XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
EZ_TUR90
Ez tur90
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M6

Exclamation Keep Your Distance

I will like to share with you an accident I witnessed this morning.

I was on my way to work when the car next to me was rear ended. It was a pretty big hit and it could have all been prevented if the driver had kept his distance. The car that was hit had a child in the back seat who was yelling. I assume the kid had to be about two years old because he was in a childrens car seat.

I pulled over to help, but thank God no one was hurt. I gave my information to both parties and drove away.

I know we all speed and drive recklessly; but accidents happen when you least expect it, like in traffic. Just a heads up guys keep your eyes on the road and keep a distance from the car in front of you!

Have a safe day guys!
      11-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335

I've seen too many nasty wrecks/been in some myself that I'm always looking out.

There's alot of shitty drivers out there, you have to be defensive.

Another tip, have an escape route planned, and if I'm boxed in I get the hell out.
      11-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

My favorite is the A-holes who text and drive, swerving all over the place. I watched a young girl run off the road and hit a curb, mailbox and light pole due to texting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
My favorite is the A-holes who text and drive, swerving all over the place. I watched a young girl run off the road and hit a curb, mailbox and light pole due to texting.
Same here. I told a friend that when she posted some stuff on facebook about traffic. She got all sorts of bent out of shape about me "lecturing" her and said can do it at the same time just fine.

I just told her fine, I just hope she's right. And to enjoy it while she can because it will be banned soon enough. Really pissed me off.

There was a lady that died in Houston over the weekend. Lost control of her car and hit the cement divider on the freeway and died. They found a plate of food in the car. The accident wasn't bad, but she wasn't wearing a seatbelt. She would have lived had she been.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Darwinism at it's finest IMO. Anyone who thinks they can drive and text safely is just playing russian roulette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Darwinism at it's finest IMO. Anyone who thinks they can drive and text safely is just playing russian roulette.
Same thing applies to someone who thinks they can drink and drive.

Can't tell you how many times I've heard, "Bro I'm a good drunk driver."
      11-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc57 View Post
Same thing applies to someone who thinks they can drink and drive.

Can't tell you how many times I've heard, "Bro I'm a good drunk driver."
+1

I have texted already while driving though. But was at night on long straights & quiet streets that i know well. it's amazing how much of your surrounding you miss by texting. much worse than calling imo.

Something i see happening alot aswell is this : people wanting to merge on a 50-55mph road or any speed road for that matter, although not being in the first spot to merge yet, they keep looking over to the road diagonally behind them , and without noticing it just drive straight in the rear of the one still waiting for clear road :/
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ_TUR90 View Post
I will like to share with you an accident I witnessed this morning.

I was on my way to work when the car next to me was rear ended. It was a pretty big hit and it could have all been prevented if the driver had kept his distance. The car that was hit had a child in the back seat who was yelling. I assume the kid had to be about two years old because he was in a childrens car seat.

I pulled over to help, but thank God no one was hurt. I gave my information to both parties and drove away.
I know we all speed and drive recklessly; but accidents happen when you least expect it, like in traffic. Just a heads up guys keep your eyes on the road and keep a distance from the car in front of you!

Have a safe day guys!
Were you involved in the accident?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bols View Post
+1

I have texted already while driving though. But was at night on long straights & quiet streets that i know well. it's amazing how much of your surrounding you miss by texting. much worse than calling imo.

Something i see happening alot aswell is this : people wanting to merge on a 50-55mph road or any speed road for that matter, although not being in the first spot to merge yet, they keep looking over to the road diagonally behind them , and without noticing it just drive straight in the rear of the one still waiting for clear road :/
Even though I don't like texting while driving, I still do it occasionally. It's just easier to text sometimes than to talk. Not the best practice, but whatever. What I don't get is how people text while driving MT.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Yeah, I saw a motorcycle go down this morning right after it started raining, on my way back from the gym. Luckily I was about the only other car on the road so no collateral at all. Bad thing was he was like 90% of Iowan cruiser riders and not wearing a helmet. Went away in an ambulance with probably a pretty severe concussion.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Did a good thing by stopping and helping them out. Some people just drive on by. I never text while driving, way to annoying and risky. People always make up stuff saying theirs a proper way to text and drive, such nonsense lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
EZ_TUR90
Ez tur90
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
Were you involved in the accident?
I wasn't involved in the accident.
      11-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #12
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Did a good thing by stopping and helping them out. Some people just drive on by. I never text while driving, way to annoying and risky. People always make up stuff saying theirs a proper way to text and drive, such nonsense lol.
I text when I'm at a stoplight, don't see any issues with that.

Honestly I think going through your playlist/radio songs while driving is just as bad. You just have to use better judgement.
      11-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #13
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ_TUR90 View Post
I wasn't involved in the accident.
talk about a good samaritan?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 12:13 AM   #14
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

My wife was hit 3 weeks ago because some jackass was texting and driving, and the car right behind my wife was too close. Texting drivier hits the car behind my wife, which drives that guy into the back of the wife's SUV. Thankfully she was on the way to pick up the kids, and didn't have them in the car yet.

$1,600 in damages, but thankfully no injuries.
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #15
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc57 View Post
I text when I'm at a stoplight, don't see any issues with that.

Honestly I think going through your playlist/radio songs while driving is just as bad. You just have to use better judgement.
At a stoplight it's fine, as long as you get moving when the light turns green lol.
Appreciate 0