XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-19-2021, 12:56 PM   #1
m6NYC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupé

Should I buy an abandoned X6 M for insanely cheap?

Hey guys, was offered an E71 X6 M that was abandoned with NO TITLE for an insanely cheap price. Previous owner is currently a missing person for the past 10 years. Obtaining a title would be impossible even with a DPPA request as that cannot remove the previous owner from title history.
Car is surprisingly in decent shape, low miles, runs and drives.

Need some opinions, on if I should buy or not? Ideally I would love to drive this as a daily, not really interested in parting out as I don't have the time or space but I guess this would be a good base for a project car.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 04:21 PM   #2
jaitoon
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6 50i

M6, you asked for opinions. You didnt say how many you miles , nor did you say if you are mechanically inclined. E71 years 2009- through roughly 2013, are known to have a few issues such as excessive oil consumption, turbo issues, coolant leaks, injector issues, timing guides/timing chain. Assuming the previous owner did not have the CCP done, you wont qualify (based on ownership). Dealers - SA most likely wont deal with you. If you have money to burn, go for it.
But if you dont, my suggestion is leave it abandoned...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 06:45 PM   #3
m6NYC
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaitoon View Post
M6, you asked for opinions. You didnt say how many you miles , nor did you say if you are mechanically inclined. E71 years 2009- through roughly 2013, are known to have a few issues such as excessive oil consumption, turbo issues, coolant leaks, injector issues, timing guides/timing chain. Assuming the previous owner did not have the CCP done, you wont qualify (based on ownership). Dealers - SA most likely wont deal with you. If you have money to burn, go for it.
But if you dont, my suggestion is leave it abandoned...
Good questions. Car has 45k on the odometer, the interior condition confirms mileage.. Carfax history is clean and apparently maintained. The S63 first Gen is a disaster but usually at around 80-100k. I currently daily an s63tu.

I'm not a mechanic by trade, but I have done all repairs and upgrades on my current M6 GC myself. My car has never been to a mechanic, since it's factory warranty has expired.

The seller is asking 4500 for it. Figured it would be an interesting parts car for a Copart project maybe?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 07:31 PM   #4
jaitoon
Rep

45K, and asking price of $4500. Man, that sounds like a steal...I see why you would be considering this offer. Its a gamble. Get the car checked out. If you have no rod bearings issues, and given what I wrote previously, if everything checks out ok, you got yourself a damn good deal...and as you suggested in a worst case scenario, a Copart project...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 04:59 AM   #5
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

My 2013 X6M has had none of the problems listed ...Personally I’d buy it for that price and become an eBay parts seller.... Or just buy it as my track beast...

The running engine alone is worth it...and far more...

If you can’t get title... not sure it’s worth it as you don’t have time/space etc - what’s the point of a project car in your case?

Whole post seems pointless to be honest..

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 02-27-2021 at 05:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 04:57 PM   #6
jaitoon
Rep

Well it all depends on what we consider pointless - I feel sorry for the guy who walks into a BMW dealership buys a hundred thousand dollar whip and in about 10 years (if he keeps it that long) realizes that it has lost over 80 percent of its value (oh wait, that's me).... The depreciation on these vehicles are insane! But I digress, it's not pointless for the man to ask for opinions. He is trying to make an informed decision. But you are right on the money regarding not having the title and taking on a project ride...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 10:21 PM   #7
m6NYC
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbofraggins View Post
My 2013 X6M has had none of the problems listed ...Personally I’d buy it for that price and become an eBay parts seller.... Or just buy it as my track beast...

If you can’t get title... not sure it’s worth it as you don’t have time/space etc - what’s the point of a project car in your case?

Im confused as to what seems pointless about this post. Im willing to take on a project car. Something I can work on slowly as a fun project with my son. Not interested in having a car disassembled in my backyard to gradually sell on eBay over the course of what I'm assuming to be months and years. Im not desperate for money, currently working a full time job. Two completely different things.

