XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > X5 Photo/Video/Audio Gallery

11-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #45
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
I wish this would happen mine, no license holes in the bumper and power done hood, LED headlights...
Power dome crossed my mind...might make it more desirable when/if I sell.
Yes! Very good idea. I feel the X5M really needs the power dome hood. I'm looking for one too.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #46
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Time to start the documentation...Day 25

I thought I'd start sharing my experience with this situation. Maybe something can be taken away that helps others, obviously I could have used some help. And eventually I will sell and I can transparently point them to this thread that captures the details.

Reflecting at day 25: I've still yet to get a claim number b/c of the insurance company's investigation. Police report and witnesses align with my statement, so I should be getting a claim number soon; TX law says a claim decision should be forthcoming within 15 days or an extension request should be asked of me. I understand there are loopholes here to extend it to ~60 days. While writing this I got a vmail from the driver's insurance that says we're moving forward with a claim...will confirm tomorrow since after business horus.

LESSON'S LEARNED TO THIS POINT:
1. At the accident, I asked to tow directly to my shop, but I would have had to pay the tow truck cash and I didn't have all of it on me. I should have asked them to drive me to an ATM. I didn't, so off to the Storage Lot.

2. Do not leave your car in the Storage Lot for too long. @ $75/day insurance companies will not pay if you leave it there for weeks and you'll get stuck with the excess cost. I paid to take mine out the next day. I used my insurance's emergency roadside service to cover the tow to my shop. Most of you have this, always good to check. The claim representative said that if I was found not at fault, they would reimburse me. [EDIT] Also when I showed up to transfer my car they were relocating a Lexus with a forklift! Apparently this is the preferred method to move your car around their lot. With this in mind, have it taken straight to the shop, avoid storage. I don't think mine was moved this way because it was drive-able and/or could be rolled as needed. Nonetheless I asked the shop to closely inspect for any sign of this activity.

3. The other driver's insurance company called me within an hour and gave me a liability claim (not a property claim) to go to the doctor. I did, even though I was just sore, better safe than sorry.

4. Rental Car! W/o a property claim I waited 9 days to decide to get a rental car. I should have gotten one immediately. Tell rental agency it's due to an accident, they have different (lower) rates knowing that a large insurance company will eventually be paying. My insurance wouldn't give me a rental unless I was ready to open a claim on my insurance...and I wasn't ready at that time. At day 20, the Claim Rep, confirmed they would pay for my rental and reimburse me what I had expended so far. Certain Insurance companies have deals with certain rental agencies, check and go to the right one to make things easier down the line. At day 25 I found out that the Insurance Companies are supposed to offer an equivalent vehicle to that which was damaged AND pay for 'loss of use'...that being the 9 days I didn't have a vehicle. IF I use someone else's car and don't get a rental, I'm still entitled to be paid the daily allotment.

5. At day 20 I was ready to make a claim on my insurance and just pay the deductible. In fact, on that day, I was wishing I had just made a claim on my insurance back on Day 1...that would have made things much easier to this point. However, two things happened that kept this action at bay. First the Insurance Company was leaning toward deciding in my favor and second, I called my shop and asked which insurance company was better when dealing with the adjuster and OEM parts. My shop said they had better experience dealing with the other driver's insurance. So I waited...but there was another variable to consider that I hadn't yet learned about....see #6 below.

6. Diminished Value. I was recommended the name of an expert in managing diminished value of vehicles. It wasn't long ago that TX didn't allow this, but apparently it now does. This activity doesn't start until AFTER the car is repaired. He asked me which insurance was paying and I told him the other driver's insurance. He indicated that was one of the companies that was most difficult to work with. I also found out I can't request diminished value if I was at fault OR (I think I heard correctly) if I go through my insurance. Definitely ask the questions and get this right BEFORE making a claim on your own insurance.

LESSONS LEARNED UPDATES 17FEB2019
7. Maximum Policy Value. There are usually two policies that will be used in a claim: Property and Personal Injury. Before going to for ASK what the policy holder's maximum policy value is for Property. In my case, I find out at the end that the maximum property policy value is $25K. All the repairs ended up costing just under that and it left me holding the bag for the $650 ceramic coat AND the diminished value claim. You have two choices at this point. 1) Sue the driver that is responsible for the accident or 2) Check your own policy to see if you're covered for UNINSURED/UNDERINSURED MOTORIST COVERAGE (property/personal injury). In my case, opening a claim on U/UM does not impact my policy or my zero claim discount. You need to know this value before you start. Luckily all the supplemental claims on my repair had been paid, if not then I might have received a bill from the shop for the remaining cost. Make sure you have this coverage and make sure you know the maximum value so you and the shop can plan appropriately.

