mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
To remove the fan belt, you would remove the pulley. If your car has over 75k on it, it's a really good idea to replace the pulleys as well as the belts. Make sure you draw a diagram of how the belt runs prior to taking the pulley off. An 18" power bar with an E60 socket (I think that's the size) is really useful in taking off and putting the main belt into place, in this situation; make physics be on your side.

To take the AC belt off, just take a pair of heavy duty garage scissors and cut it off. To put the new one back on the AC pulley and crank, I turned the crank via socket on the crank by hand with the small tool under the belt on the AC pulley. It can be done by yourself, but it's a ton easier with someone making sure the belt stays on and continues to fold over the AC pulley, while you turn the crank. I did it by myself, and it did take a few try's before I got it on. Make sure the belt is room temp and try and stretch it out a little prior to installing it on the AC pulley and crank.
Appreciate 0