XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-12-2020, 09:05 PM   #67
Aferanova
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X6 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbu001 View Post
Oh well. My order did not ship and the processing time expired.
Bilboftaggins - where are you thinking of ordering from? Tempted to just order from 4x4 Shop. Any other suggestions from others?
Yea in my case they didn’t post the real tracking number until after the shipping deadline. However it did ship fedex international priority and arrived about2-3 days after shipping! Maybe try waiting another few days?

I just got it installed 2 days ago and having a good experience so far. I had the fiber optic cables, and the top hifi amp, and did need to use the aux line. Came with no directions but figured out from watching other videos online and piecing together. The hardest part was running the aux to center console.

Sounds through the aux actually sounds really good though I think the navigation speaking could be better quality, but that’s no big deal.

Still testing the unit but with phone calls I had one where person in the car sounded very faint (I think it’s using the built in min on Android unit), and another call which my wife said sounded fine.

If the android mic is too faint for calls, I’m looking into microphones I can put into the dome lamp with the OEM one and wire to android.

Wireless CarPlay built in works great but takes a few seconds to load. In general startup loading is longer than factory screen.

Still trying to figure out the screen mirroring and all the features.

The 1920x720 screen is extremely clear and looks great. I would also get the faster processor since mine even with snapdragon feels like it could be faster at times.
Appreciate 3
argento527.50
Nyc Dito112.50
      06-12-2020, 09:13 PM   #68
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Quote:
Oh well. My order did not ship and the processing time expired.
Bilboftaggins - where are you thinking of ordering from? Tempted to just order from 4x4 Shop. Any other suggestions from others?
Ordered mine from aliexpress seller "Kanor" and had no issues.

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 09:15 PM   #69
Aferanova
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryantaz View Post
Ordered mine from aliexpress seller "Kanor" and had no issues.

-Rich
And I bought from from Shenzhen east deals technology from bilbo’s link
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #70
Aferanova
Private
Rep

The unit i got is really nice. 2 issues i'm still working on:

1 - Microphone quality through carplay. I'm considering a few options for external mics - Fiscon or Enfig Mics in the overhead lamp area so nothing is seen, a lavalier mic that i could clip on somewhere conspicuous, or any other options anyone suggests.
I dont want to use the OEM side for bluetooth calls because i like using carplay exclusively and dont want to have to be switching.

2 - Screen mirroring. It seems i have to be connected to my phone on wifi for the screen mirroring to work, but not sure if this is how it should be.
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2020, 11:52 PM   #71
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Thanks for the update. So is the existing mic completely unusable?
      06-15-2020, 02:05 PM   #72
subbu001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I reordered with the same company as the first link in the forum based on the fast shipping.

I have spent the last 2 weeks trying to see how the Audio wire can be run from the front panel all the way to the center armrest in the middle so that it can be plugged into the Aux. Most videos just partially refer to this portion of the installation and do not provide details.

I think - you run the Audio cable from the front dash to the Pax side of the Central Console and go below the carpet. i.e. no need to go into the glove box right? Then you run along the carpet towards the Center Armrest Box. Here is where I get stuck. I do not know how to get into the center armrest box from here.

Are there any drawings or instructions on how to do this? Or can I request others to share their experience?

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 03:43 PM   #73
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I reordered with the same company as the first link in the forum based on the fast shipping.

I have spent the last 2 weeks trying to see how the Audio wire can be run from the front panel all the way to the center armrest in the middle so that it can be plugged into the Aux. Most videos just partially refer to this portion of the installation and do not provide details.

I think - you run the Audio cable from the front dash to the Pax side of the Central Console and go below the carpet. i.e. no need to go into the glove box right? Then you run along the carpet towards the Center Armrest Box. Here is where I get stuck. I do not know how to get into the center armrest box from here.

Are there any drawings or instructions on how to do this? Or can I request others to share their experience?

Thank you in advance.
This isn't too bad to do. First Tape off your trim where you plan to leverage and also tape off the back of the shifter. Next pop off the shifter console cover. Start on the front left corner and using a pry tool lift up. These are stuck on there good. Then continue around the trim pc counter clockwise. There's also a clip under the molded pocket. Next remove the four torx screws in the corners of the shift assembly. Lift it out. If you need more room, disconnect negative battery cable and remove the connectors. Easy access to route the cables once that assembly is removed. FWIW I came in from the driver side.

