XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-24-2020, 02:03 PM   #1
lagniappe_718
Private
Rep
Drives: x5m, silverado, 4runner, boats

Garage List
2011 X5M  [0.00]
S63 jb4 install help

Does anyone have the original s63 installation guide for the JB4+BCM? I just picked one up second hand and did not come with instructions. I know it's pretty straight forward, but wouldn't mind a glance at them. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 10:52 PM   #2
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagniappe_718 View Post
Does anyone have the original s63 installation guide for the JB4+BCM? I just picked one up second hand and did not come with instructions. I know it's pretty straight forward, but wouldn't mind a glance at them. Thanks
You can email burger motorsports. They likely have it archived.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 07:14 PM   #3
X5msaiyan
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2013 135i, 2011 x5m

Super easy to do actually. I got mine from here 2 weeks ago. Installed it in like 1 hr. Make sure to do your spark plugs. 97506s at .020"
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 07:58 PM   #4
lagniappe_718
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5msaiyan View Post
Super easy to do actually. I got mine from here 2 weeks ago. Installed it in like 1 hr. Make sure to do your spark plugs. 97506s at .020"
Good advice. Did you have instructions or just wing it?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 09:53 PM   #5
lagniappe_718
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5M  [0.00]
Ok I found a good write up and got it installed with no issues. Start the car and got all the expected warnings after a battery disconnect which all went away on their own. Driving around with no issues, do a 3rd gear pull with the jb4 off...everything is normal. Put it in map 1, 3rd gear again and it pulled hard to about 4500 then went into limp mode, CEL, engine malfunction error and a constant misfire. It’s weird because I can’t pull a misfire code in the jb4 app or my Autel scanner. Thinking maybe one of the dme pins for the bcm wiggled loose... any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 10:08 PM   #6
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M, 99 M3

The JB4 is NOT recommended to run the ECU (boost and fuel control) pins any longer they recommend only connecting the canbus red/green, map sensors and power so I would check this first.

Tuning a car will make a small problem that is not noticeable a very big problem.

It is always recommended to do a tune up before installing a new tune, NKG 97506 plugs are the one for our platform, if you have not done a tuneup now is the time.

Check to make sure you have had the injector recall performed or are using index-12 injectors ( this is really important )

Now ....... there is A LOT more that can be wrong but thankfully we have it figured out now so all you need to do is search the forums for s63 engine malfunction and you will find everything you need.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #7
lagniappe_718
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenm View Post
The JB4 is NOT recommended to run the ECU (boost and fuel control) pins any longer they recommend only connecting the canbus red/green, map sensors and power so I would check this first.

Tuning a car will make a small problem that is not noticeable a very big problem.

It is always recommended to do a tune up before installing a new tune, NKG 97506 plugs are the one for our platform, if you have not done a tuneup now is the time.

Check to make sure you have had the injector recall performed or are using index-12 injectors ( this is really important )

Now ....... there is A LOT more that can be wrong but thankfully we have it figured out now so all you need to do is search the forums for s63 engine malfunction and you will find everything you need.
Plugs are on my quarantine to do list for sure. I know the BCM isn't officially supported anymore, but the unit I have is on the original firmware so it *should* be compatible.

Familiar with the engine malfunction error (actually think you helped out in that thread too), already had a coil pack issue lol. But that time I had a misfire code for the offending cylinder. What's weird now is that I don't have any error codes for a misfire and it started immediately after using the jb4. So I'm assuming the issue is related. It doesn't matter what map i'm in, the miss is constant...even map 0/jb4 off.

I'm hoping that one of the fuel pins backed out of the dme plug, there was one that was a little finnicky and didnt want to seat well. Which seems to makes sense because even on map 0, the 'pass through' value of the stock tune would be having difficulty with a bad connection.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 01:35 PM   #8
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Plugs are on my quarantine to do list for sure. I know the BCM isn't officially supported anymore, but the unit I have is on the original firmware so it *should* be compatible.

Familiar with the engine malfunction error (actually think you helped out in that thread too), already had a coil pack issue lol. But that time I had a misfire code for the offending cylinder. What's weird now is that I don't have any error codes for a misfire and it started immediately after using the jb4. So I'm assuming the issue is related. It doesn't matter what map i'm in, the miss is constant...even map 0/jb4 off.

I'm hoping that one of the fuel pins backed out of the dme plug, there was one that was a little finnicky and didnt want to seat well. Which seems to makes sense because even on map 0, the 'pass through' value of the stock tune would be having difficulty with a bad connection.
Im not referring to it being supported - the pins you are talking being an issue are recommended by them to not be used at all ...

