View Single Post
      06-18-2020, 09:35 PM   #241
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Talking

for the longest time, i kept renewing my triple play offer which included 200mbps, phone, and basic tv. with the modem and 3 box sets, my cost was $180/month.

stuck at home and researching alternatives, i canceled my package today and now paying 300mbps for $60/ month all inclusive.

after reviewing the channel lineup from various providers like sling, hulu, etc i ultimately settled on youtube tv as they offered most of the channels i watch costing me $50/month.

saving $70/month moving forward or $840/year i feel relieved; should have done this sooner .

i found it ridiculous i was paying $40/month for 'rent' fee for the modem and 3 boxes when the modem i bought only cost $100. i mean even paying the rent fee for 5 years is $2,400, just straight up robbery

for anyone planning on cutting the cord, keep an eye out on the modem you buy. there is a major flaw with modems using the intel puma chips so better to go with broadcom. googling will net you many results. this is a hardware flaw from intel similar to their desktop chip issues so best to avoid.

the other crazy thing i found during my research is these new 'all in one' boxes that have modem, tv, and wireless router built in being offered at discounted bundled price is also a scam. from a business perspective smart strategy, but on the consumer end the box creates a secondary public wifi increasing the company's hot spot coverage. keep in mind this is using your bandwidth let alone having a secondary network open to the public.

Last edited by hl0m4n; 06-18-2020 at 11:16 PM..
Appreciate 5