8. Rental Car, Again. This cost goes against the property policy, so in my case $36XX of rental car was used with 6-7 weeks of that due to the Insurance Company's investigation. If the property policy is low, manage this aspect. See if your policy will cover this w/o impacting you negatively. There might even be some separate coverage for rental car on your personal policy.

NOTABLE DAMAGE:
1. THE GOOD. She's drive-able around the shop. The leaking coolant at the accident was due to the displaced hoses on the aux radiator (shown dangling). I only have a CEL light and that's due to the intakes being removed. It's not been decided yet, but I don't think this will get totaled...seems unlikely. I'm pretty picky and my shop is equally thorough, so I'm confident this will be put back together 100% if not better. The shop will be helping me organize all documentation to clearly show what was repaired/replaced/etc for future resale.

2. The pic below shows the stack of broken parts on the shelves that were removed from my vehicle, sans big stuff like the hood, aux radiator, front left wheel, front wiring harness, and suspension parts. There are 3 pages of actual parts, fasteners, etc. All of these to be replaced with new OEM parts.

Name:  IMG_1695_resized.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  110.4 KB

3. The left side apron will need to be replaced. This involves cutting, welding, riveting, and bolting the new apron.

Name:  IMG_1706_resized.jpg
Views: 1353
Size:  153.8 KB

4. The left side frame rail is slightly bent ~1/8". This will need to be realigned back to certified bmw specs. Thankfully this does not need replacing. (IF it did need replacing, this would require engine removal and would probably tip this over the 65%-70% of cash value).

5. Obvious suspension damage including tie rod, sway bar, and control arm. These will be replaced with new OEM parts. Then an alignment will tell if there are other parts that need replacing.

Name:  IMG_1705_resized.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  128.3 KB

6. My shop explained that the damage listed above to the apron and rail is not considered insignificant, from a crash damage perspective. But it's all repairable.

Name:  IMG_1703_resized.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  137.7 KB

Last edited by argento; 02-17-2019 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: Minor edits for clarification; reordered pix;
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 11:44 PM   #47
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
I thought I'd start sharing my experience with this situation. Maybe something can be taken away that helps others, obviously I could have used some help. And eventually I will sell and I can transparently point them to this thread that captures the details.

Reflecting at day 25: I've still yet to get a claim number b/c of the insurance company's investigation. Police report and witnesses align with my statement, so I should be getting a claim number soon; TX law says a claim decision should be forthcoming within 15 days or an extension request should be asked of me. I understand there are loopholes here to extend it to ~60 days. While writing this I got a vmail from the driver's insurance that says we're moving forward with a claim...will confirm tomorrow since after business horus.

LESSON'S LEARNED TO THIS POINT:
1. At the accident, I asked to tow directly to my shop, but I would have had to pay the tow truck cash and I didn't have all of it on me. I should have asked them to drive me to an ATM. I didn't, so off to the Storage Lot.

2. Do not leave your car in the Storage Lot for too long. @ $75/day insurance companies will not pay if you leave it there for weeks and you'll get stuck with the excess cost. I paid to take mine out the next day. I used my insurance's emergency roadside service to cover the tow to my shop. Most of you have this, always good to check. The claim representative said that if I was found not at fault, they would reimburse me.

3. The other driver's insurance company called me within an hour and gave me a liability claim (not a property claim) to go to the doctor. I did, even though I was just sore, better safe than sorry.

4. Rental Car! W/o a property claim I waited 9 days to decide to get a rental car. I should have gotten one immediately. Tell rental agency it's due to an accident, they have different (lower) rates knowing that a large insurance company will eventually be paying. My insurance wouldn't give me a rental unless I was ready to open a claim on my insurance...and I wasn't ready at that time. At day 20, the Claim Rep, confirmed they would pay for my rental and reimburse me what I had expended so far. Certain Insurance companies have deals with certain rental agencies, check and go to the right one to make things easier down the line. At day 25 I found out that the Insurance Companies are supposed to offer an equivalent vehicle to that which was damaged AND pay for 'loss of use'...that being the 9 days I didn't have a vehicle. IF I use someone else's car and don't get a rental, I'm still entitled to be paid the daily allotment.

