XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-30-2020, 12:11 PM   #1
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5M/Ford Raptor/19 BMW i3

2013 X5M - 2 of 3 Keys Stopped Working -

While my X5M was in the shop last year getting the motor rebuilt, the shop lost the comfort access key. Thankfully I had an extra I let them use. They ordered another key from BMW for me and the key would not work. About 2 months later I was in the back of my vehicle checking the battery condition and found the original lost key under the battery.

All that to say, I now have three keys:
1) The original key that was lost(and found under the battery)
2) The key that was used as a replacement after the shop lost the first key
3) A new key from BMW

Currently the only key that works is the 2nd key. The vehicle senses the other two keys, if I approach the vehicle you can hear it prepare for departure(clicking sounds). If I push any button on it, the vehicle responds with slight clicking sounds as well. When I put key 1 and 3 into the ignition the vehicle does not respond and the key is not locked into place as it does with key 2.

I've tried everything BMW recommends when it comes to "syncing" the keys. I've tried replacing the batteries in the two keys and it doesn't change anything.

What's odd is that key 1 worked perfectly before it was lost and now doesn't unlock/lock or start the vehicle. Though as mentioned above, the vehicle recognizes it because it when I push any button on it the vehicle clicks.

Does anyone know any other syncing methods, or anything I can try to clear things out? Here's what I've done: "Hold the unlock button down, then press the BMW logo three times in rapid succession. Then, remove your finger from the unlock button. If you have additional BMW keys that you need to program, repeat step four with each additional fob, within thirty seconds of syncing the original."

Thanks in advance for any input! I'd like to avoid a visit to the dealer during these Covid times.
2019 i3
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 07:22 PM   #2
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

BMW only allows 2 keys so if the third key was programmed, one of the other keys won't work.

Did the shop get the replacement key from the dealer? A key can be programmed remotely but for the CA to work, I think you probably would need to go to the dealer.

Have you tired http://www.codemycar.com/, they might be able to disable the third one so the second one would work unless dealer disabled the 2nd key a the time of activating the 3rd one?
Appreciate 0