XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-28-2020, 09:57 PM   #89
subbu001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Hi Everyone. The Unit still has not been received by DHL. So still in waiting mode.

The good thing is I got all my accessories like Aux Cable, usb extensions, the pry tools, etc from Amazon.

So I went ahead with just installing the Aux and USB extension cable.

1. Removed the panel on the passenger side. Just the long panel that runs mostly along Side.

2. Used the pry tool to remove the Aux and USB panel inside the center console.

3. Used the pry tool to remove the Shifter Cover just like the instructions above (1) put a tape on all of the trim and (2) started on the front left corner. The drawing from above were super helpful. - thank you Argento.

4. Before I unscrewed the shifter assembly I had an idea.

5. I shined a torch light inside the the center console.

6. I looked through the last hole from Step 1. I could see the light at the end of the dark tunnel.

7. So I attached the cable to a thin wire stick I made from a old wire hanger and sent it towards the light.

8. Moved over to the inside of the Center console and saw the wire to my delight.

9. Fished the wire out.

10. Used the triangular and circular files as recommended by Argento - thank you.

11. Tucked the excess wire in the side panel.
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      06-29-2020, 01:46 PM   #90
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

^Great work! Nice to know there is a pass through. I update the above post with pix of my final routing config.
      06-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #91
subbu001
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yup. So technically we do not have to touch the shifter cover at all. It did help my confidence to successfully remove the shifter cover and put it back.

I must say the filing tip was excellent. The files I bought for less than $10 were certainly worth it.
Appreciate 1
argento527.50
      07-01-2020, 08:47 PM   #92
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvirgi View Post
Great - is your version wired or wireless carplay? 1280 or 1920 resolution?

Testing -
Try Testing like this: You can call a 2nd phone (mute the 2nd one if you have it in the car) and listen to it. Tap your finger on the OEM mic, and tap on the side of the new screen where mic is and you'll be able to tell which one its using.
Tests:
1 - Pair 1st phone and check which mic its using during a call - Using android bluetooth
2 - Now check this same phone using carplay call to make sure its the same mic.
3 - After the call, confirm if it still shows your phone is connected in the communication section.
4 - Pair a 2nd phone and do the same testing (now calling the 1st phone).

For me, the 1st phone successfully showed OEM mic and never dropped the BT. But on the 2nd, it was dropping BT. It would initially show it connected, but then once you went to the home screen and looked at the communication section it showed no connection.

Was able to start this, however I had issues with carplay and didn't finish. All I can report is that both 1 and 2 above use the Android MIC.

I had some issues going from carplay to car...where carplay just wouldn't connect when I returned. It sat 'waiting'. I will say it's a bit frustrating getting to learn the nuances of this system and sitting in my car in the driveway for long periods isn't a conducive environment. I only get 1 bar at my house (0 in my garage), so that could also be contributing to the issues. The system is about 95% reliable, but that missing 5% is SO important. IE: I thought I set WIFI to always ON, but it doesn't come on at start. So I start it. Then I turn it off to test...then later I see it came back on. If I disconnect BT, it takes many iterations to connect it back, etc. Force stopping the carplay doesn't fix the issue. I had to walk away...a few hours later, at start carplay is working. I switch over to car and then I can't get back in to carplay. I feel like I waste a lot of time.
      07-02-2020, 09:28 PM   #93
subbu001
Enlisted Member
Rep

Help help help

I followed all the YouTube instructions. But unit DUD not power on. After retrying a few times, I connected the original OEM screen and that too is not powering on! AC works. Phew. But no radio or screen functions. How should I troubleshoot this? Why is OEM not working? My wife told me not to meddle! Shucks.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #94
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbu001 View Post
Help help help

I followed all the YouTube instructions. But unit DUD not power on. After retrying a few times, I connected the original OEM screen and that too is not powering on! AC works. Phew. But no radio or screen functions. How should I troubleshoot this? Why is OEM not working? My wife told me not to meddle! Shucks.
Have you checked the fuses? And your radio works?
      07-02-2020, 09:45 PM   #95
subbu001
Enlisted Member
Rep

Where is that?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 09:47 PM   #96
argento
Captain
Rep

Trunk, right side. Pull the panel off, look at the diagram for the radio, etc.

Also under the passenger panel, lower front right, under dash.

Also did you make sure the connectors are fully in? I've had that be the problem before...