5. At day 20 I was ready to make a claim on my insurance and just pay the deductible. In fact, on that day, I was wishing I had just made a claim on my insurance back on Day 1...that would have made things much easier to this point. However, two things happened that kept this action at bay. First the Insurance Company was leaning toward deciding in my favor and second, I called my shop and asked which insurance company was better when dealing with the adjuster and OEM parts. My shop said they had better experience dealing with the other driver's insurance. So I waited...but there was another variable to consider that I hadn't yet learned about....see #6 below.

6. Diminished Value. I was recommended the name of an expert in managing diminished value of vehicles. It wasn't long ago that TX didn't allow this, but apparently it now does. This activity doesn't start until AFTER the car is repaired. He asked me which insurance was paying and I told him the other driver's insurance. He indicated that was one of the companies that was most difficult to work with. I also found out I can't request diminished value if I was at fault OR (I think I heard correctly) if I go through my insurance. Definitely ask the questions and get this right BEFORE making a claim on your own insurance.

NOTABLE DAMAGE:
1. THE GOOD. She's drive-able around the shop. The leaking coolant at the accident was due to the displaced hoses on the aux radiator (shown dangling). I only have a CEL light and that's due to the intakes being removed. It's not been decided yet, but I don't think this will get totaled...seems unlikely. I'm pretty picky and my shop is equally thorough, so I'm confident this will be put back together 100% if not better. The shop will be helping me organize all documentation to clearly show what was repaired/replaced/etc for future resale.

2. The pic below shows the stack of broken parts on the shelves that were removed from my vehicle, sans big stuff like the hood, aux radiator, front left wheel, front wiring harness, and suspension parts. There are 3 pages of actual parts, fasteners, etc. All of these to be replaced with new OEM parts.

Attachment 1935890

3. The left side apron will need to be replaced. This involves cutting, welding, riveting, and bolting the new apron.

Attachment 1935892

4. The left side frame rail is slightly bent ~1/8". This will need to be realigned back to certified bmw specs. Thankfully this does not need replacing. (IF it did need replacing, this would require engine removal and would probably cost might tip this over the 65%-70% of cash value).

5. Obvious suspension damage including tie rod, sway bar, and control arm. These will be replaced with new OEM parts. Then an alignment will tell if there are other parts that need replacing.

Attachment 1935903

6. My shop explained that the damage listed above to the apron and rail is not considered insignificant, from a crash damage perspective. But it's all repairable.

Attachment 1935891
Man, I was praying you wouldnt post those pics LOL. Looks like you are on track and hopefully everything will be repaired and car will be back to its former beauty soon.

On another note i think you can help me out with something. PM incoming.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #48
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
I thought I'd start sharing my experience with this situation.
very helpful info and good luck with the progress!
Appreciate 1
argento527.50
      11-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #49
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
Quote:
I thought I'd start sharing my experience with this situation.
very helpful info and good luck with the progress!
Yes indeed, much appreciated info. It's becoming harder and harder to point the finger nowadays and get insurance to cover things they should. This is why I recommend a dash cam if you don't have one. I have my setup in my journal. Nothing expensive, but works great
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #50
argento
Captain
Rep

Documentation...DAY 30

Received a claim on Day 26, so waiting on adjuster to go by the shop. Assuming repairs proceed, my plan is to install the power dome hood. According to the claims advisor, the reason they don't have to pay for extended storage is that by law I have a duty to mitigate costs. I'd never heard that before, but now I know my duty, lol.

I also am tinkering with the idea of adding the rear diffuser to compliment the 3.5" black cerakoted exhaust tips. Which, btw, I found out on pickup that they could have imprinted any design ("///M", but camo is their specialty) in cerakote. Between the tips, stripping, and coating cost, these are already gold-paid pyrite-value tips...but adding the M could be nice. We'll see...
      11-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #51
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Received a claim on Day 26, so waiting on adjuster to go by the shop. Assuming repairs proceed, my plan is to install the power dome hood. According to the claims advisor, the reason they don't have to pay for extended storage is that by law I have a duty to mitigate costs. I'd never heard that before, but now I know my duty, lol.

