Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum BMW loaner vehicle purchase/lease?

09-28-2020, 09:02 AM   #1
73Bavaria
Rep
Drives: 2018 “320xi”2021 X1

BMW loaner vehicle purchase/lease?

Hello all,

Anyone care to share their experiences with purchasing or leasing “loaner” cars that are coming out of service from the dealers? I am near lease end (11/20), and this seems to be an option moving forward. My concerns are that these cars are tossed around by multiple drivers for up to 4K miles. I am considering a 330i or X1.

I Appreciate your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 09:09 AM   #2
CYANiDE
First Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: X5 4.0i M Sport

It's under warranty and covered and you can usually get a deal - it's a great option for a daily. I would just check tread wear and brake pads and have they swap in new ones depending on condition.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 09:15 AM   #3
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I am generally not a fan for the same reason I wouldn't want a Hertz rental purchase. Maybe if it was an excellent car at a large discount. Only way to tell for sure is to hear what it is selling for. At some price I would buy one but if close to the same price as a one owner well kept used car I would take it over the loaner. Out of the 100 people that have used the car I don't have any idea how it was treated. I also wouldn't let random people borrow my car for the some of the same reasons.
      09-28-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I can't speak about all dealers but for us our loaners are usually in amazing shape and you can get some really good deals on them. If there is one that specd to your liking and when you look it over it looks good to you then def take advantage of it. The car will have warranty etc.. so you will be covered if anything would to arise.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3M, '12 335is, '22 540i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
I bought our '11 e90 m-sport in '13. It was a loaner at Thompson in Philly, but they sold it to me on CPO along with 2.5 years left on the maintenance program. Still have this car and it has been solid. The only non-maintenance issue to pop up was the charge pipe, which split when an idiot valet at the FLL airport abused it on wet roads.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
No concerns, go for it. I have done it for two vehicles from different brands. No regrets, no problems. Good pricing.

This comes up often and the search feature is your friend on this.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 11:28 AM   #7
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
No concerns, go for it, strong recommend. I have done it for two vehicles from different brands. No regrets, no problems. Good pricing. I would do it again, and plan to.

This comes up often and the search feature is your friend on this.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I am generally not a fan for the same reason I wouldn't want a Hertz rental purchase. Maybe if it was an excellent car at a large discount. Only way to tell for sure is to hear what it is selling for. At some price I would buy one but if close to the same price as a one owner well kept used car I would take it over the loaner. Out of the 100 people that have used the car I don't have any idea how it was treated. I also wouldn't let random people borrow my car for the some of the same reasons.
I think the issue here is what type of car. If a performance car (and there aren't a lot of them as loaners) then I would share the concern. Would users take it out and abuse it while their car was in the shop (like renters did with Hertz Shelbys)? But otherwise, I don't see a problem. Most people drive loaners to and from their work or house and not on a track.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2020, 12:17 PM   #9
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I think the issue here is what type of car. If a performance car (and there aren't a lot of them as loaners) then I would share the concern. Would users take it out and abuse it while their car was in the shop (like renters did with Hertz Shelbys)? But otherwise, I don't see a problem. Most people drive loaners to and from their work or house and not on a track.
I had a coworker that abused all rentals, this wasn't just driving fast but really stupid, from cold starts to bouncing off the redline all in the same mile, pointless down shifts that put it at redline. I found it very irritating. Cornering at high speeds doesn't hurt anything, driving fast doesn't either.

I agree he is out of the ordinary and this could happen to any used car but I will pass unless it is a great deal. At least advertised prices I don't see most loaners being cheap enough that I would consider them great deals. I've know some that love loaners and my favorite is when they say it's so much cheaper than a new car. Well it isn't a new car so that's part of it.

I will stick with buying slightly used one owner cars.

Last edited by David70; 09-28-2020 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 04:37 PM   #10
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I bought a 1 series loaner. Had it for 6 years with no problems.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      09-28-2020, 10:20 PM   #11
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
These days a loaner can't have over 5,000 miles on it to qualify for incentives as a "new" car so there's not much liability involved in terms of tires or brakes. Make sure the dealership is paying the extra to continue the Maintenance Program in your name, and lease the car since you wouldn't want to own any pedestrian BMW model out of warranty anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:41 AM   #12
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

I've taken a loner out to the dragstrip. Didn't hurt it a bit. Most of my cars have been down the 1320.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #13
pasta
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

If you're planning to lease and return at the end then absolutely do it. Especially if it's spec'd to how you like it and there's a good deal on the table.

