XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-11-2024, 11:08 AM   #1
DialedIn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70 & E92

Dynamic Drive System malfunction - 5D4D

So I had this error message pop up twice in the past month, and now it is on constantly.

5D4D ARS: Direction valve

I'm ordering a new generator and voltage regulator hoping that will fix it. I believe the generator on the car is the one from factory so it is due for a change.

Could it be anything else?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 10:19 AM   #2
DialedIn
Private First Class
Rep

Update, so I installed a new Valeo (identical to the original) generator and voltage regulator, but no difference.

The 5D4D code pops right back up after I have cleared the Error memory the moment I start the engine.

ARS: Direction valve

Any ideas?

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 06:20 AM   #3
DialedIn
Private First Class
Rep

I can't find any info on repairs for the error code 5D4D. Googling I only find people having 5D65, similar codes, but they are not the same.

5D65 ARS: Position, direction valve
5D4D ARS: Direction valve

Maybe my code is for the solenoid itself and the 5D65 code for the position sensor? :S

So I located the Dynamic Drive valve block (it is behind the passenger side skirt and has a little access panel right under it) and the Direction Valve. 1 in photo below. I removed the solenoid and checked so that the valve in the valve block moved freely. It moves freely, the wiring looks good. Nothing weird.

I gave the valve block a bunch of light hits with a hammer, hoping that if anything is seized it would become free. No change.

I guess I am down to 4 possible causes;

1) Wiring (unlikely as it looks good)
2) The Valve block itself
3) Directional valve solenoid being bad
4) Valve position sensor being bad

I have ordered a used valve block with all the solenoids and sensors to swap in. It seems to be the default solution. Which if it works, I will have no idea what the issue was or what solved it specifically. Well well..

I will also do a full fluid flush and reservoir (filter) change while I am at it.

Last edited by DialedIn; 04-22-2024 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 07:06 PM   #4
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

Appreciate the updates even though no one is chiming in. Active suspension was a pretty rare option on the e70, so not a whole lot of communal knowledge out there
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 01:36 AM   #5
DialedIn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs531 View Post
Appreciate the updates even though no one is chiming in. Active suspension was a pretty rare option on the e70, so not a whole lot of communal knowledge out there
If anyone has this weird issue 5D4D in the future, this thread will be on top of the search results. It is a record for others and myself If the issue returns.

I realize now how great the Dynamic Drive system, going in a straight line it feels like you don't have sway bars, it just soaks up all the bumps. But going around corners it is like having a sway bar on crack, it makes the big heavy SUV feel light and nimble.

Last edited by DialedIn; 04-23-2024 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 11:28 AM   #6
Spaceme1117
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DialedIn View Post
If anyone has this weird issue 5D4D in the future, this thread will be on top of the search results. It is a record for others and myself If the issue returns.

I realize now how great the Dynamic Drive system, going in a straight line it feels like you don't have sway bars, it just soaks up all the bumps. But going around corners it is like having a sway bar on crack, it makes the big heavy SUV feel light and nimble.
So you were able to fix the problem?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 02:22 PM   #7
DialedIn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
So you were able to fix the problem?
I received the new (used) Dynamic Drive valve block, and while still waiting for the new reservoir/filter, I only swapped over the new directional valve solenoid. No change. I was really hoping it was the directional valve solenoid that was bad..

I guess I am down to 3 possible issues.

Wiring seem more and more likely. There is two connectors hiding behind the front passenger wheel arch.

I have a hard time imagining that these are damaged, but I have to have a look at them. Taking the wheel arch lining out seems like a tricky job though.

I already found the Dynamic Drive computer box in the dash and checked that connector out and it looked good.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 02:42 PM   #8
DialedIn
Private First Class
Rep

So I finally solved it! - It was a dead wire for the Direction Valve.

I brought out a multimeter and tested the plug from the wheel arch to the valve block, everything was fine. I then tested from the wheel well to the computer box and lo and behold one of the two wires for the Direction Valve is dead.

There is yellow/black and a blue/black wire for the Direction valve and the blue/black is dead. It is broken somewhere between the computer box behind the glove box and the wheel well. It is almost impossible to see anything in under the dash so no smoking gun to take a photo of.

I know this is the issue as I spliced in a new cable temporarily and the error code was gone.

This was after I swapped in the new Dynamic Drive valve block with all new sensors and solenoids.

Side note, removing the wheel well liner is a difficult job!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 05:13 PM   #9
Spaceme1117
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DialedIn View Post
So I finally solved it! - It was a dead wire for the Direction Valve.

I brought out a multimeter and tested the plug from the wheel arch to the valve block, everything was fine. I then tested from the wheel well to the computer box and lo and behold one of the two wires for the Direction Valve is dead.

There is yellow/black and a blue/black wire for the Direction valve and the blue/black is dead. It is broken somewhere between the computer box behind the glove box and the wheel well. It is almost impossible to see anything in under the dash so no smoking gun to take a photo of.

I know this is the issue as I spliced in a new cable temporarily and the error code was gone.

This was after I swapped in the new Dynamic Drive valve block with all new sensors and solenoids.

Side note, removing the wheel well liner is a difficult job!
That is awesome! Nice job.
Appreciate 1
DialedIn119.00
      Yesterday, 04:15 AM   #10
DialedIn
Private First Class
Rep

So I spliced in a new cable seperate from the wiring loom and ran it from the wheel well through the firewall to the computer box behind the glove box.

And now it works again, I ran through the ARS initialization without issue.

I guess "open line" really meant broken wire and the answer was staring me in the face the entire time. Well well I managed to fix it and only waste like 500€.

Last edited by DialedIn; Yesterday at 04:24 AM..
Appreciate 0