There is a thread that they actually provide some very limited support and go into more detail - https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showt...=41501&page=22

I have the original JB4 mentioned at the beginning of that thread - I used the BCM and fuel wires for over 2 years and didn't install them when I reinstalled mine a few months ago since they are not recommending it anymore.

I just turn to map 2 and enjoy the benefits for now, there are other features that are useful like auto-code clearing and logging

Flash tunes are very affordable for this platform now and provide support ....

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 01:57 PM   #9
lagniappe_718
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Im not referring to it being supported - the pins you are talking being an issue are recommended by them to not be used at all ...

There is a thread that they actually provide some very limited support and go into more detail - https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showt...=41501&page=22

I have the original JB4 mentioned at the beginning of that thread - I used the BCM and fuel wires for over 2 years and didn't install them when I reinstalled mine a few months ago since they are not recommending it anymore.

I just turn to map 2 and enjoy the benefits for now, there are other features that are useful like auto-code clearing and logging

Gotcha. I'll pull those pins this afternoon and see what happens. Hopefully it clears up.

Are you still able to run any exthanol mixtures without the BCM?

I was on the fence between a couple different flashes, but then found a jb4 local for cheap and decided to give it a whirl.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 04:05 PM   #10
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha. I'll pull those pins this afternoon and see what happens. Hopefully it clears up.

Are you still able to run any exthanol mixtures without the BCM?

I was on the fence between a couple different flashes, but then found a jb4 local for cheap and decided to give it a whirl.
No

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:26 PM   #11
lagniappe_718
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
No
Well, removed the BCM wires and now it just cranks and no starts at all and i get a fuel pump error. So in trying to unfuck it, i made it worse. Go me. Came in for a drink and to pound my head against a wall then go back out to remove it entirely and see what happens...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:58 PM   #12
lagniappe_718
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5M  [0.00]
Back to 100% stock and still just cranks and no start. What myriad of things could I have wrecked in the 7 minutes of driving with it installed?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:57 PM   #13
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Back to 100% stock and still just cranks and no start. What myriad of things could I have wrecked in the 7 minutes of driving with it installed?
Post the error code your getting. Assuming its the low-pressure pumps since the high pressure are mechanical and most likely a connector/connection issue. Especially easy to do with how many wires are stuffed in there.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:13 PM   #14
lagniappe_718
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Post the error code your getting. Assuming its the low-pressure pumps since the high pressure are mechanical and most likely a connector/connection issue. Especially easy to do with how many wires are stuffed in there.
Here’s all of them...
U0100
P10A8
P10BA
P10BD
P1281 fuel volume regulator control bank 2
P11BD
P13E3
P0241 turbo boost sensor b circuit low
P10A5
P0307 cylinder 7 misfire
P13E4
P0228 throttle position sensor C circuit high
P212C throttle position sensor G circuit low
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 01:43 AM   #15
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Here’s all of them...
U0100
P10A8
P10BA
P10BD
P1281 fuel volume regulator control bank 2
P11BD
P13E3
P0241 turbo boost sensor b circuit low
P10A5
P0307 cylinder 7 misfire
P13E4
P0228 throttle position sensor C circuit high
P212C throttle position sensor G circuit low
With that many codes it has to be either a complete section of the harness is hooked up wrong, a major ground or power connection to the ECM is out, or possibly damage to the ECM. I would double check all the connections and that you reassembled the connection plugs to the ECM correctly, I have a feeling you got something mixed up with so many circuits reading low/high
Appreciate 1
TTV8M118.00
      04-08-2020, 08:28 AM   #16
lagniappe_718
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
With that many codes it has to be either a complete section of the harness is hooked up wrong, a major ground or power connection to the ECM is out, or possibly damage to the ECM. I would double check all the connections and that you reassembled the connection plugs to the ECM correctly, I have a feeling you got something mixed up with so many circuits reading low/high
That's my general line of thinking, too. I'll unplug/replug everything later today. I'm scared that the jb4 damaged the ECM because there errors associated with fuel and boost. But It just seems odd to me that it ran fine on map 0, the fine on map 1 for a few minutes. I guess at some point during that 3rd gear pull on map 1 something could have shorted, or a sensor could have failed and then a chain reaction to where I'm at now?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #17
lagniappe_718
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok Disconnected the battery again, double checked all plugs at the DME, fuses, etc. Ignition on, cleared old codes and tried to start. Same behavior, cranks indefinitely with no start. The codes I have now are..

29F3 Fuel low pressure sensor
2CF3 Throttle valve 2 potentiometer 1
2D4C Throttle valve 2 potentiometer 2
2E63 Load shedding relay for ignition and fuel injection system
2E77 Ignition voltage supply
30BA Injectors x, y, z or Digital Engine Electronics internal fault
30BB Injectors x, y, z or Digital Engine Electronics internal fault
30BC Injectors x, y, z or Digital Engine Electronics internal fault
30BD Injectors x, y, z or Digital Engine Electronics internal fault
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 01:12 PM   #18
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ok Disconnected the battery again, double checked all plugs at the DME, fuses, etc. Ignition on, cleared old codes and tried to start. Same behavior, cranks indefinitely with no start. The codes I have now are..

