XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

05-04-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
bmwx6me
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71 CIC 2010

BMW X6 E71 DIY Cruise Control retrofit

Hi All,
I am new on the BMW xbimmers forum.

I am looking for DIY Cruise Control retrofit or ACC/Adaptive Cruise Control for BMW retrofit on X6 E71 CIC 2010.

I have already successfully retrofit ACC/HBA/Side Assist/Lane Assist on my other car Audi A4/B8/2011 and wondering if can retrofit few other missing system on my X6 E71.

I found one but for F30/F20 series but not much information for E71 series.

Can anyone advise?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 06:31 AM   #2
bmwx6me
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71 CIC 2010

BMW Cruse Control types:
1 - SA540 Cruise Control - set speed is maintained by the engine
2 - SA544 Cruse Control with break function (LDM) - include curve speed limit, set speed in addition to SA540 is also implemented by break activation via the DSC
3 - S541A Active cruise control (ACC) - contains the functionality os SA544 and distance control via the ACC sensor
4 - S5DFA Active cruise control+Stop&Go function
At this post I am evaluating retrofit of option 1/2.

Having experience of retrofit ACC including home made calibration on VW group cars (Audi), reading Exx E7x and Fxx documentation and many different BMW forums it seems the following steps are required:

1. Replace - Steering Column Switch Cluster (SZL) with the one with lower steering column stalk for Cruise Control, as per www.etk.cc/
Guess here are two variants:
- just add lower steering column stalk for Cruise Control
- replace the Steering Column Switch Cluster
make sure Coil Spring version supports Cruise Control signal as there are more signals transported over that unit (PT-CAN bus):
• Activation of driver airbag
• Control buttons SMG (being prepared)
• Multifunction buttons
• Horn
• Steering wheel heating
Then perform Steering Column Switch Cluster/Coil Spring – calibration – in case of unit replacement.

Some info here: http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/e7...%20Cluster.pdf

2. Codding (with NCS Expert) SZL to allow PT-CAN data flow around ABS/Engine/CC Stalk/Kombi):
- change VO (Vehicle Ordered) by adding relevant future #540 or #541
- code KOMBI ( Instrument cluster to allow Crouse control display)
- code DSC-ABS (engine for #540, ABS pomp will be involved in case of #544 or #541 )
- code SZL - Steering Column Switch Cluster
I have a copy of my entire car coding and cannot find relevant TEMPOMAT / CRUISE line to modify

My CAS coding does contain:

CRUISE_CONTROL nicht_aktiv
CRUISE_CTRL nicht_aktiv
K4D03_ANZEIGE_TEMPOMAT par_gesperrt
CRUISE_CTRL_CCC nicht_aktiv
TEMPOMAT_SETZ_ANZ_DAUER wert_01 change set cruise control time on display "_01" in sec.
CRUISE_CTRL_CHAMP nicht_aktiv

But in KOMBI I cannot find any setting referring to Cruise/TMPOMAT three are only setting referring to ACC.

I found that in E7x SZL unit is now part of ABS-DSC – is that correct?

See attached original coding dump.

Anyone can help here?
Attached Files
File Type: zip CAS.ZIP (67.5 KB, 1176 views)

Last edited by bmwx6me; 06-05-2015 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #3
bonzo11
Rep
Drives: X5

Hi,
Have you managed to retrofit your cruise control?

I've retrofitted cruise control to X5 E70 (got SZL from other X5) and after coding it does not work.
I've added $544 to CAS and FRM and coded (SD_Coderien with blank FSW_PSW.MAN file) all modules, then calibrated steering sensor, but CC is not working. No error messages on dash and car works fine, but CC stalk is in 'look only' mode.
When connected INPA it shows 6E0F DCC: Fehler in Interface zun Kombi-Instrument --- (DSC: Instrumentenkombination Schnittstelle), ISTA+ says DSC: Instrument cluster, interface.
Cannot think what else needs to be done?
Some ppl says on E90 forum that Car accessories in DME needs to be reset, but INPA menu is different with N57 engine and cannot find this reset option.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #4
dmailloux
Navy Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 CBM X6M

Garage List
Did you have any luck with the retrofit? I want to confirm that youre attempting a adaptive cruise control retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 02:09 AM   #5
bonzo11
Rep
Drives: X5

No luck and I was attempting to retrofit cruise control with breaking ($544), not active one ($541).
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #6
dumitru.o
coding BMW.....
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi guys

I did it on e70 2008 3.0d with $544 from factory.

