XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-12-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
ironmonkeypimp
Rep
Drives: X6 Xdrive 35d

X6 E71 Basic Sound System Help needed

Hi,

I have an 09 E71 X6, the sound system seems to be the "basic" variant, just front and rear speakers. Although I can feel some grills under my seat, I dont think there are any subwoofers under the seat. In the front it looks like I have just tweeter grills with no tweeter behind it.

I'm trying to tap into some high level speaker wires to convert them to a low level pre out level for an amplifier.

Ive looked in the boot and there is no amplifier. I have a TCU1.5 unit, and a Video Module, but nothing else. I'm therefore assuming all the amplification is done via the headunit and I'll need to take my hight level input from the back of the head unit.

Can anyone help me out here:
Am i right in assuming i can take high level speaker wire from the back of the head unit ?
Where would the speaker wire be ?
What colours are the speaker wires ?

For info Ive installed my 6x9's and 2 amplifiers in the car just looking to get the input sorted. I'll be upgrading the fronts and adding a subwoofer shortly after the unput is sorted.

Many thx
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TTV8M113.50
      06-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #2
ironmonkeypimp
Rep

Bit more info .... I have a CCC unit and I've found a wiring diagram for that unit which displays the speaker wires I need. I'll open up the dash and hopefully what I have matches up with that diagram.

*** Since taking my CCC Idrive out and checking the back of that and the diagram below - the diagram is not the CCC Idrive unit.
Attached Images

Last edited by ironmonkeypimp; 06-24-2018 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #3
cechb84
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5

X6 E71 Basic Sound System Help needed

hello, i am in the same predicament as you, I was wondering if you recived any information on where to put you sub input?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
ironmonkeypimp
Rep

I think the thing you need to do first is figure out what head unit you have, whether its a CCC or CIC, google that and see if which screen matches up with yours. And also what level of audio system you have: I found this little titbit, that helps:

"If you do not have tweeters in your front doors, you have "Base" audio. If you do have tweeters in your front doors and do not have speakers in your rear "D-Pillars" (the far back columns at the very rear of your X5), then you have "Standard (Hi-Fi)" audio. If you do have speakers in this area, then you have "Premium (Top Hi-Fi)" audio."

If you have Hi-Fi or Top Hi-fi, you will have an amp, probably in the passenger side of the boot. You can get you high level input from there. If you have a base or basic set up like mine, you get the high level input from the back of the head unit.

You then take the high level signal into a high low convertor which gives you pre outs. Now in case you have a filtered signal - its probably best to use a subwoofer equilizer / cross over or ensure your amp has a good cross over and some frequency boost capability otherwise you might be putting a bass less signal into your amp.

Here's my setup:
Cache cloc+d as my line convertor
Vibe Delta Bass generator to tweak my bass
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TTV8M113.50
      06-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
ironmonkeypimp
Rep

Installed my 4 inch Rockford Fosgate fronts today. The speaker although 4 inch is much bigger, in terms of cone area and depth. Surprisingly the mounting holes match up to the RF's due to the basket design. I had to grind away some of the plastic to ensure there was sufficient room for cone excursion.

Although they stick out further once attached the door panel went back on no problem. Windows etc all function fine.

Sound is much better, but I have yet to connect these to the amp, they are still running off the HU.

Even if you dont install amps etc - these speaker fit and sound much better than stock speakers. they cost around 55 a set.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TTV8M113.50
      06-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
ironmonkeypimp
Rep

Ive ran into some major trouble close to the final stages. My front door speakers have been connected and I made a note of the wire colours:

right
yellow and yellow /blue

left
white and white /blue

Ive taken the CCC idrive out and was planning on snipping the input wires for the input and output wires to the new speakers. Its here were I was expecting to see a white & white/blue and a yellow&yellow/blue wires. However I haven't got them, bunch of other cables going into the back of the unit except those.

Now I'm completely stuck !!!

Pls can someone answer me 2 questions:

1. Do BMW somewhere between the speaker and HU change the colour of the speaker wires ?
2. Can anyone tell me which wires and the front left and right.

Many thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 05:38 PM   #7
ironmonkeypimp
Rep

S'working

So I used some of my ingenuity to figure this out. Got one of the OEM speakers I had taken out and connected them to the harness where I thought the speaker wire was being presented. I used the fader and balance to figure which speaker was which and Bingo bango job done.

Gracias.
Appreciate 1
TTV8M113.50
      10-07-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
nikita_567
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Cool Setup!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 02:57 PM   #9
teamhaze718
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2012

Need some help here pl

I got a 2012 x6m yesterday after work everything was fine out of no where i go to raise the volume on the radio and some how i cant heard no base sound at all cant even put my radio up now sound stupid like that i check all the radio fuse everything good want to know if there is a fuse for the radio amplifier or if any of you guys have come across this issue
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 06:33 AM   #10
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmonkeypimp View Post
So I used some of my ingenuity to figure this out. Got one of the OEM speakers I had taken out and connected them to the harness where I thought the speaker wire was being presented. I used the fader and balance to figure which speaker was which and Bingo bango job done.

Gracias.
Quality workmanship.
Well done.
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 01:42 AM   #11
septib
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw E39 1998, X6 E71 212

X6 E71 BMW 30dX. N57 FH61

hi, I need help, I can't find the plug diagram from the OEM audio amplifier, I want to add 2 more speakers under the seat with an amplifier, so I need the plug diagram with all the cables in / audio and out / audio

X6 E71 BMW 30dX. N57 FH61

please help
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 06:53 AM   #12
MCCoding
Programmer and occasional 2 stepper with the ting
Rep
Drives: E90 N47N, E92 M57, E71 M57

Final stage

Quote:

Gracias.

I need your help. I have the same setup: basic headunit without amp but I do uave subwoofers under seats.

I too want to add a sub and amp in the trunk. I want to tap into the wires but I don't know which is what.

Ideally the floor subwoofer cables, any idea of colours?

What were the colours of the wires you used? And where were they?

This would solve the hunt for the basic system speaker wire colours with your very detailed post

Thanks for your effort 😊 🙏
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 12:13 AM   #13
TTV8M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 AMG GLE53, '10 X6M

Garage List
2023 AMG GLE53  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi,

I have an 09 E71 X6, the sound system seems to be the "basic" variant, just front and rear speakers. Although I can feel some grills under my seat, I dont think there are any subwoofers under the seat. In the front it looks like I have just tweeter grills with no tweeter behind it.

I'm trying to tap into some high level speaker wires to convert them to a low level pre out level for an amplifier.

Ive looked in the boot and there is no amplifier. I have a TCU1.5 unit, and a Video Module, but nothing else. I'm therefore assuming all the amplification is done via the headunit and I'll need to take my hight level input from the back of the head unit.

Can anyone help me out here:
Am i right in assuming i can take high level speaker wire from the back of the head unit ?
Where would the speaker wire be ?
What colours are the speaker wires ?

For info Ive installed my 6x9's and 2 amplifiers in the car just looking to get the input sorted. I'll be upgrading the fronts and adding a subwoofer shortly after the unput is sorted.

Many thx

Very nice and neat wiring. Great job

Last edited by TTV8M; 10-15-2023 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0