XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #1
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 MSport

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
E70 Towing Brake Controller Question

Recently had OEM factory tow hitch and wire harness installed on my E70 35d. Already did a 2,500 lbs two-horse empty tow 1.5hr drive and it performed flawlessly. My question is about adding a brake controller. It's not really necessary to add one, but it's nice to have a peace of mind when it is loaded up to about 5,000 lbs

I know BMW OEM brake controller is available. Wiring has to be routed from the front of the vehicle all the way to the back panel. I was wondering if the brake controller can just be "set it and forget it"? Meaning, could I just setup the brake controller in the trunk of the vehicle so I don't have to gut the interior to install in the cupholder or mount it under the drive side. Is there really a need to be able to access the controller on the fly?

Purchase your W///AGON Stickers Here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1930190
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 10:42 PM   #2
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

Just get the wireless tekonsha brake controller. Only need to plug it into the cigarette lighter when you are towing, and can stow it away otherwise. FYI, pretty sure the Bmw oem brake controller is the tekonsha hardwire unit if I remember correctly.
      05-15-2020, 08:45 AM   #3
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by askjeeves View Post
Just get the wireless tekonsha brake controller. Only need to plug it into the cigarette lighter when you are towing, and can stow it away otherwise. FYI, pretty sure the Bmw oem brake controller is the tekonsha hardwire unit if I remember correctly.
I've looked at the wireless options but I've read numerous reports that they have pairing issues. Not to mention it's paired with your phone, so you can't drop it, take calls, etc It's still an option, but it's virtually the same price. I know OEM will function the way it should hardwired, so I am just wondering if I can just leave it in the trunk/cargo area and just set it once before towing. I don't need a need for on the fly adjusting, unless people think that's really necessary? I am not sure, I am new to towing.

Purchase your W///AGON Stickers Here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1930190
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 11:32 PM   #4
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNY516 View Post
Quote:
I've looked at the wireless options but I've read numerous reports that they have pairing issues. Not to mention it's paired with your phone, so you can't drop it, take calls, etc It's still an option, but it's virtually the same price. I know OEM will function the way it should hardwired, so I am just wondering if I can just leave it in the trunk/cargo area and just set it once before towing. I don't need a need for on the fly adjusting, unless people think that's really necessary? I am not sure, I am new to towing.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...ha/TK94FR.html

I had seen some mention of pairing issues, but had no problems at all. Worst case, I was prepared to use a friends truck as a backup for pairing. Also, this model doesn't use your phone at all. Not sure which model you were looking at. Anyway, just a suggestion. I didn't want to hard mount a controller either, and this has worked really well for me in my e70.
      05-16-2020, 05:19 AM   #5
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

I do a good amount of long distance towing. Hard wire in a Tekonsha P3. I used the wireless garbage and you can’t have your blinker on without the brakes pulsing like anti-locks. It’s freaking awful.

If you’re serious about towing reliably, hard wire a controller in. I’ve towed cars thousands of miles on my car trailer and I’ll never go back from hard wired.
Appreciate 1
JDAURIA723.50
      05-16-2020, 12:52 PM   #6
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post
I do a good amount of long distance towing. Hard wire in a Tekonsha P3. I used the wireless garbage and you can’t have your blinker on without the brakes pulsing like anti-locks. It’s freaking awful.

If you’re serious about towing reliably, hard wire a controller in. I’ve towed cars thousands of miles on my car trailer and I’ll never go back from hard wired.
So would it be foolish to hardwire and leave the controller in the trunk/cargo area instead of wiring it through the vehicle up front? Is there really a necessity to be able to change settings on a trip?

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:22 AM   #7
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Yes, there is. To properly set brakes up with a trailer you need access to the manual control function.
I managed to only take thss was passenger side trims off, bottom door opening trims and popped the rear seat up on one side, and one or the trims of the space between the c and d pillar. No need to gut the whole interior.

Not to mention, if your X5 brakes ever go out, or you ever start feeling sway, you need that manual control accessible to be able to stop the sway. I change my settings with every load on my trailer.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 01:15 PM   #8
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNY516 View Post
What? Someone makes a brake controller that pairs to a phone, that seems like a really bad idea.. Heck people can barely stay on the road while driving with their phones, then using one for a saftey function giving you another reason to stare at it, and using a touch screen for brakes, just seems like a bad bad idea. The military realized a long time ago touch screens for critical interfaces are a bad idea.

I've never heard of one that pairs to a cell phone, bluetooth would never have the range and be problematic..... They all pair to a wireless hand controller as far as I've seen, or at least the good ones.

