03-02-2020, 07:08 AM   #11
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
I have the same brake controller.

The easiest way to check if the trailer brakes are working as they are supposed to is to pull the trailer brake away cable and see if the brakes fully engage.

If they do the problem is likely a blown fuse in the tow vehicle for power to the brakes. I've had that happen.

Tekonsha has great tech support, call them with a voltage tester.
Originally my issue was a blown fuse, then it turned out my factory harness splitoff for a controller has the blue and black wire switched. Long story short, I ended up having 3 issues. First was a bown fuse, second was the harness being wired wrong, and third was that I counted on my trailer being functional, and it wasnt... making the entire process of troubleshooting really hard, since I can't solve 2 different problems with no "check"

Switching those solved the controller issue. But my controller still wasn't sensing and brakes on my trailer, so I had a buddy with a truck who's used the trailer before come hook up to it. No brakes. Start investigating, and the brake system has no continuity.

I traced all the wiring, found a broken broke power line at one of the pass-throughs into the frame by the front axle. Broken wire before they split off, so both axles were unpowered. I fixed the wire, but there's no gasket there or anything, so there's no reason that it won't happen again. I think I'm going to take some sealant or seam sealer or something and fill that space with it, so that i kind of locks the wires in place in that pass through. When the axles move for bumps, I'd rather it wear/ break wires OUTSIDE of the frame than have to pull the wiring through the entire frame again.

Now I've got a wired brake controller, which is better at the end of the day since I couldnt brake and use my turn signals with the RF unit. It worked great other than the weird turn signal behavior, and in hindsight, the fast that my brake wire was broken is likely why I couldnt get it to pair with the cabin controller again. Going to list the RF unit for sale soon, it was expensive, and while I'm doing long distance towing I'd rather have the knowledge that mine's hardwired in.

Last edited by Spyro235; 03-02-2020 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: Reread my first statement, and it sounded unintentionally harsh. changed a bit.
Appreciate 0