I worked at BMW for 6 years and for the most part they were all in great shape. Sure, there's always going to be a young employee or a few customers that push it here and there but so are you, so whatever. If you're not keeping it then there's nothing to worry about with full warranty. The cars that got really pushed a lot were nice trade-ins that everyone would get all excited about - M's, nice off-brand models, etc.

F82 ///M4 | Ducati 959 Panigale

Previous: E92 335i | E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 07:40 PM   #14
73Bavaria
Rep

Thanks to all responders!
I would lease over buy, good deal a must. Have received conflicting information regarding the 36 month maintenance plan and the start date. Told it begins with the inservice date ? Could leave you a little exposed at end of lease....
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #15
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Bavaria View Post
Thanks to all responders!
I would lease over buy, good deal a must. Have received conflicting information regarding the 36 month maintenance plan and the start date. Told it begins with the inservice date ? Could leave you a little exposed at end of lease....
Technically, the maintenance does not convey to a second owner without the dealer "refreshing" it, at a cost. There is a way the dealership can get it covered, just make sure they put it in your name. It will always begin at the original in-service date but since a loaner will have only between 2,500 and 5,000 miles, you won't be that far hung-out on a lease. You're really only doing two oil services during a normal 3-year lease anyway. And what do you care if you skip the last one so you don't have to pay for an oil change?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 07:58 AM   #16
73Bavaria
Rep

Thank you
I think we’re comfortable with warranty/ maintenance ~ but will need to be a great deal. Appreciate all the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 09:40 AM   #17
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Isn’t the “included maintenance” or as BMW calls it “Ultimate Care” a little foggy?

We bought a one year old never privately titled service loaner X3 and it included Ultimate Care which I understand to be three oil changes. Each time we have had to remind the service writer that the oil change is no cost to us. It’s stupid.

Besides an oil change, what is included with the no-cost maintenance program? I am not referring to add-on or optional additional maintenance packages that can be purchased at the consumer’s discretion.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 09:59 AM   #18
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Isn’t the “included maintenance” or as BMW calls it “Ultimate Care” a little foggy?

We bought a one year old never privately titled service loaner X3 and it included Ultimate Care which I understand to be three oil changes. Each time we have had to remind the service writer that the oil change is no cost to us. It’s stupid.

Besides an oil change, what is included with the no-cost maintenance program? I am not referring to add-on or optional additional maintenance packages that can be purchased at the consumer’s discretion.
With the reduced mileage/time, never thought much of these programs as you are purchasing/leasing a vehicle that costs tens of thousands of dollars and this program at best is worth a couple of hundred.

From BMW-- https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-v...onditions.html

All model year 2017 BMW vehicles and newer sold or leased by an authorized BMW center come with BMW Ultimate Care standard for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first. Only the following maintenance items are included with BMW Ultimate Care when they are performed as outlined in the vehicle's Maintenance booklet:

Engine Oil
Engine Filter
Brake Fluid Does this ever apply in 3 years/36k miles per the manual?
Cabin Micro Filter(s)
Engine Air Filter(s)
Spark Plugs - I don't think this ever applies
Remote Control/Key Battery - I don't think this ever applies
Vehicle Check - I don't care and not sure what is actually happening.
Fuel Filter (Diesel engines only)
- Won't apply to most and does a diesel get a fuel filter in the 1st 36k miles?

3 oil changes and a cabin and an engine air filter?
      09-30-2020, 11:00 AM   #19
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I had a coworker that abused all rentals, this wasn't just driving fast but really stupid, from cold starts to bouncing off the redline all in the same mile, pointless down shifts that put it at redline. I found it very irritating. Cornering at high speeds doesn't hurt anything, driving fast doesn't either.

I agree he is out of the ordinary and this could happen to any used car but I will pass unless it is a great deal. At least advertised prices I don't see most loaners being cheap enough that I would consider them great deals. I've know some that love loaners and my favorite is when they say it's so much cheaper than a new car. Well it isn't a new car so that's part of it.