Quote:
Well it all depends on what we consider pointless - I feel sorry for the guy who walks into a BMW dealership buys a hundred thousand dollar whip and in about 10 years (if he keeps it that long) realizes that it has lost over 80 percent of its value (oh wait, that's me).... The depreciation on these vehicles are insane! But I digress, it's not pointless for the man to ask for opinions. He is trying to make an informed decision. But you are right on the money regarding not having the title and taking on a project ride...
Quote:
45K, and asking price of $4500. Man, that sounds like a steal...I see why you would be considering this offer. Its a gamble. Get the car checked out. If you have no rod bearings issues, and given what I wrote previously, if everything checks out ok, you got yourself a damn good deal...and as you suggested in a worst case scenario, a Copart project...
Thanks for the input, just purchased it last week! Will post pics soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 05:55 AM   #8
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Good for you.....How is the vehicle so far...

What’s the plan....Good luck...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 09:35 PM   #9
YourfirstcarLLC
Rep
Drives: 12 BMW X5 50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6NYC View Post
Quote:

Im confused as to what seems pointless about this post. Im willing to take on a project car. Something I can work on slowly as a fun project with my son. Not interested in having a car disassembled in my backyard to gradually sell on eBay over the course of what I'm assuming to be months and years. Im not desperate for money, currently working a full time job. Two completely different things.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6NYC View Post
Quote:
My 2013 X6M has had none of the problems listed ...Personally I'd buy it for that price and become an eBay parts seller.... Or just buy it as my track beast...

If you can't get title... not sure it's worth it as you don't have time/space etc - what's the point of a project car in your case?

Quote:
Quote:
Shit that's a steal I buy no title cars purchased my 12 50I with 71k with a new engine installed by bmw with paperwork for 2800 defintely shows there's steals out here right place right time knowing what you doing type of things
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 02:06 PM   #10
jaitoon
Rep

LLC,
How is your ride, any issues so far?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #11
Ebtahi98
Master Seargant with marksmanship
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW13E70X5M720?hpAudi2003RS66+

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
1989/2000/2006/2018 ...  [0.00]
2004 Audi RS6   [0.00]
2002 BMW Z8  [10.00]
I'll take it lol / Connecticut statues a car after seven years you could get a replace title and register it put it this way if you have a stolen Lamborghini seven years later it is off the books and you could re-register it and drive it! Seven years from the last registration date And or stolen or missing date
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 02:38 PM   #12
YourfirstcarLLC
Rep

Quote:
LLC,
How is your ride, any issues so far?
Fun till HPFP went up couple weeks ago jus waiting for warranty to kick in so I can send it in to be fixed outside of that replaced back tires driver side rear airbag she was golden till the HPFP 🤷🏽*♂️🤷🏽*♂️
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 02:40 PM   #13
YourfirstcarLLC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebtahi98 View Post
I'll take it lol / Connecticut statues a car after seven years you could get a replace title and register it put it this way if you have a stolen Lamborghini seven years later it is off the books and you could re-register it and drive it! Seven years from the last registration date And or stolen or missing date
I'm assuming you have to be CT resident to register it
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 09:56 AM   #14
Ebtahi98
Master Seargant with marksmanship
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW13E70X5M720?hpAudi2003RS66+

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
1989/2000/2006/2018 ...  [0.00]
2004 Audi RS6   [0.00]
2002 BMW Z8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourfirstcarLLC View Post
Quote:
I have a feeling some other states have adopted this law ? I'd assume so ? - and yes I believe you would need a CT (address) - so yes and no - it's doable ..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 12:06 AM   #15
YourfirstcarLLC
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourfirstcarLLC View Post
Quote:
I have a feeling some other states have adopted this law ? I'd assume so ? - and yes I believe you would need a CT (address) - so yes and no - it's doable ..
Hmm 🤔
Appreciate 0