Go here, display wiring diagram, click on A4010, it shows you that the location is under the passenger dash...Fuse 17, 5A

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...splay/B3GeSKcN

Fuse: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...sav/1VnYgTg9yP

You also need to check this connector to your OEM monitor: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...sav/1Vnbs9XvCW
This provides power to your OEM monitor, but not to your Android monitor; make sure wires look fine and pins connected. Have a multimeter, check voltages Pin1 (red/power) to Pin3 (gnd). If powered, then it's internal to monitor(s) :-/ that seems unlikely for both to internally fail at the same time, so let's hope it's not that.

ALSO these links are for X5M, what's your vehicle?

Your CIC (radio) fuse is in the rear, Fuse 142, 20A, check that too...this would power your Android Monitor and CIC.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...r-cic/H2MeJql6

If you can see Android Screen but not OEM Screen, then that's an easy fix. Cycle through all the CAR TYPES until it shows up.

Another check: make sure connector x17427 is properly connected, it's on the back of your cic (radio)...it's the LVDS cable that runs from the CIC to the android monitor or Oem monitor. Pic here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...sav/1VncWkzhrj

Last edited by argento; 07-02-2020 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 10:09 PM   #97
subbu001
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you. Mine is 2013 X5 35i. Should be the same right?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 10:21 PM   #98
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. Mine is 2013 X5 35i. Should be the same right?
Similar. Wire colors in my links could be diff. Any concerns go to your specific vehicle, search for cIC or N38b to get started

Definitely disconnect and reconnect all connections, worth a try.

Link to my install diagram to make sure similar

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26233725
      07-02-2020, 10:29 PM   #99
subbu001
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi - No radio. No volume No OEM Monitor working.

So does that mean I need to rest both the monitor fuse (Fuse 17, 5A) under Pax Dash and Fuse 142, 20A in the Rear.

How do you reset a fuse? Is it just a switch like the fuse at home?

Thank you for your reply.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 10:32 PM   #100
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hi - No radio. No volume No OEM Monitor working.

So does that mean I need to rest both the monitor fuse (Fuse 17, 5A) under Pax Dash and Fuse 142, 20A in the Rear.

How do you reset a fuse? Is it just a switch like the fuse at home?

Thank you for your reply.
Sound like the fuse. Fuse 142, 20A, Trunk, right side behind carpet panel, lift cover. Pull out 142 check, replace if necessary w same amperage. The fuse should not have a break in the filament. There should be a red removal tool.

Hey, follow the diagram in your fuse box, I'm saying 20A from the newtis links, the diagram should govern.
      07-02-2020, 11:14 PM   #101
subbu001
Enlisted Member
Rep

Checked F142 - 20A: fuse is blown! Yet to check F17. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 11:24 PM   #102
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Checked F142 - 20A: fuse is blown! Yet to check F17. Thank you.
Glad to hear. That should do it. F17 is only for oem monitor.

I installed w negative battery cable removed to be safe.
      07-03-2020, 06:16 PM   #103
subbu001
Enlisted Member
Rep

I need help again. Sorry.

The 142 Fuse was correct. I have semi installed the unit now. Yet to screw it in and put the last air condition vent panel.

I tested the unit.

Switched on. Got the OEM screen to work by cycling the the options.

New problem - no sound! I have the aux cable connected in the center console and to the harness.

FYI - when I connected the new fuse. The old panel and sound worked without problem.

SOLVED - When I checked the wiring at the back again, the optic (green) cable had come out. Putting it back in solved the sound issue.

Last edited by subbu001; 07-03-2020 at 11:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 12:47 AM   #104
argento
Captain
Rep

Sorry offline all day, really glad you figured it out. Also always check the aux out cable prior to reinstalling CIC. We tend to not leave aux cable slack behind the CIC, and it disconnects when you pull out that CIC module, at least for me.
      07-04-2020, 08:55 AM   #105
subbu001
Enlisted Member
Rep

Three questions so far in testing the unit.

1. Sound - the only way I get sound to play over the speakers from the android unit is if I - based on a you tube video - go to OEM screen select Aux set the sound level and when it turns red but don't go back. Switch to Android screen by tapping the screen. Then I can hear the sound in the android screen.

Is this the way the sound has to played in this unit?

2. CarPlay - how to set it up?
Watched you tube videos. Disconnected from OEM Bluetooth. Connect to Android Unit Bluetooth. Connected to WiFi hotspot from phone. The Zlink app almost launches immediately. It keeps rotating saying connecting. But does not connect. I also clicked on the bottom right red icon. It said about activation. I pressed the refresh button and it said activation successful. But still not able to connect.