You need:

- ACC
- SZL for ACC (not only stalk)
- LDM (in my case)

From certain month/year the LDM role is integrated in the DSC. You can find this date in TIS

Coding with LCI year and $5DF

Last edited by dumitru.o; 04-08-2019 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 02:03 PM   #7
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E70 BMW X5d

Pretty cool

Thanks for the confirmation. I have a 2012 US LCI E70 and am considering giving this a shot. Was most of the harness existing? If not, is it a part number to buy? Any high level details of the wiring the ACC into the car would be appreciated. I believe the LDM is in my X5's DSC.

By the way, I was in Romania a month ago- Brasov. I really liked Romania. Fun people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumitru.o View Post
Hi guys

I did it on e70 2008 3.0d with $544 from factory.

You need:

- ACC
- SZL for ACC (not only stalk)
- LDM (in my case)

From certain month/year the LDM role is integrated in the DSC. You can find this date in TIS

Coding with LCI year and $5DF
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:16 PM   #8
dumitru.o
coding BMW.....
Romania
Rep

Red face

glad you liked it !

there is no pre-existing wiring harness, you have to create everything. here is the diagram, it s pretty simple:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...t-ldm/CkNaK1aO
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 12:56 AM   #9
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

Nice

Yes, not bad. Finding the right pins and connectors is always a pain, at least for me. If you wrote down any part numbers it would be great if it's not a pain for you.

Seems like ISTA-P was able to code the hydro/DSC unit and everything else for you and all you had to add was the SLZ & LDM, right?

I have been looking on eBay and the radars there don't have the BMW part number stamped on there so I need to find a cross reference.

This seems pretty doable so I will try to find the parts, connectors, & pins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumitru.o View Post
glad you liked it !

there is no pre-existing wiring harness, you have to create everything. here is the diagram, it s pretty simple:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...t-ldm/CkNaK1aO

Last edited by robinasu; 01-26-2020 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 08:48 PM   #10
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

SZL

Looks like the SZL for my US E70 LCI car will be hard to find used and is $650US new.

I will keep looking for a deal. Let me know if there is a Romanian discount someplace.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 03:20 AM   #11
dumitru.o
coding BMW.....
Romania
Rep

I did all the coding with NCS after i programmed the new modules with winkfp.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #12
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71 40d (2012)

Hi all.
Watching this with interest. I have an E71 LCI from 2013 that already has cruise with brake function so I am looking at adding this along with lane keep assist (I have the right KaFAS unit and camera already so just coding I hope) and a heated steering wheel.

I have the right SZL, stalk, bracket and the radar sensor is on it's way.

I also have a ACC control unit (LDM) but now realise I don't need that as my DSC will have the functions in it already.

So to the question.... does anyone know where to find the wiring harness, or the connector for the radar/ACC sensor?

I found a plastic connector on ebay but it comes without pins and they can't tell me which ones to buy so thats not much use.

I assume I will also need some pins to do the S_Can wiring?

A second question is about wiring. The diagram on TIS shows wiring it up to the LDM, but in my case I don't believe I need that so where is the wiring diagram to connect it to the DSC?

If I get this to work I will post back the results here also.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 04:20 PM   #13
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

SZL

Quote:
Originally Posted by radial View Post
Hi all.
Watching this with interest. I have an E71 LCI from 2013 that already has cruise with brake function so I am looking at adding this along with lane keep assist (I have the right KaFAS unit and camera already so just coding I hope) and a heated steering wheel.

I have the right SZL, stalk, bracket and the radar sensor is on it's way.

I also have a ACC control unit (LDM) but now realise I don't need that as my DSC will have the functions in it already.

So to the question.... does anyone know where to find the wiring harness, or the connector for the radar/ACC sensor?

I found a plastic connector on ebay but it comes without pins and they can't tell me which ones to buy so thats not much use.

I assume I will also need some pins to do the S_Can wiring?

A second question is about wiring. The diagram on TIS shows wiring it up to the LDM, but in my case I don't believe I need that so where is the wiring diagram to connect it to the DSC?

If I get this to work I will post back the results here also.
Question: where did you source the SZL with the ACC distance dial? Does yours have the dial? It's been really hard to find for me. I am not looking to buy new off the shelf.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 05:30 AM   #14
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinasu View Post
Question: where did you source the SZL with the ACC distance dial? Does yours have the dial? It's been really hard to find for me. I am not looking to buy new off the shelf.
I got a bit lucky as it came as part of the setup I got on eBay for my heated wheel upgrade. For the heated wheel I needed a new clock spring and wheel but I found a set that was the wheel, control unit, clock spring and all the stalks..... one of which happened to be the one for ACC.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 05:36 AM   #15
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Struggling to find the sensor now though.

