XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-13-2022, 08:57 AM   #1
Rockstar_Lynne
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 35I

****UPDATE!!!****
MY MECHANIC SAID THAT MY ENGINE SEIZED! NO OIL!! BMW DIDN'T PUT OIL IN IT AFTER THEY SUPPOSEDLY CHANGED IT. THEY MUST'VE DRAINED IT AND FORGOT THE REST! NOW THE FIGHT BEGINS!!!

I bought a 2011 X6 35i four weeks ago today. The car is in absolutely pristine condition. Everyone asks if its new and can't believe its that old. Low mileage for the year. Three weeks ago I took it to BMW for an oil change and a few other things. I was concerned about the age of the car and as a first time owner I wanted them to check everything out. They changed a daytime running light, gas cap, oil and told me about a few rubber items that needed replaced but overall the car is sound and in excellent shape. Since then the check engine light came on and it was only a DTML pump and purge pump. Both were changed by my husband. He wants to tune it and remove the smog sensors but that's for another thread. I have had new tires and TMS put on. Overall I am in love with this car and I cannot imagine ever owning another make. I ride a Harley and have always driven sports cars however this is a whole other level. I realize a 2011 doesn't have the up to date advances of a newer model but I'm pleased with what it offers.
Now with that being said we had an unexpected issue Saturday that left my car in the shop and us stranded in the Arkansas 110 degree heat. We had been out doing errands and we noticed that the AC wasn't blowing as cold as it should. I also noticed that warm air was coming from the bottom vents. I googled it and it seemed to be a common BMW issue. I set everything to AUTO as recommended yet it didn't seem to get a whole lot better. My husband said he'd get it serviced. Next we noticed a light ticking when accelerating (like cards in bike spokes) we decided to head home so he could see what was going on. The car was running fine! When we exited i40 the car DIED no warning! There was a message on the screen but all I caught was something about driving in curves. We could not get the car in neutral! We were STUCK! Several people stopped as we waited for roadside assistance. Several had suggestions about where to find the override for the gear shift but we had no luck. I sat and googled looking for reasons why it was ticking, dying and where this override was. All things pointed to alternator. BMW had told us the battery was good. We tried jumping it several times with no luck. Our wonderful roadside (insert sarcasm) sent a battery jump and no tow truck like I had requested. It was an awful afternoon. Now in hindsight I recall twice last week seeing a very quick message that read Increased Battery Discharge. This was a very fast message only when I started it first thing in the morning. In my research I did see where leaving an auxiliary item plugged in the port in the center console could run your battery low?
Hopefully my mechanic will figure out today what the issue is and that it is only the alternator or something better. Can you direct me to an override for the shifter in case this happens for any reason. what I did find is that the cup holder has some sort of bottom that comes out and it had nothing under it. A police officer removed the trim around the shifter and that didn't provide an easy way, I wouldn't allow them to go further.
Sorry for the long post, I would appreciate the advice.
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 10:45 AM   #2
Allen Aquino
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWM8 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar_Lynne View Post
****UPDATE!!!****
MY MECHANIC SAID THAT MY ENGINE SEIZED! NO OIL!! BMW DIDN'T PUT OIL IN IT AFTER THEY SUPPOSEDLY CHANGED IT. THEY MUST'VE DRAINED IT AND FORGOT THE REST! NOW THE FIGHT BEGINS!!!

I bought a 2011 X6 35i four weeks ago today. The car is in absolutely pristine condition. Everyone asks if its new and can't believe its that old. Low mileage for the year. Three weeks ago I took it to BMW for an oil change and a few other things. I was concerned about the age of the car and as a first time owner I wanted them to check everything out. They changed a daytime running light, gas cap, oil and told me about a few rubber items that needed replaced but overall the car is sound and in excellent shape. Since then the check engine light came on and it was only a DTML pump and purge pump. Both were changed by my husband. He wants to tune it and remove the smog sensors but that's for another thread. I have had new tires and TMS put on. Overall I am in love with this car and I cannot imagine ever owning another make. I ride a Harley and have always driven sports cars however this is a whole other level. I realize a 2011 doesn't have the up to date advances of a newer model but I'm pleased with what it offers.
Now with that being said we had an unexpected issue Saturday that left my car in the shop and us stranded in the Arkansas 110 degree heat. We had been out doing errands and we noticed that the AC wasn't blowing as cold as it should. I also noticed that warm air was coming from the bottom vents. I googled it and it seemed to be a common BMW issue. I set everything to AUTO as recommended yet it didn't seem to get a whole lot better. My husband said he'd get it serviced. Next we noticed a light ticking when accelerating (like cards in bike spokes) we decided to head home so he could see what was going on. The car was running fine! When we exited i40 the car DIED no warning! There was a message on the screen but all I caught was something about driving in curves. We could not get the car in neutral! We were STUCK! Several people stopped as we waited for roadside assistance. Several had suggestions about where to find the override for the gear shift but we had no luck. I sat and googled looking for reasons why it was ticking, dying and where this override was. All things pointed to alternator. BMW had told us the battery was good. We tried jumping it several times with no luck. Our wonderful roadside (insert sarcasm) sent a battery jump and no tow truck like I had requested. It was an awful afternoon. Now in hindsight I recall twice last week seeing a very quick message that read Increased Battery Discharge. This was a very fast message only when I started it first thing in the morning. In my research I did see where leaving an auxiliary item plugged in the port in the center console could run your battery low?
Hopefully my mechanic will figure out today what the issue is and that it is only the alternator or something better. Can you direct me to an override for the shifter in case this happens for any reason. what I did find is that the cup holder has some sort of bottom that comes out and it had nothing under it. A police officer removed the trim around the shifter and that didn't provide an easy way, I wouldn't allow them to go further.
Sorry for the long post, I would appreciate the advice.
Thank you
So sorry to hear that 😢
Appreciate 1
Mosset0.00
      07-10-2022, 07:47 PM   #3
black_beast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M, 05' 4.8is, 18' GLE350

Bummer news, any updates?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 10:30 AM   #4
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

To manual emergency release of parking lock is only accessible from underneath the vehicle. You would have to remove under panel and then screw in the hex bolt next to the transmission. Then the transmission will release itself into neutral.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 11:17 PM   #5
TTV8M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 AMG GLE53, '10 X6M

Garage List
2023 AMG GLE53  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
Did you try lifting up the rubber in the cup holders? There's a round port there where you insert the orange handle tool from the trunk, turn it, and it releases the transmission (neutral)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 11:19 PM   #6
TTV8M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 AMG GLE53, '10 X6M

Garage List
2023 AMG GLE53  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
Appreciate 0