Next remove the front most A/V cover in the armrest...pry from the top, pops off easily. Open access. You'll need to file some holes in that panel to allow the cables to pass through. I used a triangle cross section file to start, then finished with a round file. Note that the location on the bottom right is not a good location. Go up midway on the panel instead. In the bottom right there was a thin tab on the armrest console that interferes. It's tight down there, but I used solder to melt the thin tab and remove interference.

MORE references:
Shifter Console Cover:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...nsoles/OOJi70Q

Shifter Assembly:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...nsoles/OHPF4xn

A/V Cover:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...nsoles/OQzTdAr

Name:  IMG_0373_resized.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  493.5 KB

Last edited by argento; 06-15-2020 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2020, 08:58 PM   #74
Aferanova
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
Thanks for the update. So is the existing mic completely unusable?
Sorry for the delay. I’ve been doing some testing and debating on the solution.

I’ve only tested using CarPlay. I’ve noticed a little over half the time the audio on phone calls sounds normal OEM, and the other half is really hard to hear the person in the car.

Originally I just thought the head units mic is low quality and is using that for audio. I asked xtrons who also sells the same head unit but had better customer support if theirs supports the oem microphone as it said in their description and they confirmed it does.

So I’m thinking at least some of the time this head unit is using the oem mic. To confirm today, I had a good quality phone call and with another phone played white noise all around the head unit. The person on the phone didn’t report anything odd. This confirms with me that it must be using the oem microphone sometimes.

Now my theory is sometimes it’s using the head units microphone instead. I will do the same test on a poor quality call. If this is the case I’m wondering if there’s maybe a setting somewhere to disable the built in mic? Or maybe I’ll have to cut it off. Any ideas where the mic is on this unit?
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2020, 09:07 PM   #75
Aferanova
Private
Rep

Quote:

Thank you in advance.
I’ll try to get a picture or drawing tomorrow. I had the same issues nobody shows this step! I could run the aux below the cupholders and straight back because apparently on my model to remove the cupholders I think I’d have to take out the entire center console box!

I ran a 4ft Anker aux cable Down the side, there was a gap that led to the passenger side footwell, along the side of the center console, back up into the center console in the shifter tray area, then drilled a hole into the console box.

So first I removed the 2 carpet panels on the passenger side. Then dropped the aux down the side of the compartment it’s in, so I could pull it down into passenger area. Then removed the shifter trim and tray like Argento showed. Then pushed the cable up through an existing hole into that shifter area. Then I used a 1/4” bit and drilled a hole from inside the console box through the already existing slit to lead to the shifter area. Then was able to just push the aux through that hole and plug it in. 4ft cable had about 3” to spare. It wouldn’t have been long enough for other routings.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 09:52 PM   #76
argento
Captain
Rep

[UPDATED WITH FINAL CONFIG] Here are some pix. I couldn't find a way under the cupholders, but as soon as I found the side access, I stopped looking. From behind the radio I went left to behind the carpet panel. Then there is a direct path from there up to the area under the shifter. With the Media Cover (under armrest) removed it's straight access.

Plenty of room to pass from under the shifter to the armrest console:
Name:  IMG_0643_resized.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  217.3 KB

Easy routing; same on passenger side:
Name:  IMG_0713_Resized.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  369.5 KB

Plenty of room under the shifter to store excess cable
Name:  IMG_0714_Resized.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  347.3 KB

Regarding the locations of the filed down areas highlighted by red arrows, on the Armrest console there is a thin backing that would interfere with this hole, unless you slot it more. To avoid hassle, check your backing and pick a location where there's no interference...see following pix.
Name:  Aux Input Modified.PNG
Views: 918
Size:  1.29 MB

Depending on your Aux Cable thickness you may need to max out the slot depth as shown here:
Name:  IMG_0693_Resized.jpg
Views: 917
Size:  209.9 KB

My Aux Cable was too thick so I needed to modify the armrest console as well:
Name:  IMG_0691_Resized.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  209.3 KB

Pretty rough, but hard to get to, you also want to file down some of the armrest console for the USB pass through:
Name:  IMG_0692_Resized.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  263.1 KB

All done.
Name:  IMG_0704_resized.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  247.2 KB

I went ahead and order a Mic off Amazon...I was going to install an upgraded aux cable and while back there I thought I might as well as connect a mic, in case it's needed.