29F3 Fuel low pressure sensor
2CF3 Throttle valve 2 potentiometer 1
2D4C Throttle valve 2 potentiometer 2
2E63 Load shedding relay for ignition and fuel injection system
2E77 Ignition voltage supply
30BA Injectors x, y, z or Digital Engine Electronics internal fault
30BB Injectors x, y, z or Digital Engine Electronics internal fault
30BC Injectors x, y, z or Digital Engine Electronics internal fault
30BD Injectors x, y, z or Digital Engine Electronics internal fault
IF you are 100% sure its not a fuse (there are some buried deep in the DME protection box) or connection issue at the DME, I doubt you would have touched them but just in case, check the bolts that hold on the injector/coil wiring harness on each side of the engine. They are actual grounding points for the injectors and coils and the rest of the engine sensors. If that checks out, then it may very well be something fried in the DME, at that point I would remove the entire unit from the protection box and go over every wire fuse and connection with a magnify glass (literally) before trying to get another one and coding it.

One more thing, If I remember correctly on the JB4 instructions, it had you take apart the connectors to access the pins and then reassemble the connectors before plugging them back in. Is it possible that one of the connectors was reassembled incorrectly and the pins are now mixed up?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #19
lagniappe_718
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
IF you are 100% sure its not a fuse (there are some buried deep in the DME protection box) or connection issue at the DME, I doubt you would have touched them but just in case, check the bolts that hold on the injector/coil wiring harness on each side of the engine. They are actual grounding points for the injectors and coils and the rest of the engine sensors. If that checks out, then it may very well be something fried in the DME, at that point I would remove the entire unit from the protection box and go over every wire fuse and connection with a magnify glass (literally) before trying to get another one and coding it.

One more thing, If I remember correctly on the JB4 instructions, it had you take apart the connectors to access the pins and then reassemble the connectors before plugging them back in. Is it possible that one of the connectors was reassembled incorrectly and the pins are now mixed up?
I'll double check those fuses, the two 30a in the dme box are fine and all the ones in the rear panel by the batter are fine. Ya didn't check the inj/coil harnesses but will go over those. I saw some threads on n54 tech where 335 guys would get the 30BA/B/C/D codes with similar symptoms and the mofsets in the dme were blown... would really suck but not the worst i suppose. Horrible dark irony, but actually had a similar problem with my old turbo e34 540...was running on megasquirt and had a few mofsets fail in that.

When i had my scanner on i could see i had good rail pressure and when cranking the fuel pump duty rose. So I don't think there's a problem there.

Yes to disassembling the DME plugs. I was careful about making sure that I replace the correct pins with the Jb4 wires and and went back over the install guide when i put the stock pins back in. And the connectors will only go back in the plug one way so idiots like me have a limited chance of failure.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 05:05 PM   #20
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'll double check those fuses, the two 30a in the dme box are fine and all the ones in the rear panel by the batter are fine. Ya didn't check the inj/coil harnesses but will go over those. I saw some threads on n54 tech where 335 guys would get the 30BA/B/C/D codes with similar symptoms and the mofsets in the dme were blown... would really suck but not the worst i suppose. Horrible dark irony, but actually had a similar problem with my old turbo e34 540...was running on megasquirt and had a few mofsets fail in that.

When i had my scanner on i could see i had good rail pressure and when cranking the fuel pump duty rose. So I don't think there's a problem there.

Yes to disassembling the DME plugs. I was careful about making sure that I replace the correct pins with the Jb4 wires and and went back over the install guide when i put the stock pins back in. And the connectors will only go back in the plug one way so idiots like me have a limited chance of failure.
Could be your Fets but there are codes not related so still thinking its some major connection that is shared between so many systems. What was your rail pressure? Should be around 1600-2000psi if memory serves when cranking.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 06:10 PM   #21
lagniappe_718
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Could be your Fets but there are codes not related so still thinking its some major connection that is shared between so many systems. What was your rail pressure? Should be around 1600-2000psi if memory serves when cranking.
Mmm 1700 and change I think. I can try again to double check. Ya I’m still leaning towards something like a fuse or relay that failed.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 01:37 AM   #22
nistech11
Rep
Drives: 10' X5M

Quote:

Can you run map 2 without the fuel wires connected? Currently im just running map 1 with only tmaps and can bus wires as thats what was recommended on a stock vehicle.
Appreciate 0