1 post I saw.

That’s odd, my trans never shifts down to 1st. Unless that’s a DS/x5 only thing. In my e90 on m mode, it just shifts and stays in 2nd. Pretty sure same thing in drive too. It has a SWEET looking M pedal cover that just so wraps around the pedal enough to prevent kick down.

I honestly don’t know when or if I’ll fix that broken wire to downshift with the gear selector.
Right now, the e90 has an M sport MT shift knob. Lol.
The stock one is ok. I don’t like the newer style knobs when there fitted to the e90.
The performance knob with Alcantara looks nice, but it’s about $100.
The on.y knob I’d spend +$100 would be this one.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395458
New they’re like $250, too much though for it.

If you delete your spacers, you might be able to go 275.
I have et20 in the front with the 225s and it was rubbing left and right when I was lowered. I raised it half an inch and still rub once in a while
Et24 in the reR with 265 and with some spacers it would rub, so I might not even be able to handle 275. I think you should be able to with no problem.

I was able to pop 1 rivet out and the rest I just pried out with a panel tool lol.
I was thinking of using plastic panel clips on install next time around?

The bumper has no marking for the cameras. I also check and the camera mounting point is on the actual side marker. will definitely be tricky now.

Ok thanks, I’m going mug to see if I can find some with a different color halo.

I did briefly mock them Up for testing/pics They’re so small compared to grill.

The halo color looks ok. The actual light output looks good too. Only issue is the size. They’re too small and look silly behind the huge grill.
The light has a ground for both halo/fog and then the halo/fog have their own power wires. I have no doubt that wiring these up to the stock connector on the harness would still keep the cornering lights.

Here’s some pics. Still have to properly mounted and what not.
Both halos
Low beam with fog light halo
Low beam with fog light and halo both on
Close up
Last one shows the light beam from the low beam headlight and the fog light.
Low beam headlight is the upper blue beam and the fog light is the lower yellow beam, pretty bright no!?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 08:04 AM   #65
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Ahh gotcha. Hopefully the 35i has more options. The vrsf looks good.
The quick connect fittings are nice! I've never had issues on the connections, but at 40 psi, I'm sure it would expose any weak points. I feel like vendors use the quick connect fittings to up the price on us. intercoolers with standard fittings are much cheaper. Or maybe they do cost a lot more to make lol.

Yes, I'm thinking with maintenance and a cooler, the trans will be fine. I was making it a big deal based off 1 post I saw.

That's odd, my trans never shifts down to 1st. Unless that's a DS/x5 only thing. In my e90 on m mode, it just shifts and stays in 2nd. Pretty sure same thing in drive too. It has a SWEET looking M pedal cover that just so wraps around the pedal enough to prevent kick down.

I honestly don't know when or if I'll fix that broken wire to downshift with the gear selector.
Right now, the e90 has an M sport MT shift knob. Lol.
The stock one is ok. I don't like the newer style knobs when there fitted to the e90.
The performance knob with Alcantara looks nice, but it's about $100.
The on.y knob I'd spend +$100 would be this one.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395458
New they're like $250, too much though for it.

If you delete your spacers, you might be able to go 275.
I have et20 in the front with the 225s and it was rubbing left and right when I was lowered. I raised it half an inch and still rub once in a while
Et24 in the reR with 265 and with some spacers it would rub, so I might not even be able to handle 275. I think you should be able to with no problem.

I was able to pop 1 rivet out and the rest I just pried out with a panel tool lol.
I was thinking of using plastic panel clips on install next time around?

The bumper has no marking for the cameras. I also check and the camera mounting point is on the actual side marker. will definitely be tricky now.

Ok thanks, I'm going mug to see if I can find some with a different color halo.

I did briefly mock them Up for testing/pics They're so small compared to grill.

The halo color looks ok. The actual light output looks good too. Only issue is the size. They're too small and look silly behind the huge grill.
The light has a ground for both halo/fog and then the halo/fog have their own power wires. I have no doubt that wiring these up to the stock connector on the harness would still keep the cornering lights.

Here's some pics. Still have to properly mounted and what not.
Both halos
Low beam with fog light halo
Low beam with fog light and halo both on
Close up
Last one shows the light beam from the low beam headlight and the fog light.
Low beam headlight is the upper blue beam and the fog light is the lower yellow beam, pretty bright no!?
I just like the standard clamp and boot connection, really no need for a quick disconnect, especially if we run into boost leak issues when the boost gets turned up! I would think you're 35i has more options, my x5d doesn't have much of an aftermarket... even my 335d has more options!!