Jeremy

Last edited by argento; 06-29-2020 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 2
      06-22-2020, 06:45 AM   #77
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

I have yet to reorder...but some great info posted in this thread....certainly a lot more to this than plug and play....After all all these years...decided its time to set up my vehicle for towing at capacity....I'll start a fresh thread on that...

The screen is my Pri 2 at the moment...

Thanks again to the thread contributors,,,
Appreciate 1
argento527.50
      06-22-2020, 11:13 PM   #78
Aferanova
Private
Rep

I did some more testing of the microphone issues with phone calls in CarPlay. My unit has wireless CarPlay by the way.

I noticed with one of our phones, the Bluetooth connection was dropping. CarPlay still worked as it was using wifi to connect. With Bluetooth dropped, CarPlay uses the screens microphone, I believe when the Bluetooth is connected, it uses the OEM mic. Testing is done by speaking either around the screen or near OEM mic to see if significant change in volume.

I’ll try troubleshooting the bluetooth dropping on one of the phones. But would love to have it still use OEM mic even just using CarPlay without Bluetooth.
Appreciate 2
      06-24-2020, 10:10 AM   #79
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvirgi View Post
I did some more testing of the microphone issues with phone calls in CarPlay. My unit has wireless CarPlay by the way.

I noticed with one of our phones, the Bluetooth connection was dropping. CarPlay still worked as it was using wifi to connect. With Bluetooth dropped, CarPlay uses the screens microphone, I believe when the Bluetooth is connected, it uses the OEM mic. Testing is done by speaking either around the screen or near OEM mic to see if significant change in volume.

I’ll try troubleshooting the bluetooth dropping on one of the phones. But would love to have it still use OEM mic even just using CarPlay without Bluetooth.
Look forward to the results. I purchased this mic without 100% confidence it would work. But if I can avoid installing, that would be good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks.
      06-24-2020, 10:44 AM   #80
subbu001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

An update from my end.

1. Thank you guys for posting the AUX Cable routing instructions. This is very helpful. Can I ask jvirgi to post pictures / drawings as well if possible. I plan to go via the Pax Side and go through the Shifter Console. Want to see which existing hole in the shifter console he used and also where did he drill to go into the center console.

2. I am hoping to route the AUX Cable and the 2 USBs via extensions all the way to the center. Not sure if there is enough space to do that or if anyone has tried.

3. The positive news on my order is there is DHL shipping label after a 2 day delay. But the item is yet to be received by DHL. I did get my refund on time for the last cancellation I did with the same seller. I looked at other sellers. I could not find one that offered (1) wireless Carplay, (2) 1920 screen, (3) black bezel and (4) Snapdragon. So I decided not to cancel again and stick with the Seller. The Seller keeps saying there is a shortage of HD Screens and hence the delay. Now that I have a shipping label, I am really hoping it really really ships.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 11:10 AM   #81
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Quote:
Look forward to the results. I purchased this mic without 100% confidence it would work. But if I can avoid installing, that would be good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks.
The biggest problem with aftermarket Mics is road noise. If you put it in the overhead console you will probably want to put some foam or something behind it like like a noise shield so it can't pickup noise from the roof. I had that setup with a parrot in my e46 and my father constantly complained "you sound like you are inside a tin can." I think it was more annoying for me to hear him gripe about it than it was for him.

Something like this is a good idea if putting a regular mic in the factory location:

That is why the factory one is both active and only opens into the cabin.

has anyone put a piece of tape over their head unit microphone to confirm that it really is using the signal from the factory mic?

For now I am just using the car's bluetooth (yes my father still sometimes complains).

-Rich
argento527.50
      06-24-2020, 01:40 PM   #82
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
An update from my end.