Yes you do need on the fly adjusting so that your can dial in the proper amount of trailer braking for your setup. Plus you want the ability to jam on the trailer brakes to stop sway in the even of a sway condition.

https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-9025.../dp/B001P0ZA86

I've used the tekonsha wireless controller for years on 2x X5s and my Ford F-450 tow vehicles and on multiple trailers it works great. The only issue I've had with paring has been due to blown fuses in the tow vehicles in the 7 pin connector. Its a lot easier to install and makes it very easy to tow the same trailer with multiple vehicles.

Last edited by Thecastle; 05-30-2020 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 03:01 PM   #9
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
What? Someone makes a brake controller that pairs to a phone, that seems like a really bad idea.. Heck people can barely stay on the road while driving with their phones, then using one for a saftey function giving you another reason to stare at it, and using a touch screen for brakes, just seems like a bad bad idea. The military realized a long time ago touch screens for critical interfaces are a bad idea.

I've never heard of one that pairs to a cell phone, bluetooth would never have the range and be problematic..... They all pair to a wireless hand controller as far as I've seen, or at least the good ones.

Yes you do need on the fly adjusting so that your can dial in the proper amount of trailer braking for your setup. Plus you want the ability to jam on the trailer brakes to stop sway in the even of a sway condition.

https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-9025.../dp/B001P0ZA86

I've used the tekonsha wireless controller for years on 2x X5s and my Ford F-450 tow vehicles and on multiple trailers it works great. The only issue I've had with paring has been due to blown fuses in the tow vehicles in the 7 pin connector. Its a lot easier to install and makes it very easy to tow the same trailer with multiple vehicles.
Thanks. I’ll be buying the tekonsha.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 09:41 AM   #10
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
The RecArc Tow Pro Elite works real well. Nice and small remote control unit so it doesn't get in the way. About $200 on Amazon.

Been using it about 3 years now.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 07:55 AM   #11
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It never annoyed you in any of the 3 cars that the brakes don't work when the blinker is on? They pulse like crazy with the blink. Wild that your 450 didn't just have a controller built in. What year was it? I dream of a 450 as the eventual long haul tow rig.
      06-03-2020, 10:28 PM   #12
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It never annoyed you in any of the 3 cars that the brakes don't work when the blinker is on? They pulse like crazy with the blink. Wild that your 450 didn't just have a controller built in. What year was it? I dream of a 450 as the eventual long haul tow rig.
What's the big deal with it pulsing the trailer brakes with the hazards on? People shouldn't be driving with the hazards on anyway(granted it happens a lot in Miami when raining). I am curious what the situation was for you for this to be an issue.
      06-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #13
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
I've never even heard of that. Someone must have wired 7 pin connector wrong if your having that happen. apparently its a wiring issue in your vehicle, but that is not normal at all. https://www.etrailer.com/question-27...0the%20vehicle.

None of my vehicles using the Teknosha brake controller have any brake pulsing when using the turn signals or hazard lights. The brakes on the trailer work normally. The controller can hold them at full lock if desired. I'm guessing someone must have tapped the brake light/turn signal wire on your vehicles instead of the correct wire.

On the 7 pin the brakes are a separate line from the turn signals/brake lights.

On a separate note, trailer brakes can be touchy on first tow because they are stuck, and the way you work around that is to apply the vehicle brakes full power then hit the lock up on the tow controller full power then drive. normally.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 04:17 PM   #14
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
I have a 2000 Ford F-450 with a 7.3L powerstroke.

I actually use the X5M mostly for towing. The 2000 F-450 is my companies work truck and the X5M is my company car. The 550i is my daily and my wife drives the cooper which she totally loves ;-). We prefer the X5 because it has a much tighter turning radius and short length making it much easier to back the trailer into our storage garage or a tight campsite. Plus parking the X5 is much easier, in part because its 19ft long vs 26ft for the truck so it fits better in national park campsites. Another reason for us liking the X5 is it rides much much better and gets better fuel economy while towing 8.5-10mpg (generally 9). The F450 gets 6-7 mpg, and is very bouncy while towing and rough riding in general. Part of my business builds wifi networks for hotels/RV parks etc as part of my business, so I'll pull the trailer with the tuck and live live in the trailer until the job is completed. On vacations we always take the X5. Both notice have WDH hitches. I'm sure we'd get some interesting looks using the bucket truck to tow our tailer into a national park..

Using the right tow vehicle for your trailer is the best way to go. If you have a small light trailer, you'll have an easier time parking, get better fuel economy and have better ride using a smaller tow vehicle. Using a large trailer you should get a bigger vehcile. But I'll tell you from experience, the F-450 is the wrong vehicle for a small trailer. You live with its downsides only if you have no other way to tow your chosen trailer. But in general pickups are okay light duty tow vehicles, if your serious about a big trailer I'd get a class 5 truck any day.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 04:20 PM   #15
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What's the big deal with it pulsing the trailer brakes with the hazards on? People shouldn't be driving with the hazards on anyway(granted it happens a lot in Miami when raining). I am curious what the situation was for you for this to be an issue.
Not hazards, but turn signals while braking specifically.