Weird! I'm sure your e90 has a different tune than mine since I'm diesel. I think that setting only works in m-mode though. That's pretty sweet though! The kickdown is another useless thing for my car, especially since I have so much lowend torque available... It was eliminated though lol.

I like the look of that shift knob!

Yeah I'll have to plug in my specs on willtheyfit and see how I'm looking lol. I need to realign my rear axle first, it's off by about 4mm so only one side rubs

So the way the rivets were explained to me is you push the middle part in, then use a special tool to pull it out, and that's it. I haven't tried it yet though so I'm might just be bsing lol. I hope it that easy to remove.

Yikes. So you almost need to retrofit the stock reflector on your bumper?

You're right they do look tiny in there! Have you tried looking at these?
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/as...led-fog-lights

I'm not sure how friendly the mounting points will be but these are very nice fog lights. My dad has a set on his super duty to match the headlights. Definitely pricey but worth it in they're output and quality. I'm still lovin the headlights btw
      05-30-2020, 07:02 PM   #66
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I just like the standard clamp and boot connection, really no need for a quick disconnect, especially if we run into boost leak issues when the boost gets turned up! I would think you're 35i has more options, my x5d doesn't have much of an aftermarket... even my 335d has more options!!

Weird! I'm sure your e90 has a different tune than mine since I'm diesel. I think that setting only works in m-mode though. That's pretty sweet though! The kickdown is another useless thing for my car, especially since I have so much lowend torque available... It was eliminated though lol.

I like the look of that shift knob!

Yeah I'll have to plug in my specs on willtheyfit and see how I'm looking lol. I need to realign my rear axle first, it's off by about 4mm so only one side rubs

So the way the rivets were explained to me is you push the middle part in, then use a special tool to pull it out, and that's it. I haven't tried it yet though so I'm might just be bsing lol. I hope it that easy to remove.

Yikes. So you almost need to retrofit the stock reflector on your bumper?

You're right they do look tiny in there! Have you tried looking at these?
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/as...led-fog-lights

I'm not sure how friendly the mounting points will be but these are very nice fog lights. My dad has a set on his super duty to match the headlights. Definitely pricey but worth it in they're output and quality. I'm still lovin the headlights btw
I think the coupler over pipe with a lip and clamp is more than plenty to hold couplers on. I hope so! Lol. I haven’t really looked at any parts, besides the tune.

I never used the kick down either. Unless I was in 6th gear and wanted it to drop to 3rd and feel the instant push. I need to eliminate it too. And in the e90 it is nice not having the trans shift down to 1st. If the x5 behaves like that, I’ll most likely do the trans flash soon after it’s put together. What did you pay for the xhp licenses?

Yea that shift knob looks sweet! But too pricey for me. Maybe one day I’ll find a used one and retrofit it.

What’s causing the misalignment? Jist the alignment points are off?
If I could shave 5mm off my e90 front wheel hub, I’d be very happy!

A video I saw also said to push the rivers back into their slot and then use a pry tool to pop them out. I was able to push one in and it was easy. The rest were too hard to push and I didn’t want to take the wheel off, so I just pried them out complete and they were able to come out with the panel tool.

The entire reflector would be even harder, plus I don’t like the look of reflectors on bumpers. I’m thinking cut the camera mounting point off the reflector and just trace it over the new bumper and cut the hole. So nice of bmw to not make the mounting point separate and deciding not to make it round either

I agree with you on the pricey part! Lol
Definitely too much for me for a set of fog lights.
The ones I got are 3”. I’m thinking 5” would look good back there.
7” may be too big?.
Mounting them would also be difficult as you’d have to make a bracket to house it.
I’m thinking the fog lights that come with a single post mounting bracket would the easiest to mount/adjust and be the most sturdy.
Most I’m looking to spend is about $50 on a set.
I did find bigger ones with the halo ring, but no mounting posts.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-5....c100008.m2219

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Inch-Roun...be9ba8fd5b22f0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4inch-Round...UAAOSwcBpdmqH8

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-4inch-Le....c100005.m1851

These look good but no halo, which isn’t a big deal breaker.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-5inch-Ro...EAAOSwRXxezxxJ

These have the led bulb built in and are 4” but no mounting bracket.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-60W-Cree-...d3fd476742e8f9

And there’s hundreds more lol. I’ll have to exactly measure the grill to see how big it is and what size light would look best.

Here’s ,y idea to mounting the lights that come with a single post mounting bracket.
Photo is of an e90 but x5 looks the same. The bumper bar is right there so you can easily bolt a bracket to it, and there’s loads of space behind the grill for whatever light you decide to go with.
I’m thinking a 1” wide piece of steel bent to shape, attached to the bumper then the light mounted on the other end. This gives us the ability to adjust the light, side to side and up and down.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0