1. Thank you guys for posting the AUX Cable routing instructions. This is very helpful. Can I ask jvirgi to post pictures / drawings as well if possible. I plan to go via the Pax Side and go through the Shifter Console. Want to see which existing hole in the shifter console he used and also where did he drill to go into the center console.

2. I am hoping to route the AUX Cable and the 2 USBs via extensions all the way to the center. Not sure if there is enough space to do that or if anyone has tried.

3. The positive news on my order is there is DHL shipping label after a 2 day delay. But the item is yet to be received by DHL. I did get my refund on time for the last cancellation I did with the same seller. I looked at other sellers. I could not find one that offered (1) wireless Carplay, (2) 1920 screen, (3) black bezel and (4) Snapdragon. So I decided not to cancel again and stick with the Seller. The Seller keeps saying there is a shortage of HD Screens and hence the delay. Now that I have a shipping label, I am really hoping it really really ships.
I updated my post above with better pictures that I think answer your questions. There is plenty of space to route and roll up cable beneath the shifter area. I had the excess of my USB extensions rolled under there.

I was able to get all those options via 4x4shop.

The screen pixelation in the first image is due to me resizing the image.

Name:  IMG_E0419_resized.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  175.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0602_resized.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  315.5 KB

Last edited by argento; 06-24-2020 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2020, 01:42 PM   #83
Aferanova
Private
Rep

Quote:
An update from my end.

Good idea running the USBs there, itll be tighter, but i think you should be able to. Youll need a bigger hole to bring them through into armrest box.

Good news on the DHL #, hope you get an origination scan soon. It took mine a few days. i actually had an unrelated package coming DHL from china shipped today and i was quoted 7/6 delivery. If i were you i'd wait it out and if nothing happens you can always dispute the charge with aliexpress or your credit card.

Sorry for the delay, i just got around to taking pictures. Here's how i routed the aux Line.
Side View - Near the footwell, you can drop the aux line through the sidepanel (there are openings) in the back there with all the wiring. once pushing it through an opening i pulled it through to then route behind the carpet panels.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZwQGCDj8Tyx7Jgii9

From Side Trim to Center Console - there are openings behind the carpent panels that lead into the center console area, but it routes this way:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4oFNG6N8eaPEtNgEA

Entering the Center Console:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZBywPDA5BbqeDMNQ8

Above Center Console and into armrest - the aux comes up underneath and I was to pull it up through. i drilled the hole from the armrest to the shifter area along the dotted line. But just drilled only as far as to create a hole in the armrest box to slide the aux into.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QN6GdBgsEkp9opvLA

Inside Armrest - Here you can see the hole i brought it through. There was already a wide cutout here where the snap in phone locks into (i removed mine completely prior to this), so there was already a cutout. I just drilled one hole straight back which widened some of this section.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hSv7oEa6i9K48DYx9

Last edited by Aferanova; 06-24-2020 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 3
      06-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #84
Aferanova
Private
Rep

Quote:
I updated my post above with better pictures that I think answer your questions. There is plenty of space to route and roll up cable beneath the shifter area. I had the excess of my USB extensions rolled under there.
Nice Argento, good pictures. I like your routing better than where i drilled. I think i had trouble removing that panel. I also had issues removing the tray in my glovebox which seems impossible to remove while i see videos that show it should simply lift up with ease. I never got that out to run the USB there cleanly.
Appreciate 1
argento527.50
      06-24-2020, 10:00 PM   #85
Aferanova
Private
Rep

Quote:

Confirmed today this is indeed what’s happening; Bluetooth connection = oem mic. No BT, uses the screens mic. It was very clear testing it with both phones in car and receiving phone on mute. I tap either oem mic or screens mic and its very obvious.

Interestingly, the first phone we originally connected to BT works great and never drops the BT and uses OEM mic. The 2nd phone has consistently had the issue, I notice it will connect, then drops either immediately after or once I open carplay with the 2nd phone.

Today I tried removing the 2nd phone from the android BT and forgot the car from the phone. Re-paired it and still have same issues. Yet no issues with phone 1. I’m starting to wonder if there’s an issue with having multiple phones in the android list to pair or something.

