11-26-2020, 09:25 AM   #4
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakE70 View Post
Thank you for advice.

I was watching some Youtube videos and saw some guy testing them by connecting to 9V battery and see if they are actuating. Maybe could be a good idea test them this way before purchasing new ones ?
I know that getting to them is some work but that's not a problem for me.

Another question - timing chain stretch - if that would be the case, tensioner should be fully extended right ? Maybe i even take out timing cover and look at tensioner, just to be sure (as i will already be there).

Maybe a noob question, just to be 100 % sure - Bank 2 is cylinder 5 - 8 right ? driver side ?
That test won't help you much, if the solenoid was completely dead you would get an error within a minute of startup. If you have a decent laptop, I really recommend you download ISTA and pickup a DCAN cable so you can test. The Tests In ISTA were extensive and showed me that the other three solenoids on my engine were getting out of spec too even though they had not thrown codes yet so I just replaced them all. It shows you live data as it tests of the cam advance/retard it is requesting vs actual. You can recalibrate it after installing new Solenoids too which is recommended. Amazon has the DCAN cables I can find a link to the one I use which as worked excellent. I downloaded from bimmergeeks

With ISTA you will have access to all of the BMW workshop manuals again. It's kinda of a pain to install and learn but worth it.

Yep bank 2 is drivers side.
Appreciate 0