I will stick with buying slightly used one owner cars.
I feel like this is rehashing my points on the "why lease?" Thread. :-)

Great deals are out there to be had (in the Northeast you can see 15-20% discount on a loaner before incentives).

I have a 228 loaner right now - it had 26 PSI in 2 tires when I got it and I was fumbling with the iDrive and nailed a massive pothole yesterday, all while driving it around on a mostly empty tank because they gave it to me with 1/4" tank and I'm not putting more gas into it than I need.

I threw the car seat in it, and my muddy toddler was grinding his feet into the beige seats after a trip to the park.

Now the seats will probably clean off, the tire might be fine (or it'll bubble and be the dealers problem) so generally the cars are cleaned up well. But if you think those cars will get alignments, new tires, etc then the answer is no.

Leasing a loaner is still one of my best-recommended ways to drive a new luxury car for the least and most predictable amount of money, as long as the limitations of a lease structure work for your driving habits (low mileage, able to take good care of the car). You can negotiate a tremendous discount and drive a very nice car for far less than a new build would cost, and not have to deal with any of the potential long term damage that the bozo's like me driving it like a rental have put it through. If the turbo blows at 60k that'll be someone elses problem.

Visit leasehackr.com and check out the forums to get an idea of the deals you can get.

I would've gotten my X5 as a loaner if one presented itself in the right amount of time, but you're limited by inventory and in my case the BMWCCA rebate and timing of my wifes lease return made it only like a $20/mo delta between new and loaner to get her the exact options she wanted.
      09-30-2020, 12:03 PM   #20
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
I feel like this is rehashing my points on the "why lease?" Thread. :-)

Great deals are out there to be had (in the Northeast you can see 15-20% discount on a loaner before incentives).

I have a 228 loaner right now - it had 26 PSI in 2 tires when I got it and I was fumbling with the iDrive and nailed a massive pothole yesterday, all while driving it around on a mostly empty tank because they gave it to me with 1/4" tank and I'm not putting more gas into it than I need.

I threw the car seat in it, and my muddy toddler was grinding his feet into the beige seats after a trip to the park.

Now the seats will probably clean off, the tire might be fine (or it'll bubble and be the dealers problem) so generally the cars are cleaned up well. But if you think those cars will get alignments, new tires, etc then the answer is no.

Leasing a loaner is still one of my best-recommended ways to drive a new luxury car for the least and most predictable amount of money, as long as the limitations of a lease structure work for your driving habits (low mileage, able to take good care of the car). You can negotiate a tremendous discount and drive a very nice car for far less than a new build would cost,and not have to deal with any of the potential long term damage that the bozo's like me driving it like a rental have put it through. If the turbo blows at 60k that'll be someone elses problem.

Visit leasehackr.com and check out the forums to get an idea of the deals you can get.

I would've gotten my X5 as a loaner if one presented itself in the right amount of time, but you're limited by inventory and in my case the BMWCCA rebate and timing of my wifes lease return made it only like a $20/mo delta between new and loaner to get her the exact options she wanted.
I agree with the part in bold. Original post is about lease/purchase of a loaner, my statement was only that I would prefer to get a slightly used car from one owner than from a dealer loaner that let anyone that came through the door use. Leasing a loaner has it's pluses and minuses that you prefer, one being that regardless of how it was treated or how dependable it is, any problems will be covered by a warranty for the whole time you have it. Purchasing a loaner also has it's pluses and minus, same with buying slightly used and keeping it long term (my choice).

My goal is to drive a nice car (not necessarily new) minimizing overall expenses and I am ok with the added risk that comes with not having a warranty. I haven't seen loaner prices that interested me when factoring in the history of the car.
      09-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #21
jeegunkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive, 2023 M3CX

As much as I hate the idea of buying a loaner car, my G20 330i xDrive M Sport was one of the dealer's loaner cars. I scoured up to 100 miles out from my location to hunt for the color and options I wanted. When I finally found it, it ended up being a loaner with about 4K miles on it. Overall experience was fine, although I did find a curb rash on one of the front wheels after picking it up and still have not come to a resolution with the dealer so I stated this during the BMW USA survey they sent after my purchase. Aside from that, the car itself so far has been a pure pleasure and I've been enjoying it.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 01:59 PM   #22
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Almost every loaner I've driven has been overdo on an oil change.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0