XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
eric giles
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C

E70 Pre-LCI Gear selector/GWS replacement...coding required?

I have the opportunity to purchase an '08 pre-LCI 3.0 X5 with adaptive drive and sport button for the transmission (sport package equipped). One of the issues is that the gear shifter/selector lever (GWS) if physically broken internally...it won't spring back to position, and it will not select any gear. It just flops back and forth.

I currently own an '07 3.0 X5, that also has sport package and adaptive drive. Before I purchase the '08, I want to be able to actually get it into gear and verify that it will move under it's own power. Can I swap the gear selector assembly from my '07 into the '08 without having it recoded, just as a test to see if it will work? I have verified that both gear shifter assemblies use the same part number. I have read that some pre-LCI GWS modules do not need to be recoded, but would like to make sure beforehand.
Appreciate 0