XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-13-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
veearrsix
Private
Rep
Drives: 02 Porsche Turbo, Polar Silver

New turbo pressure convertor wrong size

I have a 2008 3.0sd. Recently I have lost a bunch of power at low revs, which picks up once revs rise over 2500rpm. A bit of searching suggests the issue might be either perished vacuum hoses or a faulty pressure convertor.

Whilst its a bit of a faff to fit and not massively expensive I thought I would just fit a new one whilst renewing the hoses, more as preventative maintenance as there were no error codes thrown for this component.

However, the new one that is now suggested by realoem is massively different in size, so much so that whilst it will fit in the space where the old one was (its actually smaller), the electrical connection fouls another mounting stud used by another component.

The pressure convertor is #1 on the diagram.

Heres the comparison:

Heres the new convertors where it would foul the stud:

OK, enough back story. My question is... How on earth am I supposed to put it all back together if the new convertor blocks a stud? Also if I didn't have any error codes is it likely the only issue was the rotten pipes and the old convertor is actually fine?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 03:47 PM   #2
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

Just use one bolt. Its for mounting and doesn’t harm any performance. When looking on RealOEM sometime it say use in conjunction with new bracket part xxx. I recently changed my solenoid and it’s a new different style that only 1 bolt would mount on the old bracket(x5m).
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 06:01 AM   #3
KmanOz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E70 3.0d

Hi

I had the exact same issue on a 2008 e70 3.0d. This is what I needed to replace. It's under the intake manifold which needs to be removed.

Car pulls like new. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25427107...m=254271072356

Kman
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:31 AM   #4
veearrsix
Private
Rep
Drives: 02 Porsche Turbo, Polar Silver

I have purchased a new solenoid, its the fact it doesn't fit that I can't quite get my head around. That one you linked looks like it will fit no problem. I think it will have to bodge it and just use 1 nut.

Shame I didn't find one of those copies before, I paid double for a pierburg one, well its supposed to be a pierburg one.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 12:37 AM   #5
KmanOz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E70 3.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by veearrsix View Post
I have purchased a new solenoid, its the fact it doesn't fit that I can't quite get my head around. That one you linked looks like it will fit no problem. I think it will have to bodge it and just use 1 nut.

Shame I didn't find one of those copies before, I paid double for a pierburg one, well its supposed to be a pierburg one.
The one I linked is the exact same product. Not sure what you bought there. OK sorry for confusion.
Appreciate 0