I also am tinkering with the idea of adding the rear diffuser to compliment the 3.5" black cerakoted exhaust tips. Which, btw, I found out on pickup that they could have imprinted any design ("///M", but camo is their specialty) in cerakote. Between the tips, stripping, and coating cost, these are already gold-paid pyrite-value tips...but adding the M could be nice. We'll see...
That's good news bud. Can you send me the link for the tips? I really need to do them on my X5M
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 03:08 PM   #52
9vapors
Major
Rep

Awesome man, I'm excited for the powerdome hood, I absolutely love that look...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 08:44 PM   #53
argento
Captain
Rep

Documentation Day 32...

No news today, but...I created this Functional Checklist...still adding more...let me know if you think of others.

On 50-51, should ride ht be the same all around? Isn't the right side lower?

Name:  Functional Checkout_X5M.png
Views: 1377
Size:  48.0 KB
      11-20-2018, 12:52 AM   #54
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
No news today, but...I created this Functional Checklist...still adding more...let me know if you think of others.

On 50-51, should ride ht be the same all around? Isn't the right side lower?

Attachment 1940562
Good list. Wish I could have gotten that left led headlight.

My ride height is all the same now after installing the H&R kit
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 09:46 AM   #55
argento
Captain
Rep

Documentation...Day 42

Finally getting some tangible movement. If I haven't mentioned yet, the car will be repaired by the other driver's insurance. Parts to be ordered tomorrow and expected in next week. Received reimbursements for rental car and storage fee. Once they get to work, I'll be able to stop and get some pix of the repairs.

In the meantime, I'm living vicariously through the other build threads here...
      11-29-2018, 09:56 AM   #56
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Finally getting some tangible movement. If I haven't mentioned yet, the car will be repaired by the other driver's insurance. Parts to be ordered tomorrow and expected in next week. Received reimbursements for rental car and storage fee. Once they get to work, I'll be able to stop and get some pix of the repairs.

sounds like the process moving in the right direction!
keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 01:47 PM   #57
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:

Excellent. Good luck bud. Hopefully your X5M will be up and running soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #58
argento
Captain
Rep

Documentation...DAY 57

Getting closer...doing things right takes time and the shop has been amazing. It's great not having to worry about the work being performed less than perfect. Below are some pix I took on Tuesday.

The takeaway for this update is that once they got in there the damage was more repairable than first thought. The apron was returned to spec, which means the arduous effort to remove dash, cut old apron, weld and fasten new apron was spared.

Snapped pix of the hood being test fit with only the interior side painted. You can see some suspension parts replaced, but the suspension repair won't be complete until they get it to alignment. Wiring harnesses have been replaced with new oem harnesses. On Tuesday they completed aux radiator repair, added fluid, and immediately noticed a pump leaking the fluid. The nipple on that pump was sheared, so they'll be replacing that next. The fender and back-ordered front bumper arrived and were being prep'd for painting. It's possible I might get her back this coming week, but a lot depends on suspension repair.

Once I get her back, I'm taking her to BMW for the dinan spring install and for them to do a once-over for any issues. Then once the paint can handle it, I'll take it in for the ceramic coating of the new paint.

Name:  IMG_1837_resized.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  179.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1846_resized.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  169.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1850_resized.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  142.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1861_resized.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  148.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1842_resized.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  189.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1882_resized.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  157.6 KB
Hood shown only set on latches, not closed.

I recalled another scary lesson learned about the storage facility (will update original post). When I showed up to transfer my car days after the crash, they were relocating a Lexus with a forklift! Apparently this is the preferred method to move your car around their lot. With this in mind, have it taken straight to the shop, avoid storage. I don't think mine was moved this way because it was driveable and/or could be rolled as needed. Nonetheless I asked the shop to closely inspect for any sign of this activity.

OFF-TOPIC TEASER...In the next couple weeks the shop will have a visitor from a local customer with a 100% conversion from an E46 Wagon to an E46M3. No detail ignored. Down to removing the floor panels to make room for the exhaust and bulging quarterpanels. He's going to let me know so I can see it, I'll get some pix...

Last edited by argento; 12-15-2018 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #59
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Getting closer...doing things right takes time and the shop has been amazing. It's great not having to worry about the work being performed less than perfect. Below are some pix I took on Tuesday.