Does anyone know / have experience of upgrading their ACC sensor for the ACC2 sensor?

The ACC part that is listed for my (all) X6 E71s is the old one 66316863329 but they are crazy money even second hand... over £1200.

However I can acquire a reasonably priced ACC2 sensor that a breaker says is from an X6 and even provided the VIN. That part is 6779874. But I can only match that to a saloon car.

So can you upgrade from the ACC to ACC2 sensor? Can you interchange sensors between some cars? And any other thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 11:47 AM   #16
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

Wires

Quote:
I got a bit lucky as it came as part of the setup I got on eBay for my heated wheel upgrade. For the heated wheel I needed a new clock spring and wheel but I found a set that was the wheel, control unit, clock spring and all the stalks..... one of which happened to be the one for ACC.
You did get lucky. Nice. In the US, it's pretty hard to find. I hope I can just code the ACC to the distance I want as default and live with any network complaints.

Is this the harness you are looking for?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3299...393f4c4dqlSkZm

In the E70, I am pretty sure I need the LDM. The link above connects the ACC to the LDM. The LDM then connects to the two CAN networks.

Also, here is the connector to the LDM with pins. You can figure out which pins from a Tyco catalog and maybe buy them from Newark.com, Digikey.com, or Mouser.com:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3286...393f4c4dqlSkZm
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 07:07 AM   #17
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Hard to find here too from what I can see. It just happened to come with it.

I saw some people talking about changing the minimum speed that it will activate at so sure you could change the distance. From what I've see though, the older modules are not very fast which is why the distance is likely relatively far away. Can't find that thread now to share it.

That harness will work with the newer ACC2 yes, I believe that connector is P/N 8364624 and the pins for it are 61130005201.
However, if I need to use the older ACC unit, it has a 12 ping connector as far as I know. Trying to find photos of it is hard.

As for the LDM, I'm not sure I need it as at some point the functions of the LDM were integrated into the DSC unit and I have a later / newer version of the DSC (6864696), although I would perhaps need the pins to connect into the spaces on the DSC connector. Do you have any thoughts on that? It was something I read on other posts but perhaps applies to much later models like F series. Certainly the wiring diagram on newTis suggests I need it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 07:27 AM   #18
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Also on the instrument panel, I can see that I have the little markings in there for ACC but not sure if they light up yet.

If you already have cruise with brake function in KPH then the part number is the same. But for MPH cars, they don't list a different part for cars with ACC... so one can only assume that it's one and the same again.

See here ...
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=62_0499
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 09:02 AM   #19
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Just been sent images of the ACC1 sensor 66316863329
Apparently the same 8 pin connector. Must have been given duff information on the other thread I read.

See attached photos of 66316863329
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 11:50 PM   #20
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

Radar

That looks my radar. Don’t have it in front of me. Not sure about the F series, but I thought all LCI E series use a radar that looks like yours. Not sure. The previous radar actually used two radars: a short range and long range. The radar you have has both built in, I believe.

My cluster also has the ACC lights.

TIS seems to indicate I need the LDM for the E70. I will hook it up using back probes to test it before any major ripping and shredding.

For flashing, I will use ISTA-P and a power supply. Hopefully ISTA-P won’t complain about the wrong SZL, but I doubt it. I might have to figure out how to do it manually.

Quote:
Just been sent images of the ACC1 sensor 66316863329
Apparently the same 8 pin connector. Must have been given duff information on the other thread I read.

See attached photos of 66316863329
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 09:29 AM   #21
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Those photos are of one available on eBay in the US. Sounds good though if thats what you have also.
Its reasonably priced but I'm going to get stung £100 for importing it.
Maybe I just have to bite the bullet... I have all the other parts now.

On the ISTA-P front... I'd be interested to see a step by step if you get that coded. Sounds like you will get there before me.

Speaking of power supply... people have said a 70amp supply but that is MASSIVE. Is that really right? That is a serious workshop piece of kit.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 06:31 PM   #22
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

I modded a server 70A power supply. They are cheap on eBay. Sent you a PM with the link - not sure why it was being ****'d.

Works great. I flashed a module ISTA-P said needed an update using the BimmerGeeks cable and my power supply with no sues, yet.

Maybe I will work on it this week- not sure. I will update you as I go or on success.
Appreciate 0