Quote:
I've never even heard of that. Someone must have wired 7 pin connector wrong if your having that happen. apparently its a wiring issue in your vehicle, but that is not normal at all. https://www.etrailer.com/question-27...0the%20vehicle.

None of my vehicles using the Teknosha brake controller have any brake pulsing when using the turn signals or hazard lights. The brakes on the trailer work normally. The controller can hold them at full lock if desired. I'm guessing someone must have tapped the brake light/turn signal wire on your vehicles instead of the correct wire.

On the 7 pin the brakes are a separate line from the turn signals/brake lights.
I wired mine myself, following BMW's TIS for it. I have since had a bmw tech verify it when I was having wireless tekonsha problems. In addition, it's professionally coded, and then checked again by myself, and it works with all other trailers. The pulsing is something documented as occurring on many vehicles, though I had never seen that specific etrailer question you linked. Weird, but It's wired in as if oem, so I'm not sure the issue. I have 0 issues with my hardwired brake controller, and I trust is much more than the wireless one for long hauls. I have 0 issues with my 7 pin except when I was trying to use the wireless controller, so I moved on from it. Having thousands of pounds behind me just isn't the time to have untrustworthy brakes.

Also, weird that you say your f450 is bouncy. From driving DOT inspection e350 bucket truck vans for a while, I know how much those bucket assemblies weigh. I wonder if the suspension is set up properly for that constant weight. I've been in civilian spec f450's that have been very smooth tow rigs with 10-15k lbs behind them.
      06-06-2020, 10:53 PM   #16
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ehh who uses turn signals in a BMW anyway??!!

Weird you had that issue. I wired the harness with the provided instructions (can't remember if they was from Bmw or tekonsha), and definitely don't have brakes pulsing with the turn signals. I really wouldn't use my turn signals if that happened.
      06-07-2020, 06:48 PM   #17
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Also, weird that you say your f450 is bouncy. From driving DOT inspection e350 bucket truck vans for a while, I know how much those bucket assemblies weigh. I wonder if the suspension is set up properly for that constant weight. I've been in civilian spec f450's that have been very smooth tow rigs with 10-15k lbs behind them.
Mine F450 weighs 13,200lbs with an empty diesel tank last I took it to the cat scales. Which btw is more than my X5M+trailer weigh together (5200lbs+4800lbs empty On cat scales)

It’s GVWR is 15,000lbs it’s a rolling cab truck with a service body on it. With I think 186” wheel base, on 19.5” commercial wheels. Good riding it is not. It’s “fine” when the road is smooth. But titled concrete slabs are not the friend of pickups, especially when towing. It rides like early tundras with the bed bounce problem. And shiver me timbers we’re at sea when we corner with that 42” ft boom mounted on top. . Lol. The truck is about 11 feet tall. Also the steering lacks a what I would call precision or feel. I’ve had all the ball joints replaced, steering rack and etc to get the front end a little tighter, but yeah precision is not a a capability. It does have 328,000+ miles on it... but it’s been well maintained.

I believe this trucks GCWR is 22,000lbs so the max trailer it can legally tow would be about 9500lbs. I have a class V hitch on the truck welded to the frame. The consumer f-450 with a bed has different capabilities, usually less payload.

It works fine for what I need it for which is to install WiFi gear, but it’s a shock to the system when I hop in my bmw after I drop this off at storage, it’s hard to believe the f-450 and the bmw are both road vehicles, the contrast is huge. The f-450 is a work truck, noisy, rough running, full of vibration and bounce, the bmw is near silent, smooth and precise. The f450 is basic as basic it gets, crank windows, vinyl floor and seats, am/fm radio, no cruise, no power locks. But being that I live in Texas the ac does work... the best thing about the f450 for towing is the mirrors. But holy cow is it slow...

Last edited by Thecastle; 06-07-2020 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
Spyro235258.50
      08-16-2020, 03:41 PM   #18
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
So the only downside I am seeing to the OEM BMW one (which is probably made Tekonsha) is that the factory installation uses a cup holder right? Other than that, it should be plug & play with the OEM towing harness which I have installed. Brake controller wires would route from the trunk fuse box area, down the rear passenger side, into the passenger footwell area and up into the center console. OEM is currently priced at $200. I don't see a Tekonsha for any cheaper

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 11:30 AM   #19
robk429
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70, E38, E39, E46

I just sold my 2013 E70 X5 and used the BMW OEM brake controller to tow a 4,500lb travel trailer. It worked great and the cupholder mount worked well and was positioned perfectly for use. I am selling the brake controller on ebay, not including the wiring, if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0