The takeaway for this update is that once they got in there the damage was more repairable than first thought. The apron was returned to spec, which means the arduous effort to remove dash, cut old apron, weld and fasten new apron was spared.

Snapped pix of the hood being test fit with only the interior side painted. You can see some suspension parts replaced, but the suspension repair won't be complete until they get it to alignment. Wiring harnesses have been replaced with new oem harnesses. On Tuesday they completed aux radiator repair, added fluid, and immediately noticed a pump leaking the fluid. The nipple on that pump was sheared, so they'll be replacing that next. The fender and back-ordered front bumper arrived and were being prep'd for painting. It's possible I might get her back this coming week, but a lot depends on suspension repair.

Once I get her back, I'm taking her to BMW for the dinan spring install and for them to do a once-over for any issues. Then once the paint can handle it, I'll take it in for the ceramic coating of the new paint.

Attachment 1954973

Attachment 1954974

Attachment 1954975

Attachment 1954976

Attachment 1954977

Attachment 1954978
Hood shown only set on latches, not closed.

I recalled another scary lesson learned about the storage facility (will update original post). When I showed up to transfer my car days after the crash, they were relocating a Lexus with a forklift! Apparently this is the preferred method to move your car around their lot. With this in mind, have it taken straight to the shop, avoid storage. I don't think mine was moved this way because it was driveable and/or could be rolled as needed. Nonetheless I asked the shop to closely inspect for any sign of this activity.

OFF-TOPIC TEASER...In the next couple weeks the shop will have a visitor from a local customer with a 100% conversion from an E46 Wagon to an E46M3. No detail ignored. Down to removing the floor panels to make room for the exhaust and bulging quarterpanels. He's going to let me know so I can see it, I'll get some pix...
It's coming along very nicely and I can see the professionalism in their work. I LOVE the hood. Since our cars are almost twins now I have to find a good to make them identical. Lol

LED headlights are here and have been dropped off today for polishing and Alamein-X clear protection film.

Wife wasn't too happy about me using the clothes hanger but couldn't stop laughing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #60
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
It's coming along very nicely and I can see the professionalism in their work. I LOVE the hood. Since our cars are almost twins now I have to find a good to make them identical. Lol

LED headlights are here and have been dropped off today for polishing and Alamein-X clear protection film.

Wife wasn't too happy about me using the clothes hanger but couldn't stop laughing.
Great to see you got your LEDs!! How thick is the film? I used to cover my headlights, but the film degraded over time and was a complete PITA to remove and clean after years. What's your take on this brand?
      12-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #61
9vapors
Major
Rep

Gonna be beautiful and better than ever! Glad it's moving along, and your plans for lowering and ceramic coating are a great move. Have them ceramic coat the calipers too!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #62
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
Gonna be beautiful and better than ever! Glad it's moving along, and your plans for lowering and ceramic coating are a great move. Have them ceramic coat the calipers too!
Agree! On purchase I coated body, calipers, wheels and wheel barrels. My favorite mod to date...always glossy. The Insurance will cover coating the new paint and new wheel.
      12-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #63
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Great to see you got your LEDs!! How thick is the film? I used to cover my headlights, but the film degraded over time and was a complete PITA to remove and clean after years. What's your take on this brand?
I have been using LAMIN-X for a decade now, GREAT products.

https://www.lamin-x.com/precut-film-...ht-covers.html

I am not sure of the thickness but it wasnt very thin. Its a nice decent thickness to protect the headlights against road debris and chipping etc. SInce my LED headlight lenses are not 100% polishing will bring them close to 90% so with the clear film they should look perfect. I'll have to start a journal for my X5M on here soon to show all i have done with it.
Appreciate 1
argento527.50
      12-27-2018, 08:26 AM   #64
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

The precut laminX they sell did not fit my led headlights. They only fit the xenon headlights. I'm gonna email them now to see if they can make the led headlights precut film.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 10:48 PM   #65
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The precut laminX they sell did not fit my led headlights. They only fit the xenon headlights. I'm gonna email them now to see if they can make the led headlights precut film.
Thanks for the update. Let us know what you find out.

My car is in final QC.

Last edited by argento; 12-29-2018 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2018, 05:17 AM   #66
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks foe the update. Let us know what you find out.

My car is in final QC.
They got back to me immediately, they have requested some pics etc which I'll be sending to them tomorrow.
Appreciate 0