beachcomberx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdoprey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkunasenbohrer View Post
Funny... exact the same numbers as in Germany converted to Euros... 33.000€ was the estimate for my X5 --- too high for the warranty company... what shall I tell, the same story ;-)

But they replace only the engine itself, all secondary parts will be removed from the old engine and installed on the new one...

I jumped in here and ordered replacement on a few parts which limited life time because the labor part is the same whether they use the old parts or new ones. This parts I had to pay of course.
I know they are probably just replacing the 'long block'. All bolt-on parts will be reused. My only real concern with that is the turbos. Of course, i'm not as familiar with the BMW V-8 as i am with others. What other parts did you replace?
There are two areas of concern with the turbos. One is the turbo coolant lines and they can leak over time. BMW charges $2k to replace these but there is a DIY fix for these that is dirt cheap. The second are the turbo wastegates. There is a bushing that the wastegate arm enters into turbo. The bushing wears out causing the wastegate to not function properly. The only fix is to replace turbo because replacing the bushing is not easy. The turbos cost $2500 each plus install.
Appreciate 0