The Android Auto app does not connect at all. Perhaps I need the usb dongle for that.

3. WiFi - not sure why but keeps disconnecting a lot when I go to OEM screen and back or at times in the middle of a zlink app. I need to keep checking and reconnecting it.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 11:01 AM   #106
argento
Captain
Rep

1. There's OEM sound and Android sound. If you switch to the OEM/CAR side the monitor switches so you can listen to OEM media. When you switch over from OEM to Android the OEM sound will continue to play unless you switch to an android media app. I was able, on my old monitor, to listen to OEM Satellite and have Waze on the screen. You want the Aux Level to be as low as possible for best sound, however you have to balance that when equalizing the volume. I have my OEM Aux Level set to 1/4 full.

2. Do you have wireless carplay option? You cannot have both OEM BT and Android BT ON. If you do not have wireless, you need the optional dongle. Once connected via BT you should be able to connect wirelessly, but if I switch out of carplay back to CAR, I have trouble getting back into carplay. I have to power down and wait X time and start over.

3. Mine does the same, drops, then connects for a long while, then suddenly drops. I haven't figured out why. BTW, I haven't tried with mobile hotspot. Here's a Q/A I had with 4x4 on WIFI:
Q: WIFI doesn’t automatically connect, even with settings set to do so;
A: You need to turn off the hotspot from your phone and turn it back on, time out on the hotspot from your phone.
      07-04-2020, 04:13 PM   #107
subbu001
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
1. There's OEM sound and Android sound. If you switch to the OEM/CAR side the monitor switches so you can listen to OEM media. When you switch over from OEM to Android the OEM sound will continue to play unless you switch to an android media app. I was able, on my old monitor, to listen to OEM Satellite and have Waze on the screen. You want the Aux Level to be as low as possible for best sound, however you have to balance that when equalizing the volume. I have my OEM Aux Level set to 1/4 full.

2. Do you have wireless carplay option? You cannot have both OEM BT and Android BT ON. If you do not have wireless, you need the optional dongle. Once connected via BT you should be able to connect wirelessly, but if I switch out of carplay back to CAR, I have trouble getting back into carplay. I have to power down and wait X time and start over.

3. Mine does the same, drops, then connects for a long while, then suddenly drops. I haven't figured out why. BTW, I haven't tried with mobile hotspot. Here's a Q/A I had with 4x4 on WIFI:
Q: WIFI doesn’t automatically connect, even with settings set to do so;
A: You need to turn off the hotspot from your phone and turn it back on, time out on the hotspot from your phone.
1. Thank you. I tried playing spotify on the Android side but did not have any volume. Perhaps I will try it again with just isolating the sequence and really increasing the volume. I got the whole unit to play Waze. Do you use Waze via Carplay or from the Androis App.

2. I am supposed to have Wireless Carplay. Which bluetooth do you use? And do you need hotspot / wifi to be connected as well?

I first paired my phone using the OEM Bluetooth but on the Android screen phone says it is not connected. As such was having no luck connecting to Carplay. Then I switched in Settings to Android Bluetooth. Then car play was trying to connect immediately. But no actual successful connection. I also made sure the wifi & hotspot were on.

3. Yup turning hotspot on and off does work when it drops after some time. But there is something else disconnecting it intermittently.

I live in an apartment. So have to go down to keep trying all these iterations. Sighhhhh.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 05:20 PM   #108
subbu001
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi - just left with wireless CarPlay Error

I connect to android Bluetooth
I go to Zlink App
Error pops up saying "hardware err, no MFI#"

Does anyone know this error?

I get the error in the follow step:

Phone is not connected to anything

1. Unit and car switch on
2. Android Bluetooth connection starts and is established in 20 sec
3. Zlink app launches immediately and I get this error starlight away.

Then the app keeps saying connecting again and again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 07:35 PM   #109
argento
Captain
Rep

Has it connected ever? Confirm from the vendor you bought wireless CarPlay.

Or make sure you can download the app from Google Play, delete the app, and reload. Forget the device on your phone. Try again.
      07-04-2020, 08:04 PM   #110
subbu001
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sighhh. Never connected. Contacting the vendor now. Using iPhone for CarPlay. Tried with another iPhone as well. Same error.
Appreciate 0