11-26-2020, 06:45 AM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakE70 View Post
Hello guys,

Last couple days i am getting Engine fault message on idrive. It happened 3 times already in last 5 days. No prior problems or faults with the engine nor with the car. First time it happend i was driving normaly pulling from stop sign and engine fault message pop up. But engine was running normally, no misfiring, knocking etc. So i pulled over, restart the car and no more idrive message. I was 20 miles from home, so drove home with no problems. 3 miles from home i stopped at gas station, filled her up and as soon as i drowe away from gas station Engine fault again but this time with check engine light. But again engine was running fine and smooth.
Next day i started the car and all was good exept check engine light still lit on the dashboard, but no idrive message and engine was running smooth. Went to my friend - mechanic who has OBD2 scanner and this codes it showed :

P0022 - "A" CAMSHAFT position- timing over-retarded (Bank 2)
2A7F – VANOS intake

So it looks to me like Vanos solenoid is becoming faulty – maybe dirty / clogged up ? We erased the codes and i was back on the road with no problems.
Yesterday same scenario, was driving through traffic and Engine fault on idrive poped-up (no CEL this time) but engine ran smooth. So pulled over, restarted it and message went away and all was back to normal. I didn't have time to scan it yet, but even this morning car started fine (cold start at -2 C / 28 F) and no Engine fault or rpm fluctuation.
So is this just random Vanos solenoid malfunction or maybe cam sprocket getting faulty ? Im changing oil every 5000 miles and last oil change was 2500 miles ago (fresh 5W-40 LL-01 oil with MANN filter) so i don't see how solenoids can get dirty/cloged but understand these things can wear out.
So can i just take out Vanos solenoids and clean them ? I was thinking maybe clean them and swap the intake and exhaust and see if code returns to exhaust cam - that should confirm faulty solenoid, isn't it ?
I would recommend you just replace it, getting to them it a bit of work, requiring removal of the Intercooler. Possible could be the cam adjuster or timing chain stretch but usually it's the solenoids. If you have ISTA and a DCAN cable, you can test the solenoids and see if they are out of spec. The new Solenoids have an improved design

If you do change it, don't forget to run the intercooler bleeding procedure after. Don't have it in front of me but if you search the web you will find it.
Appreciate 0