View Single Post
      02-26-2020, 07:20 AM   #5
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5034 View Post
I have Redarc controller.. so you want a photo of the wire connections to verify? The wire labels I'm sure are the same.

I don't think many people have installed a controller.
It's actually turning out to be a few issues... one being that my trailer brakes are suddenly not working! So, One of the two ways I wired the controller was probably right, and when I was assuming the trailer was a good "check" device, it threw errors. It still threw the same "no trailer connected" error when I hooked up to a friend's trailer, so I think my wiring is reversed on two wires. Another issue is that my brake circuit doesn't have continuity. I tapped the brake power and the ground line, Jumped the trailer's plug between brake power and ground, and checked for continuity. Has continuity.

Removing the jumper, no continuity- and I'm 99% sure that trailer brakes SHOULD be a closed circuit, and googling confirms that. I've got a broken line, or bad brakes somehow. Figure out this by hooking up a friend's truck with a factory brake controller, and finding "no trailer connected" on HIS truck too!

The reason I know there's an issue with my controller wiring/ wiring harness is that when I jump the brake power line and the ground, it blows the brake power fuse. That shouldn't happen- the brake power should only be live when the controller is outputting something. Right now my brake power line has live continuous power no matter what, so long as the controller is plugged in.