08-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #13
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkstar9 View Post
That looks really cool.

Im gonna guess maybe it hurt the mps's in the city but you gained some mpg's on high way due to the bigger circumference.

i doubt you added more weight with extra tire than if you had just gone with bigger rims.

who thinks it's possible to do 260/55R18 without changing the suspension? or even 265/55R18 ?
You can still do the 265/60R18 without suspension. You need either 20mm spacers in the front on the stock 18x8.5 ET46 rims or you need lower offset rims. I got the idea for the tires from a thread on another forum, xoutpost, and there was a guy who put Touren TR60 5x120 18x8" ET20 rims with 265/60R18 tires on. The problem is always the design of the front suspension the hub carrier arm extends around and over top of the tire on the inside and connects to the upper control arm. This stays fixed in place and does not move, even with a lift. The largest exterior diameter you can get is 265/60R18 without touch the top. But that isn't the immediate problem...the hub carrier arm bends inward toward the tire as it comes around the top so for the wider tires you need to push the rim and tire farther away from the arm using spacers or having rims with a lower offset.

This low offset and wide tire also means you need to get fender flares if your vehicle doesn't already have them. I have the fender flares and running stock rims with 20mm spacer front and 30mm spacer rear.

If you want bigger tires than 265/60R18 then you will need to wait for a company to design a legit suspension lift complete with redesigned control arms, longer axle shafts, brake lines, wider fender flares, and rims with super low offset to completely clear the hub carrier. You would need several inches of lift to clear the wheel well and prevent the tires from rubbing on the front and rear of the wheel well. I doubt anyone will make a legit lift for this truck since it would be a lot of R&D for an almost non-exsistent market. I'm not sure it can even be done because of the front differential design.
Appreciate 1