Argento or others- is yours the same unit? Can you do the same test to check which mic it uses? And do you have issues with a 2nd phone?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #86
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Confirmed today this is indeed what’s happening; Bluetooth connection = oem mic. No BT, uses the screens mic. It was very clear testing it with both phones in car and receiving phone on mute. I tap either oem mic or screens mic and its very obvious.

Interestingly, the first phone we originally connected to BT works great and never drops the BT and uses OEM mic. The 2nd phone has consistently had the issue, I notice it will connect, then drops either immediately after or once I open carplay with the 2nd phone.

Today I tried removing the 2nd phone from the android BT and forgot the car from the phone. Re-paired it and still have same issues. Yet no issues with phone 1. I’m starting to wonder if there’s an issue with having multiple phones in the android list to pair or something.

Argento or others- is yours the same unit? Can you do the same test to check which mic it uses? And do you have issues with a 2nd phone?
Great work...very good info, thanks for testing this out. I'm in the middle of some audio testing, but will try the MIC testing next. I'm also trying to figure out a dimmer wire for a P3 gauge I just installed. Do you happen to have a list of test examples you want me to try or do you just want me to determine if my unit uses OEM MIC when connected via BT w/my phone? Then a test with a second phone connected via Monitor BT?

My version:
-(2010-2013) BMW X5 E70 Replacement 10.25” Screen
Android/GPS/WIFI/BT/A2DP/USB Multimedia for Original CIC System

-Snapdragon Qualcomm Android 10 – 4G/LTE capability
Snapdragon 625 (MSM8953)n Version Android 10 – 8 core, A53, CPU 2.0GHz, 14nmLPPn-GPU: Adreno 5-6, Support 4K HD H.264 (AVC)30FPSn-CPU: build-in Hexagon 546 DPSn- Use X9 LTE modem, support all kinds o networks (4G): LTE Category 7/13 – Support double frequency: 2.4G and 5G WIFI.n-SD Card: SD3.0, max 128GBn- Video format: MP4, AVI, MKV, WMV, MOV, FLV n- Audio Format: MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, APE, WAV
      06-25-2020, 10:34 AM   #87
Aferanova
Private
Rep

Quote:
Great work...very good info, thanks for testing this out. I'm in the middle of some audio testing, but will try the MIC testing next. I'm also trying to figure out a dimmer wire for a P3 gauge I just installed. Do you happen to have a list of test examples you want me to try or do you just want me to determine if my unit uses OEM MIC when connected via BT w/my phone? Then a test with a second phone connected via Monitor BT?
Great - is your version wired or wireless carplay? 1280 or 1920 resolution?

Testing -
Try Testing like this: You can call a 2nd phone (mute the 2nd one if you have it in the car) and listen to it. Tap your finger on the OEM mic, and tap on the side of the new screen where mic is and you'll be able to tell which one its using.
Tests:
1 - Pair 1st phone and check which mic its using during a call - Using android bluetooth
2 - Now check this same phone using carplay call to make sure its the same mic.
3 - After the call, confirm if it still shows your phone is connected in the communication section.
4 - Pair a 2nd phone and do the same testing (now calling the 1st phone).

For me, the 1st phone successfully showed OEM mic and never dropped the BT. But on the 2nd, it was dropping BT. It would initially show it connected, but then once you went to the home screen and looked at the communication section it showed no connection.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 12:13 PM   #88
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Great - is your version wired or wireless carplay? 1280 or 1920 resolution?

Testing -
Try Testing like this: You can call a 2nd phone (mute the 2nd one if you have it in the car) and listen to it. Tap your finger on the OEM mic, and tap on the side of the new screen where mic is and you'll be able to tell which one its using.
Tests:
1 - Pair 1st phone and check which mic its using during a call - Using android bluetooth
2 - Now check this same phone using carplay call to make sure its the same mic.
3 - After the call, confirm if it still shows your phone is connected in the communication section.
4 - Pair a 2nd phone and do the same testing (now calling the 1st phone).

For me, the 1st phone successfully showed OEM mic and never dropped the BT. But on the 2nd, it was dropping BT. It would initially show it connected, but then once you went to the home screen and looked at the communication section it showed no connection.

Perfect, thanks. Will do.

I have 1920 resolution and Wireless Carplay