01-05-2014, 02:14 AM   #4
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraridriver69 View Post
Intercoolers don't add any hp. They only provide proper cooling to sustain maximum efficiency at all times even when screaming around all day long.
Yes and no, cooler air is denser air more air = more power. So bolting on an upgraded intercooler itself may not do anything unless you are suffering from heat soak already. If that's the case the vehicle will pull timing and you lose power.
However I am planning on really cranking things up, if I add 150hp and 130ftlbs I am sure I would benefit from an upgraded intercooler(s) I also will get a custom dyno tune to further make use of the cooler air. Without anyone doing any testing no one can say either way if it helps or not, it may help with pressure drop as well if you get a free flowing IC.

I am just looking into it right now it seems no one really tests much out on this platform....I am a speed junkie and although I realize I drive a 5,000lb SUV but I already have a date with a twin turbo SRT8 jeep in the spring. I know I won't win but I hate to lose

Anyway I know Dinan makes an intercooler upgrade for the 50i so I may end up calling them and get the specs on their IC. I was hoping 1FASTX5 could chime in with a couple measurements of the Dinan unit anyway. I would think if was an upgrade for the X5M Dinan would be marketing it as such?? The Dinan ones say 23% larger than 50i units so does anyone have measurements of the stock 50i units?

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 01-05-2014 at 02:23 AM..
Appreciate 0